Goalie Prospects Rankings

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
Hey Guys,

I've been working on this for a bit now, and I've put together a ranking for all 30 teams based off of their goaltending prospects depth chart. Hopefully this seems somewhat realistic too you, but if there are any blaring mistakes please let me know.

#1 San Jose Sharks – (Stalock, Sexsmith, Anderson+) I don’t think the Sharks have one prospect in their system that isn’t on the rise. Sexsmith has been set back by injury, but I still believe he is capable of doing well. Stalock was great in his one NHL appearance, and even though it’s a sample size, he’s been good in the AHL as well. I included Anderson in there instead of others because I think he’s been really well this year. Although his stats may be a bit inflated because he’s on a great team, he’s still done real well, enough to get him to Canada’s World Junior camp ahead of some other guys. The Sharks still have Sateri, Greiss, Heemskerk and more to add on to the list.

#2 Florida Panthers – (Markstrom, Cheverie, Brittain+) The Panthers are in at a very close second. The Sharks don’t have a goalie as good as Markstrom, but I think their depth slightly exceeds that of Florida. Brittain has had a great year in the NCAA, and he’s looking to lead his team all the way to the title. Not bad for a first year goalie. Marc Cheverie has been off to a bit of a slow start, but he was great in the NCAA last year, and he is by no means a bad goalie, he just needs to adjust slightly. It is kind of a logjam in their system so he’ll have to do really well in the ECHL before he gets his chance to prove himself.

#3 Los Angeles Kings – (Bernier, Jones, Berube) Bernier has done very well in his first real pro season. He’s been able to hold his ground and get his share of starts, and he’s performed. With Quick continuing to do well though, there are talks of him being traded. If that happened it would most likely be too a team where he would be the starter, so we’d be able to see if he can handle it. I think he’s shown that he’s capable though, and I’d love to see how he would do. Martin Jones has had a remarkable first pro year in the AHL. He’s been one of the top goalies in the league, and will look to continue into the playoffs. A lot of people thought that he looked good in the WHL because he was playing on a great Calgary team, but I think he’s definitely proven himself. Berube has had a great year as well, top 5 in the QMJHL. He’s currently leading Montreal to a good start in the playoffs, and it looks like they may go far. LA only has 4 prospects in their system (Zatkoff) but they’re all doing pretty well.

#4 Vancouver Canucks – (Schnieder, Lack, Cannata) Schnieder is getting fairly close to not being considered a great prospect, but one of the top goalies in the league. He’s been outstanding this year, and will only look to improve. I might be wrong on this, but I think he’s gotten the most playing time behind Luongo out of any of their backups, and there’s a good reason for it. Who knows if he stays with Vancouver, but wherever he goes he’ll be able to challenge to be a #1. Eddie Lack has been great in the AHL, and he surprised a lot of people. Pretty much no one had heard of him at the start of the year, but he’s been a fan favorite in Manitoba, and for good reason. 25 wins, and a 928-sv% are great numbers for someone no one knew of at the start of the year. Cannata has been someone who’s really emerged as well. He was pretty much the main reason why Merrimack made it as far as they did, and I’m sure he’ll look to lead them farther next year.

#5 Toronto Maple Leafs – (Reimer, Rynnas, Scrivens) Optimus Reim has been a pleasant surprise for the Leafs, and the main reason why they have even a slight chance of making the playoffs. He’s definitely their starter as of now, and we’ll have to wait and see until next year if things stay that way. But I think he’s shown he’s capable of playing in the NHL. Rynnas has been good, but not great, with the Marlies this year. I don’t think anyone really expected him to be amazing though, and I think he’ll be given time to develop. He’s shown flashes this season of being really good, and if he can work on his game and really develop, he should be a pretty good goalie. Hopefully he can come back from his injury and start off well next season. Scrivens has done really well this year in both the ECHL and the AHL. He’s been one of the top goalies in the ECHL when he’s played, and done almost equally well in the AHL with Rynnas down. I think he needs to be given time to develop as well, but he can be a real good goalie down the road.

#6 Washington Capitals – (Holtby, Grubauer, Anderson) I dropped Washington a bit because I realized Neuvirth no longer counts as a prospect, and they really don’t have a whole lot behind Holtby. I know I said I didn’t want to have a team too high based on one guy, but I’m kind of contradicting myself with Washington because I really like Holtby. I kind of view him as being better long term than Varlamov or Neuvirth right now, because he’s been brilliant with the Caps so far, and I think he can carry on with that if given the chance. He’s proved himself at the AHL level already, and with the rumors of Varlamov not being a part of the Caps future, he should get more opportunity to prove himself at the NHL level. Grubauer has had a bit of a setback year in Kingston, but he’s still proven he’s a good goalie. He had to adjust moving to Kingston from Windsor, but I think he did very well up until his illness. Hopefully he can recover fully and get back to playing next year, although that may be at the pro level. Brandon Anderson hasn’t had the year he had hoped for, but Lethbridge did struggle this year. He’s up with Hershey right now I believe, so we’ll get to see how he handles the pro game. The Caps signed him for a reason, and hopefully he can prove that.

#7 Minnesota Wild – (Hackett, Kuemper, Endras) Matt Hackett has proven himself capable in the AHL this year, being one of the top goalies. I think if he can continue to play and play well he may succeed Backstrom one day. Kuemper has really emerged as a great goalie with the Rebels this year. No question the best goalie in the WHL, he had 13 shutouts, one away from the all time record. Although Red Deer has been really good, Kuemper has been able to steal some games for them, and some of his shutouts came with a lot of shots, proving it’s not just his team. Endras had an OK season with Augsberg, but with his contract he’ll be coming over to play in the AHL. I don’t really know anything about him, but I’ve heard he may look to steal the backup spot behind Backstrom next year.

#8 Philadelphia Flyers – (Eriksson, Riopel, Kovar+) The Flyers don’t really have one great goalie, but they’ve got 4 or 5 that may be able to break the pro ranks in the future. Joacim Eriksson has had a bit of a decline this year, but he’s still considered one of the best in Europe right now. I’m not sure what the Flyers plans are for him, but he may look to come over to North America next year, which may create an even bigger logjam in the Flyers system. Riopel wasn’t all that good in Adirondack, but he’s been much better with Greenville. It’s his first real pro season so he’ll be given more time to develop, but it’ll be up to him whether that’s in the AHL or ECHL. Jakub Kovar is a little bit more long term than any other goalie in the system, but that’s fine with the Flyers. He’s been pretty good in Europe this year, and I’m sure he’ll develop there a bit more before coming back to North America. The Flyers also have Johan Backlund and Brian Stewart in their system, so they’ll have a lot of goalies to choose from in the future.

#9 St.Louis Blues – (Bishop, Allen, Karpowich) Bishop has had a good year, but Allen’s emergence has had a setback on his playing time. He’s still done very well, and he did not bad in his NHL outings. He’ll still need some time to develop, but he will probably be up with the Blues permanently very soon. Jake Allen has been a great surprise for the Blues. No one thought he would be bad, but I don’t think anyone thought he would be this good. His hot streak has worn off since the All Star Game, but he’s still been one of the top goalies in the AHL. Karpowich is the only other goalie with the blues, but I think Allen and Bishop are both good enough that Karpowich doesn’t have much of an effect. Karpowich has quietly had a good season in the ECAC, finishing with 15 wins and a .912 sv%. Im not sure what the Blues plan on doing with him, but he’ll most likely get a contract eventually with no other goalies in the system.

#10 Nashville Predators – (Lindback, Dekanich, Smith) Lindback has done very well this year with the Preds, and it looks like he’ll be another good goalie off the Preds carousel. I believe at the start of the year people thought Dekanich would be the back up, but Lindback stole it from him, and he’s proved why. He’s got more wins and a better sv% than fellow prospect Jonathan Bernier, and he looks like he’ll be a good fit for the Preds. Mark Dekanich has been great once again in the AHL, and if not for Lindback he would definitely be up in the NHL. I don’t really know what to say about him because he’s proven at the AHL level, and he should be a good back up, even possible starter in the NHL, whether or not that’s with the Predators. Jeremy Smith has taken advantage of Pickard’s poor season, and pretty much leap-frogged him on the depth chart. He’s got 13 wins and a .923 sv% behind Dekanich, showing that he can be good if needed.

#11 Atlanta Thrashers – (Kangas, Carrozzi, Pasquale)
#12 Colorado Avalanche – (Pickard, Aittokallio, Millan+)
#13 Tampa Bay Lightning – (Tokarski, Desjardins, Janus+)
#14 Dallas Stars – (Campbell, Bachman, Krahn+)
#15 New York Islanders – (Poulin, Nilsson, Koskinen)
#16 Chicago Blackhawks – (Salak, Carruth, Simpson+)
#17 Edmonton Oilers – (Bunz, Roy, Pitton)
#18 Boston Bruins – (Gothberg, Hutchinson, Khudobin+)
#19 Phoenix Coyotes – (Visentin, Climie, Lee+)
#20 Buffalo Sabres – (Enroth, Leggio, Knapp+)
#21 Anaheim Ducks – (Pielmeier, Bobkov, Cousineau)
#22 Pittsburgh Penguins – (Thiessen, Curry, Killeen)
#23 Ottawa Senators – (Lehner, Brodeur, Brust)
#24 Columbus Blue Jackets – (York, Wesslau, Corbeil-Theriault)
#25 New Jersey Devils – (Wedgewood, Frazee, Clermont)
#26 Detroit Red Wings – (Mrazek, Pearce, McCollum)
#27 Carolina Hurricanes – (Murphy, Peters, Andersen)
#28 New York Rangers – (Johnson, Talbot, Stajcer)
#29 Calgary Flames – (Irving, Ortio, Keetley)
#30 Montreal Canadiens – (Ramo, Delmas, Simila)

updated with feedback

Last edited:

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
Markström - No comment needed. Maybe the best goalie-prospect.
Plante - Still a pretty talented goaltender. Played well in the AHL for a bad team.
Cheverie - WCHA's Top Goalie and Player of the Year last season.
Brittain - One of the steals of the 2010 draft, he has had an unbelivable season I've heard.
Gayduchenko - Played some in the KHL. Big goaltender.

And a month ago we had Salak too.

Six teams with better goalie-prospects than this. I don't think so.

Last edited:

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Markström - No comment needed. Maybe the best goalie-prospect.
Plante - Still a pretty talented goaltender. Played well in the AHL for a bad team.
Cheverie - WCHA's Top Goalie and Player of the Year last season.
Brittain - One of the steals of the 2010 draft, he has had an unbelivable season I've heard.
Gayduchenko - Played some in the KHL. Big goaltender.

And we a month ago we had Salak too.

Six teams with better goalie-prospects than this. I don't think so.

im going to have to agree with this. we are top 2 with the caps.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Noway are the Isles in the bottom 5, Poulin is a beast and has very high potential. Anders Nilsson has been stellar this season in Europe, and Koskinen has a lot of potential as well. If anything they are around #10.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Hawks ranking seems fine

At start of year we probably would have been bottom 5

Emergance of Crawford , acquisition of Salak and promising junior years by Kent Simpson and Mac Carruth things look good for us

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I'd think the Kings might be a tad bit higher given that they have Bernier, Jones, Zatkoff and Berube, not to mention how young their two NHL goalies are.

Last edited:

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
Its more of a prospects rankings, I guess the title is a little misleading. This doesn't really have anything to do with the goalies in the NHL, or else it would be much different.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I'd think the Kings might be a tad bit higher given that they have Bernier, Jones, Zatkoff and Berube, not to mention how young their two NHL goalies are.

I agree, Kings should be top 5, the Canucks should be in the top 5 as well with Schneider. All of them should be ahead of SJ in my opinion.

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
I agree, Kings should be top 5, the Canucks should be in the top 5 as well with Schneider. All of them should be ahead of SJ in my opinion.

The kings could be slightly higher I guess. I dont want to have a team too high based off of only one goalie ( schnieder ) but they are fairly high due to him and Lack.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think Boston and Edmonton should swap spots.

Olivier Roy has been decent this year, but Tyler Bunz has been really good this year.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
The kings could be slightly higher I guess. I dont want to have a team too high based off of only one goalie ( schnieder ) but they are fairly high due to him and Lack.

Well if it was your team would you rather have 3 or 4 good goalie prospects, or 1 goalie prospect who was regarded as one of the best goaltender prospects in the world. You only have one starting goalie, so in my opinion I would much rather take the risk on 1 great goaltending prospect.

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
Well if it was your team would you rather have 3 or 4 good goalie prospects, or 1 goalie prospect who was regarded as one of the best goaltender prospects in the world. You only have one starting goalie, so in my opinion I would much rather take the risk on 1 great goaltending prospect.

Valid point. I dont know if that means they have more depth in regards to prospects, although I guess he would make up more depth than 2 good but not great prospects from another team. I think 4th is a fair spot for them though.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
It would be better if you listed the top 2-3-4 goalie prospects beside each team in brackets.

I like that the Avs have Pickard, but I don't think they should be top 6. Top 10, maybe, but more likely 11-15.

It's still considered a major organizational weakness, along with our wings.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
eh, not sure I would say the Canes don't have a goalie prospect that's better then Ortio other then Murphy. Peters (24) is already an NHL backup and had a strong season last year, though he has fallen off this year to be sure. But don't get me wrong, the Canes are probably still rather easily in the bottom 5 in this category.

I'd say Pittsburgh is a bit overrated here, and I'm a big fan of Thiessen.
edit: I just really don't see the potential starter quality there in the Pittsburgh prospect core in net. Though I do think Thiessen is a safe bet to land the backup spot somewhere even if it's not Pittsburgh.

Last edited:

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
You guys have given me a lot to think about on this. Im not a pro by any means, so there are some flaws. I think I'll look at it a bit today, and come back with a little update, with names besides the teams as well.

Thanks guys

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
You guys have given me a lot to think about on this. Im not a pro by any means, so there are some flaws. I think I'll look at it a bit today, and come back with a little update, with names besides the teams as well.

Thanks guys

Really appreciate the effort. Like some of the others mentioned including Renegade Stylings, having the goalie prospects listed who you considered for the the rankings by the team would be quite helpful along with the criteria you considered for who is eligible to consider a prospect (likely, I assume you used HF criteria).

Thanks.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
The Flyers ranking is pretty spot on I think.

Bobrovsky is slowly but surely becoming the Flyers starter at 22. Joacim Eriksson is having a slower season this year, being a backup to a goalie who has been with his team forever in Sweden. He was considered the 2nd best goalie in Sweden (from what I read) behind Markstrom.

After a terrible start, he looked real good in the latest games he played. Flyers brass saw him as our top goaltending prospect till be got Bob. Eriksson still is highly regarded. Riopel (broke the QMJHL gaa record 2 seasons ago) and Steward are in the ECHL right now, Steward is the #2 in gaa, #1 in sv%. Kovar, who I think is still considered our prospect, played in every single game in the Czech league. Put up a .924 sv%.

We really dont have the depth that other teams have, but our top 2 goalies are pretty damn good.

EastCoastSensFan

Mar 7, 2011
Pictou N.S.
Ya Ottawa is about right maybe even lower. We only have Robin in the whole system.
Mind you I think he is a top 5 goalie prospect in the league but having only one 19 year old goalie does not give you a strong system.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
I think the Predators ranking depends on if Lindback is still a "prospect"> He's been in the NHL all year, but has barely played, so I still count him as a work in progress. With him, Dekanich, Smith, and Engren, we are pretty solid (Chet Pickard sucks, I'm not even mentioning him), but 12th may be a little high if Lindback is graduated.

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
OK, well I've updated the first post with the new rankings. To count as a prospect they basically can't have played more than 45 NHL games, similar to HF's criteria. I have a little write up for each of the top ten, and then the best 3 goalies in each system in brackets for the rest. Some teams may not even have 3 good goalies, but whichever 3 they do have will be in there. If teams have more than 3 promising prospects, then they have a + sign beside the 3 names. The write ups aren't very professional or anything, just a little reasoning as to why I ranked them that way. I'm sure you guys can find some mistakes in here, but it wasn't for a lack of trying.
Thanks for your feedback so far, and keep it coming. Like I've said Im not a pro by any means, and I'm just doing this for fun.

...Thanks to Hockey's Future as well as The Goalie Guild for providing helpful info...

Zepphead93

May 13, 2006
Ottawa, ONT
This was a lotta work, Well done.

the only thing that stood out to me was Isles should b a little higher *Poulin's rad* & i hate the Sens, but Lehner & Broduer are kinda awesome. FC*k, i hate the Sens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad