Goalies that were brought in to be the "man" and failed

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
there was also the great up and coming goalie shuffle of summer 2015.

cam talbot to edmonton
robin lehner to buffalo
eddie lack to carolina

and the one that didn't fail, martin jones to SJ

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
He was selected 10th overall and was viewed as a future franchise goaltender who never really established himself as a dependable starting goalie on any of the five teams he played with.

I think he established himself pretty well with the Chicago Blackhawks and had a tremendous 2002-03 season for the Hawks. He played 67 games, posted eight shutouts and a goals against of 2.37 with a .915 save percentage.

Those Hawks teams weren't very good, but Thibault wasn't the problem.

DeysArena

Oct 5, 2020
Bryz gets a bad rap. The 2 seasons before he signed with the Flyers were the following.
Hart Votes: 5
Vezina Votes: 2,6
SO: 15
Wins: 78
Save% .920
GAA: 2.38 ( Roughly)
Bryzgalov looked good as long as he played on a defensively-oriented team. Philly was not a defensively-oriented team.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
-Bob Essensa in Detroit
-Bruins had two brutal examples in a row with Bill Ranford and Jim Carey.
-Khabibulin in Chicago
-

Wasn't Hasek initially signed for the season that was cancelled by the lockout?

Yes. IIRC they signed him pretty quickly after free agency started in July 2004.

Reactions: Franck

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
-Bob Essensa in Detroit
-Bruins had two brutal examples in a row with Bill Ranford and Jim Carey.
-Khabibulin in Chicago
-

Yes. IIRC they signed him pretty quickly after free agency started in July 2004.

Ranford was only 20 when they traded him.

He could have been the answer if given the chance.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
First one I thought of was Scott Darling who was signed by the Hurricanes to a four-year contract a few years ago and given the reigns the first season there. Did horribly and barely looked like an NHL goaltender, seems like he really let up on his standards after that contract was signed because he hasn't done anything of note since then.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
First one I thought of was Scott Darling...
You can only be so impressive in the NHL if your name is "Darling".

I've never understood the Grant Fuhr-90s' thing, either. When Fuhr came back from his drug-related League suspension, he was back in the saddle with Edmonton in the '91 playoffs and was excellent (against Calgary). It didn't appear like he had lost anything.

I'm not clear on how good/bad he was in Toronto. In Buffalo, the stats suggest he was pretty good in his first 1/2-season there, but in 1993-94 he wasn't, and Hasek rose up to be best goalie in the League. The gaping difference between Fuhr's stats that season and Hasek's is enormous.

With L.A., from what little I recall (and the stats back it up), he was a train-wreck.

He was barely in the League at that point, and then because of Janet Gretzky talking to Mike Keenan, he goes to St. Louis and has a big career turnaround.

I saw the Fuhr movie, but I haven't read his book. Maybe he goes into that period in detail there, I dunno.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
The Winnipeg Jets had some shoddy goaltending during the 1980's and after the rise of Patrick Roy in the 1986 playoffs, the Canadiens had no need for Steve Penney, who had dazzled in the 1984 playoffs after coming out of nowhere and then was the Canadiens Molson Cup winner the following season and was named to the All-Rookie Team.

The Jets sent Brian Hayward to Montreal and gave their starting job to Penney but he was an unmitigated disaster.

Poor play and a rash of injuries (and the rise of rookies Eldon "Pokey" Reddick and Daniel "The Bandit" Berthiaume) meant that Penney played just seven games in 1986-87 for the Jets and just eight the following year before retiring.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
This seems to be a common theme for the Blues. Halak, Brodeur, and Miller were all supposed to be what put them over the top when they came in, and they all fell pretty flat.

Did they really bring in 42 y/o Brodeur to be “the man”, or put them over the top? That’s not the way I recall it, nor something I would imagine. At least not with a realistic hope of him becoming their starter.

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
Oh god, where to start with the Flames.

Every single goalie they've drafted since Vernon hasn't worked (with Kidd, Krahn and Irving being the biggest flops).

They've also had some weird veteran moves that haven't worked as well like Ken Wregget, Roman Turek, Karri Ramo, Jonas Hiller, Brian Elliott and Mike Smith.

Thank god the Kipper era happened or else they might be challenging Philly for the biggest goalie graveyard.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

hitman9172

Sep 30, 2006
sean burke > garth snow > felix potvin > kevin weekes > dan cloutier

meanwhile, burke ends up in phoenix two years later, reinvents his game under benoit allaire and has a two year peak as a top five goalie

arturs irbe, far and away the canucks best goalie in this crap-go-round, is shocked that garth snow was brought in to play ahead of him, bolts in the off-season, plays 62, 75, and 77 games in the next three years, all winning seasons, and is in the stanley cup finals four years later

potvin reestablishes himself as a top ten goalie as soon as he leaves and has two very very good years where he upset the 2001 wings in the playoffs and pushed the avs to seven games twice

even johan hedberg went on to be a really solid 1b for almost a decade after he left

Ah yes, when Vancouver was a goalie graveyard. It’s sad when Cloutier is the most stable goalie we had in net after Kirk McLean. Thank God we finally picked up Luongo.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
First one I thought of was Scott Darling who was signed by the Hurricanes to a four-year contract a few years ago and given the reigns the first season there. Did horribly and barely looked like an NHL goaltender, seems like he really let up on his standards after that contract was signed because he hasn't done anything of note since then.
I can’t recall the exact consensus at the time, but a whole lot of us who follow goalies weren’t at all surprised that Darling immediately crashed and burned.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Bryzgalov is the first one that comes to mind. Given the hype and expectations (and that contract), he seems to be the biggest "let down". He was supposed to put the Flyers over the top, and instead was league average if not worse.

Vanbiesbrouck to the Flyers might be another one, though even at the time it felt most like the Flyers cheaped out of the better option (CuJo). So (no disrespect to Beezer) that might be more of a "you get what you pay for" kind of let down.

Obviously before my time, but Plante to NY seems like another good one.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
ron hextall in quebec? i actually don't remember why he was traded away that offseason. part of me wonders whether it was a money thing? or because they could only protect one of him or fiset in the expansion draft? not sure whether fiset had played enough to be up for grabs yet.

hextalll was decent in the regular season, exceptional in the first three games of the playoffs, but terrible in the last two. but on performance alone, i don't know that it justifies handing the net over to fiset and rookie thibault.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad