Eurolanche: Goalie prospects interviews: Kvaca & Pajpach

EurolancheDavid

You recently had your debut in the Czech Extraliga for Sparta Prague. What was it like?
I have to say that I really enjoyed it. It was a great learning experience – I made a couple of mistakes that I’ll have to work on in order to get better. I even got feedback from the goalie coach, who told me what I did right and what I need to work on. His suggestions are extremely valuable. The entire experience was awesome, although it’s a shame that we lost both games, but that’s hockey. I can build on that and continue to get better. I also believe that Sparta will get back on track and win more games. I view the entire experience as a reward of sorts for my performances with Budejovice.

During your call-up, you met Sami Aittokallio, who was also drafted by Colorado and spent three seasons overseas. Did you talk about his tenure in North America?
Yes, we talked a lot, even about Colorado. He told me how he liked Denver and about his experience while playing in the minors, the guys he played with who made the jump to the NHL… I also liked the practices we had together, because Sami’s a very technically sound goalie and I tried to learn as much from him as I could. It was great and yet another thing why I enjoyed my stint with Sparta so much.

You’ve attended two of the Avalanche’s preseason camps. In what ways did they help you the most?
I was really grateful that I got the chance to attend them and even got to play in one game. For the most part, it helped me to get accustomed to everything, as everything was new to me – the language, the practices both on and off the ice and the way the organization treats its prospects. For example, we interacted with fans a lot. The practices were awesome, I learned tons of new things that I can use in my career. The entire experience opened my eyes and motivated me to work even harder in order to get an invite to next year’s camps. I could also show the Avalanche coaches that I worked on my flaws. I’m eternally grateful that I got to experience the whole thing!

What were the biggest differences between your experience overseas and the things you’re used to back home in the Czech Republic?
During each practice, both on and off the ice, we wore chest straps, which helped the coaches monitor our conditioning. We had a lot of seminars about nutrition and our physique. That’s one of the biggest differences – in North America, everything is talked about individually and in-depth. I received lots of material about how to get stronger and continue to grow. I’m thankful that they made all this available to me. We still keep in touch – they still call and write me, for which I’m really grateful.

You’ve certainly met a number of Avalanche legends during camp. Who made the biggest impression?
I met Joe Sakic while I was out buying breakfast in San Jose prior to a game. He took me by the shoulder and asked me how I was, how I slept that night and told me that he was looking forward to seeing me play in goal. I couldn’t believe what was happening… We kept talking and he asked about the Czech Republic and about my family as well. He even came to me following the game and told me that I played great and that he really liked what he saw. I was taken aback that he’s so interested in me despite the fact that I’m not playing in North America this season. It meant a lot, because he’s one of the best players to ever play in the NHL and the Avs’ current GM. I really admire him for everything he’s achieved and for the way he treated us young guys at camp and his support. It meant a lot that he found to time to chat with me and that I wasn’t just another nameless prospect to him. Him being so friendly and helpful to us left meant a ton and left a great impression.

KVACA FULL INTERVIEW: Exclusive: Interview with Petr Kvaca - Eurolanche.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You were drafted by the Colorado Avalanche in 2014. You were the only Slovak player to be chosen that year, something which hasn’t occurred since the dissolution of Czechoslovakia, but your chances on earning an entry-level contract are slowly dwindling. What happened during the past four years?
It was a difficult time for me. I was slowed down by a serious injury, which forced me to miss more than an entire season.

If I remember correctly, the injury you mentioned kept you from playing for Tappara Tampere’s junior team the season right after the draft. You viewed the chance to play in Finland as a stepping-stone to the NHL. How did the injury occur?
As I’ve already said, the injury was hands down the worst thing that could’ve happened. It could’ve been a great first season if not for the injury, which would’ve helped my chances of earning an entry-level deal. I injured myself while playing for Slovakia prior to the U18 World Championship. Everything went downhill ever since that faithful game against Switzerland.

According to our sources, you had surgery back home in Slovakia, which, as it turned out, significantly affected your current situation. Can you tell us more about it?
It’s tough to say if it was really caused by my first surgery. Nonetheless, I had to have two more, meaning that the first one probably didn’t solve much. I couldn’t have possibly known how it would turn out prior to undergoing my first surgery, which is why I ultimately decided for it. All in all, I had to have it, because I couldn’t play with my knee in the state it was in.

You didn’t get a chance to play senior hockey in Finland, which is why you opted to sign for Poprad last season in hopes of getting back on track. Unfortunately, you only played nine games and later questioned your decision to go back home. In hindsight, who should’ve you had signed with instead?
I had offers from teams from the Czech top and second-tier league, which I probably should’ve chosen instead. But you make decisions like this all the time. Who knows, maybe playing in the Czech Republic would’ve been better, but you can’t change the past, which is why I don’t think about it all too much.

PAJPACH FULL INTERVIEW: Exclusive: Interview with Max Pajpach - Eurolanche.com

Reactions: S E P H

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah, Nedorost is the star on that team... and even to an extent, that league. Which says a lot. Over the years, there have been very few prospects that I have been more disappointed with than Nedorost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad