Goalie - Playoffs Opponents

Danny46

Dec 28, 2015
Belfour in 1999 complety silenced his critics that you could not win a Stanley Cup with a nuthead like Belfour, his performance to me is in the top 5 of players that did not win the Playoff MVP award.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Trying to find some from the 70s and 80s - after 3+ playoffs came in, but before the great bumper crop of 90s goalies.
I figure the best strategy might be to look at great goalies who often went down earlier, but it appears that Vachon and Liut didn't get taken down by the eventual champions in their primes.

Then there's Gerry Cheevers the 1970 Bruins, who came up through the original 6 division to meet a team carrying Glenn Hall, so they went through both Sawchuk and Giacomin, then Esposito, and then Hall. That might actually have Belfour beat.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Trying to find some from the 70s and 80s - after 3+ playoffs came in, but before the great bumper crop of 90s goalies.
I figure the best strategy might be to look at great goalies who often went down earlier, but it appears that Vachon and Liut didn't get taken down by the eventual champions in their primes.

Then there's Gerry Cheevers the 1970 Bruins, who came up through the original 6 division to meet a team carrying Glenn Hall, so they went through both Sawchuk and Giacomin, then Esposito, and then Hall. That might actually have Belfour beat.

Frank McCool went up against Lumley and Durnan. Thats pretty cool.

And since I THINK Montreal used both their goalies in the finals. Sawchuk faced Vachon, Worsley and Glenn Hall when Leafs won their last cup.

And obviously Vernon going through Fuhr, Hebert, Roy and Hextall. I think thats just a taf behind Belfour though.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I´m kinda interested for the opposite... any ideas who has the weakest opponents?

These stick out from the cap era:

Osgood (and a little bit of Hasek) in 2008 faced:

Dan Ellis
Jose Theodore/Peter Budaj
Marty Turco
Marc-Andre Fleury

Fleury in 2009:

Martin Biron
21YO Varlamov
Cam Ward
Chris Osgood

Reactions: Prsut18