Goalies in the Shootout

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
That first goal that Howard let in was some crap luck on his part to be honest. Looks like he stopped the shot but just went off his skate.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Howard has gotten progressively worse at them. Early in his NHL career he was quite solid, now he literally doesn't stop anything but completely botched attempts. It's probably in his head and maybe he doesn't think it's a priority to work on.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I think players just understand that he's not a big goalie nor does he ever attempt to pokecheck. He leaves big holes and allows shooters to take their time to find them, which leads to basically every shot going in these days.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Cam Talbot is satanically bad in shootouts. I love Talbot and for 65 minutes he's one of the best backups in the league, but if I were AV I would seriously consider bringing Lundqvist in off the bench for Talbot's shootouts. I don't think I've ever even seen him make a save.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Cam Talbot is satanically bad in shootouts. I love Talbot and for 65 minutes he's one of the best backups in the league, but if I were AV I would seriously consider bringing Lundqvist in off the bench for Talbot's shootouts. I don't think I've ever even seen him make a save.

2 goals in 3 shots this year, 1 in 3 shots last year. Honestly,you haven't seen him make many saves because he's only been in two shootouts haha.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
2 goals in 3 shots this year, 1 in 3 shots last year. Honestly,you haven't seen him make many saves because he's only been in two shootouts haha.

Interesting, it's not as bad as I thought. Maybe it just looks worse than it is because when he gets beat, he gets beat bad. I can hear his ankles breaking from my living room.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
The 919
Whoever is in goal for the Hurricanes is always guaranteed to give up at least 1 goal in a shootout, and since the Canes can't score for ****, it's basically an automatic loss.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Is there one worse than Jimmy Howard? I can't remember the last time he didn't let in at least 2 of the 3 shots. He's let in 9 of 12 this year,

:laugh:

Great example of the "What Have You Done For Me Lately" syndrome.

You've got a very short memory.

Before this year, his save pct of .746 had him ranked 3rd out of the 41 active goalies having faced 50+ shootout attempts over their career.

His bad start this year has brought him down to .684 and 18th, which is still over the median...

PS: The first two? Marc-André Fleury (.763) and Henrik Lundqvist (.747).

The worst? Niklas Backstrom (.562).

Jonathan Bernier is at .546 but has only faced 44 attempts (24 saves).

The worst with more than 10 attempts is Justin Peters at .389 (18 attempts, 7 saves).

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

A bit of a selective memory, have you not? :D

Over his career, 3 saves on 6 attemps (1 for 3 this year).

PS: Darn, Nyquist beat me to this...

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Steve Mason is absolutely awful in the shootouts. Jimmy Howard is the unique case THIS year, though.

Fleury is the best in the business in this cathegory. Easily.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
:laugh:

Great example of the "What Have You Done For Me Lately" syndrome.

You've got a very short memory.

Before this year, his save pct of .746 had him ranked 3rd out of the 41 active goalies having faced 50+ shootout attempts over their career.

His bad start this year has brought him down to .684 and 18th, which is still over the median...

PS: The first two? Marc-André Fleury (.763) and Henrik Lundqvist (.747).

The worst? Niklas Backstrom (.562).

Jonathan Bernier is at .546 but has only faced 44 attempts (24 saves).

The worst with more than 10 attempts is Justin Peters at .389 (18 attempts, 7 saves).

Came in to say I thought Backstrom is pretty bad. I think this more than proves that one. Hard to complain about a guy with a .746 career percentage coming into this year. :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad