Speculation: Goalie trade deadline market

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
There's been a fair amount of discussion on some pending UFA goalies. So let's just put the names out there and get some discussion going on whether or not they are likely to be traded and where they could be headed.

Sergei Bobrovsky
Like Panarin I don't think Columbus is going to get the type of offer they are looking for and will keep Bob.

Semyon Varlamov
I'm not exactly in tune with Colorado and what their plans might be. However, with them fighting for a playoff spot and Grubauer being horrible this year I would think they will keep him.

Jimmy Howard
I see no reason for Detroit to keep Howard and would expect him to get some serious interest around the league. He would make Calgary a better team so I predict he ends up there.

Cam Talbot
I'm almost certain he's headed to the Flyers. They can get him super cheap since Edmonton needs cap space, and I think they want to get a head start on signing him to mentor and play in tandem with Carter Hart.

Brian Elliott
Could go to Edmonton as part of a deal for Talbot. If not, perhaps a team looking for a better backup goalie would give up a 5th or 6th for him if he can show that he's healthy.

I don't see anyone else of consequence being dealt other than maybe Nilsson.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I would be shocked if Calgary didn't work some deal around Smith + for a Howard/ Varlamov/ Elliott type goalie, if they think that their goaltending needs a tune up.

I would understand if Flames fans said they didn't think that those would be an upgrade, or at least enough of an upgrade, to justify moving out assets. It will depend on the Flames front office and how they value and appreciate other goalies around the league.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I would be shocked if Calgary didn't work some deal around Smith + for a Howard/ Varlamov/ Elliott type goalie, if they think that their goaltending needs a tune up.

I would understand if Flames fans said they didn't think that those would be an upgrade, or at least enough of an upgrade, to justify moving out assets. It will depend on the Flames front office and how they value and appreciate other goalies around the league.

Been there done that with Elliot. I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t make a move for a goalie. Might as well see what we have with Rittich

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Calgary is probably the only locked in playoff team that you wonder about their goaltending. But I doubt they go grab a guy who would be the starter in game 1 of the PO. Likely upgrade Smith.

Barring injury, I don’t see much movement in the goalie market. You’re only grabbing a more experienced backup. I think the teams in the race are going with the guy they have as their starter.

LeonC

Sep 26, 2018
Quick is not going anywhere unless the Kings were given an offer they can't refuse.
Im not sure that's accurate. Kings are going to have to rebuild or at least make massive changes to become competitive. Quick is a big injury concern and is signed through the age of 36. I think there would be minimal interest for him across the league, with the best potential suitors being cap floor teams due to paying out less cash then the actual cap hit is on the last few years of Quicks contract.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
There is no market for goalie

Even the Flames, Smith is playing better, they may just roll with the two they have.

You got to be delusional to think you can get a windfall with a goalie.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Howard would be a candidate to get traded even if Detroit has interest in signing him this offseason.
Would love to see him play on a team that has good talent on defense. Howard on the Flames could form a nice tandem.

Dominicr

Nov 23, 2017
I have one lightly used Jake Allen that could be had for 3 items off the dollar menu at McDonald’s.

He did have a shutout today or it would’ve been just 2 items.

Reactions: brokeu91

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

It absolutely makes no sense to give up assets for those goaltenders. If we are going to give up assets, it's not going to be for a bandaid.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Howard would be a candidate to get traded even if Detroit has interest in signing him this offseason.
Would love to see him play on a team that has good talent on defense. Howard on the Flames could form a nice tandem.
I think Howard’s the best bet to get a rental goalie cheap that could be surprisingly good on a decent team. Just not for the first Detroit wants

Bob will probably be expensive and he already has questions for playoff viability

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
Dubnyk's got an 11-team no-trade list, but I'm beginning to think Fenton would ship him in a second if he got a decent offer.
I actually would not object to that. A goalie tandem of Stalock/Hammond would put bonafides on our tank. I'm not expecting it. But hey this new regime is full of excruciating fun surprises this season

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised if LA is putting out feelers for Jonathan Quick
Quick would be my 1A choice for the Flames to target.

Dubnyk's got an 11-team no-trade list, but I'm beginning to think Fenton would ship him in a second if he got a decent offer.
Dubnyk would be my 1B choice for the Flames to target.

I have one lightly used Jake Allen that could be had for 3 items off the dollar menu at McDonald’s.

He did have a shutout today or it would’ve been just 2 items.
Allen would make me apprehensive if the Flames acquired him, but I guess it would depend on the cost and if the Blues are willing to eat some of his salary to get rid of him.

Wyzer Plan

May 11, 2011
I think if Cbj gets a decent return for Bob they could take a look at Howard to play with Korpi. It makes sense. What would Columbus offer?

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I think Howard’s the best bet to get a rental goalie cheap that could be surprisingly good on a decent team. Just not for the first Detroit wants

Bob will probably be expensive and he already has questions for playoff viability

No way will Howard bring back a first.

Why would any team pay that for a rental goalie?

Red Wings should be elated if they land a second rd pick.

Easy Pass. And forget about BOB. Call Colorado. Or maybe take a flyer on Corey Schneider with salary retained.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Who wants Brian Elliott? I think SJ would be a fit since both Jones and Dell have SV% under .900 and GAA around 3.00.

Brian Elliott's last 9 games: .945 SV%, 1.73 GAA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad