Speculation: Goalies to Target Outside the NHL

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
If the cost of doing business with the other teams in the NHL is too high perhaps it is time to look for a goaltender outside the league.

I have a couple of suggestions:

1. Anton Krasotkin (Undrafted) 26, KHL
2. Patrik Rybar (Undrafted) 30, KHL
3. Alexander Samonov 28, KHL

All of these goalies have amazing numbers (admittedly only in the KHL) and could be acquired by the Oilers without expending trade capital. It would probably cost Katz cash which he has. My point is it is time for Holland & co. to think outside the box. I'd rather see a KHL goaltender with a .938 SV% and and 1.76 GAA over 24 games than overpay for James Reimer.

Reactions: Beerfish

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
If the cost of doing business with the other teams in the NHL is too high perhaps it is time to look for a goaltender outside the league.

I have a couple of suggestions:

1. Anton Krasotkin (Undrafted) 26, KHL
2. Patrik Rybar (Undrafted) 30, KHL
3. Alexander Samonov 28, KHL

All of these goalies have amazing numbers (admittedly only in the KHL) and could be acquired by the Oilers without expending trade capital. It would probably cost Katz cash which he has. My point is it is time for Holland & co. to think outside the box. I'd rather see a KHL goaltender with a .938 SV% and and 1.76 GAA over 24 games than overpay for James Reimer.
It would only cost cap space. So what's the plan there, as that will still cost plenty if trying to move out Soup.

Reactions: TFHockey

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
If our season rests on goalies who never played in North America or in the NHL then we've already lost the plot.

Also, whomever we signed at this stage of the season would have to pass through waivers.

I just want to stress that they have to look at unconventional solutions to a goaltender situation that is untenable.

Granted, the NHL terminated it's agreement with the KHL after the Ukraine invasion, so there is no mechanism established for players over there to come over here.

What about other leagues? There has to be someone who could be a better fit than Jake Allen at whatever astronomical price the Habs are asking for.

No thanks.

Can you agree that they should look at goalies from other leagues? NCAA, SHL, etc.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I just want to stress that they have to look at unconventional solutions to a goaltender situation that is untenable.

Granted, the NHL terminated it's agreement with the KHL after the Ukraine invasion, so there is no mechanism established for players over there to come over here.

What about other leagues? There has to be someone who could be a better fit than Jake Allen at whatever astronomical price the Habs are asking for.

There is no fit from other leagues. A goaltender can't simply parachute into an NHL role and be successful. Especially from Europe. The NHL rink is smaller so the angles are different and the European style game is different than the NHL game.

If you're signing a goalie from Russia or Europe they will need at least 40-50 games in the AHL to get up to speed on everything they need to do technically to be successful at the highest levels against the best players in the world.

Tim Thomas played 119 games in the AHL before he got to the NHL on a full time basis.

All 32 teams watch these guys at all times, to think that the Edmonton who have terrible pro scouting and mediocre at best amateur scouting is going to find the one goalie outside of the NHL that is going to come here to miraculously and save our season is a foolish endeavor.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
We should be looking at every conceivable option vs. using our 1st in a year that we could be in the lottery for a back-up.

Totally, TOTALLY agree. The point of this thread.

It would only cost cap space. So what's the plan there, as that will still cost plenty if trying to move out Soup.

Buyout Campbell in the offseason. Place him on LTIR for a mental health break, like Spencer Knight did. Or something similar.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
There is no fit from other leagues. A goaltender can't simply parachute into an NHL role and be successful. Especially from Europe. The NHL rink is smaller so the angles are different and the European style game is different than the NHL game.

If you're signing a goalie from Russia or Europe they will need at least 40-50 games in the AHL to get up to speed on everything they need to do technically to be successful at the highest levels against the best players in the world.

Tim Thomas played 119 games in the AHL before he got to the NHL on a full time basis.

All 32 teams watch these guys at all times, to think that the Edmonton who have terrible pro scouting and mediocre at best amateur scouting is going to find the one goalie outside of the NHL that is going to come here to miraculously and save our season is a foolish endeavor.
Koskinen came straight over from the KHL as did Colorado's goalie whose name escapes me.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

I take it you want to give up on the season. Or do you think the Oilers are landing Saros?

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Koskinen came straight over from the KHL as did Colorado's goalie whose name escapes me.

They also had preseason to get up to speed.

Francouz (if this is the guy you're thinking of) played 49 AHL games before getting called up.

I also would like to note that guys like Koskinen, Fasth, ect aren't very good.

Even Karel Vejmelka doesn't have great numbers with the Coyotes and seems to be losing his starters job to Ingram.

I take it you want to give up on the season. Or do you think the Oilers are landing Saros?

I would improve the defense significantly and try to ride what we have in goal because like i said in other threads. If we keep making massive errors defensively we won't win anything even with Saros in goal.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020

Yes and he was quite outspoken about the need to adapt to new rink sizes.

God I wish edmonton didn't throw the kitchen sink at him and protected him with half what Skinner is excused with... but its much to late in his regard

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
They also had preseason to get up to speed.

Francouz (if this is the guy you're thinking of) played 49 AHL games before getting called up.

I also would like to note that guys like Koskinen, Fasth, ect aren't very good.

Even Karel Vejmelka doesn't have great numbers with the Coyotes and seems to be losing his starters job to Ingram.

I would improve the defense significantly and try to ride what we have in goal because like i said in other threads. If we keep making massive errors defensively we won't win anything even with Saros in goal.

I don't want to give the impression that a big upgrade in goal is the entire solution. It's part of it, but our defense is porous. That is a whole other thread.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Yes, leave no stone unturned.

If the oilers think they can stand around and wait for skinner to get good until the trade deadline we miss the playoffs.

Skinner should be in the minors right now along with Campbell.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I don't see the Oil rolling the dice on a European tender. Most likely an established NHL B goaltender like Allen where they can shovel out draft/prospect assets to flush Campbell's Cap Hell contract. Very limited trade options on that front.

Alternative non-NHL options would be to fire up the Brinks Truck for a high-end, NHL ready pedigree prospect tender like Spencer Knight or Askarov. If Knight's OCD challenges are manageable, maybe Florida considers a move for first round picks and prospect to replenish their draft pool. $500,000 cap difference and 1 more year of Campbell at $5 million. Knight's AHL numbers look pretty average though.

Askarov's entry level salary this year and next would be a huge help. Could he onboard a poor defending NHL team and provide stable 1B goaltending in the short-term is a question. But mega pedigree and could solve Oiler goaltending for a decade with Skinner. Cost would be massive.

Quandary for the Oilers management as they half-assed the goaltending position forever. Overpay to stabilize short-term or overpay to stabilize long-term with risk in short-term?

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Can you agree that they should look at goalies from other leagues? NCAA, SHL, etc.

They certainly need to look at goalies elsewhere but I am afraid there isn't a goalie out there riding in to save the season from parts unknown this year. As has been said that goalie would need to pass through waivers (which might not be a big deal as the Oilers sit near the bottom of the pack) but they take up cap space which we do not have and a contract spot which isn't that big a problem now but could be if they do some massive roster re-jig or want to go nuts signing college and European free agents once their season ends in March.

That said goalies riding high numbers in the KHL is a story we have already read, and it doesn't end well.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I will give the same warning I have given to any discussion about KHL goalies(for those around for the Koskinen rants will understand)--I have been in KHL arenas and you can not trust the shot clock or reported saves--Russia is Russia and I was at a game where I counted maybe 20 to 25 shots on net by a team and at the end of the games they announced 45. Either they have a different definition of what a shot is or someone needs to learn how to count

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
If Skinner and Pickard continue tp struggle as our team's goaltending has all season, swap out Pickard for Rodrigue, if he stumbles, swap out Rodrigue for Fanti. Give them each 2 or 3 games to see what they have. Maybe they'll catch lightning in a bottle. It's a long shot, especially with team's defensive play and tendency to make major errors. That being said, you can't give up on the season yet, you have to try everything, as unlikely as it would be for it to work out.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Chris Driedger 50% retained so with Campbells demotion savings thats only an extra $600k. Really good in Florida and not that bad for a year 1 expansion team. They were paying Grubauer way too much to demote in year 2 and they really thought they had it worked out when they signed Jones. If there were other issues that got him demoted thats different because its a bit odd he is there and Daccord is playing. Again I don't know if there is a weird back story but he seems like a guy you might be able to run with for a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00