Goalie pad change affect Devan?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It's going to affect everyone I'd assume. Shannon Svados had a picture saying her pads are larger and the ones she showed left a lot of potential for goalies to get hurt. Should just make them narrower not shorter. Can see why goalies were complaining this time around

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
It's going to affect everyone I'd assume. Shannon Svados had a picture saying her pads are larger and the ones she showed left a lot of potential for goalies to get hurt. Should just make them narrower not shorter. Can see why goalies were complaining this time around

Szabados*

Connor McOilers

We have the precious
Feb 16, 2013
Despite his height Dubnyk has a pretty short ankle to knee measurement, meaning he would wear a smaller size pad with an extended thigh rise to help close the 5 hole and make it so his pads total height is normal for a goalie his size.

Since the change is to the thigh rise specifically it could be a pretty big difference for him because his thigh rise was pretty significant, that said there are positives as well such as being more mobile that would help to counter the lost blocking surface. I'll be interested to see how he looks in them... If anyone has a pic of him in new gear please post.

Hope that made sense, I always played goal but I know pad sizing can be pretty foreign to anyone who's never really looked in to it before.

Edit- found a pic... doesn't look like anything he shouldn't be able to adjust to by the start of the season.
1297467065334_ORIGINAL.jpg

Last edited:

TakkoTime

Aug 7, 2002
Visit site
On XM

On the NHL Network today they actually spoke about how with the new changes some goaltenders will now have to wear knee pads where they didn't have to before; and specifically mentioned how not only Dubnyk but also LaBarbera were struggling to adjust so far as they never used them previously.
They mentioned how it feels strange and affects how the pad rotates on the leg. Not the best news!

-Takko

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
On the NHL Network today they actually spoke about how with the new changes some goaltenders will now have to wear knee pads where they didn't have to before; and specifically mentioned how not only Dubnyk but also LaBarbera were struggling to adjust so far as they never used them previously.
They mentioned how it feels strange and affects how the pad rotates on the leg. Not the best news!

-Takko

Are they narrower too?

TakkoTime

Aug 7, 2002
Visit site
On the radio they just mentioned the decrease in height so I'm not sure; but now that I think of it they were saying that the five hole would be bigger (1.5 off of each pad on some guys x2 =3 inches) so must be, yeah.

-Takko

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Its going to be an interesting first 10 games.

Hopefully our forwards are working on their 5 hole shot.

Oct 30, 2011
On the radio they just mentioned the decrease in height so I'm not sure; but now that I think of it they were saying that the five hole would be bigger (1.5 off of each pad on some guys x2 =3 inches) so must be, yeah.

-Takko

Yeah, it's just a numbers game. Majority of shots on net are low, so they increased the size of the five-hole in order to increase the number of goals scored.

But tbh, I don't think it'll have that significant of an impact, though maybe Hall might be able to score backhand five-hole this season.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I think the pad change will hurt taller goalies slightly more than shorter ones. The reasoning is two fold. 1. It is proportional, so taller goalies lose more total pad. 2. It is a move in favour of better reflex goalies, which tend to be smaller goalies.

Which does suck a bit, since we have Dubs and Labarbera. However, I think the change will be very slight. As in maybe 2-3 sv% points per year vs a shorter goalie.

member 145483

Dubnyk never wore knee protectors before? Hmm, I think he is crazier then he lets on...

Even a shot at beer league speed that gets to the knee guard hurts, I wouldn't even want to imagine an one at NHL levels...ouch!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad