Goalie mask rule on Nashville 2nd goal

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I find this kind of interesting, basically Rinne was lucky that Nashville scored.

Rule 9.6
When a goalkeeper has lost his helmet and/or face mask and his team has control of the puck, the play shall be stopped immediately to allow the goalkeeper the opportunity to regain his helmet and/or face mask. When the opposing team has control of the puck, play shall only be stopped if there is no immediate and impending scoring opportunity. This stoppage of play must be made by the Referee. When play is stopped because the goalkeeper has lost his helmet and/or face mask, the ensuing face-off shall take place at one of the defending team’s end zone face-off spots.

When a goalkeeper deliberately removes his helmet and/or face mask in order to secure a stoppage of play, the Referee shall stop play as outlined above and in this case assess the goalkeeper a minor penalty for delaying the game. If the goalkeeper deliberately removes his helmet and/or face mask when the opposing team is on a breakaway, the Referee shall award a penalty shot to the nonoffending team, which shot shall be taken by the player last in possession of the puck. If the goalkeeper deliberately removes his helmet and/or face mask during the course of a penalty shot or shootout attempt, the Referee shall award a goal to the non-offending team.

Rinne hid that his mask strap was off because his team had possession going up the ice. If the Ducks regained possession of the puck and then he pulled his mask off to show the ref the strap to gain the stoppage, he should have been assessed a penalty.

Edit: I meant Nashville 2nd goal, or 3rd goal of game. Mod pls fix title.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
aside from Talbot, which goalie wouldn't pull this move

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
I've seen goalies shake off their mask during a scoring opportunity and not get a penalty so that text doesn't really give the full picture for how things are actually called on the ice.

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
Because it's not a penalty if you're in the process of making a save (and yes, pulling the puck to your glove so you can freeze it is part of the save).

That's not in the rule at all. The only way to make it not a penalty is if his skate was in contact with the crease. I think the officials were just involved in the rest of the play and didn't see it.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
That's not in the rule at all. The only way to make it not a penalty is if his skate was in contact with the crease. I think the officials were just involved in the rest of the play and didn't see it.

After re-reading the rule book, you're correct. They missed the call.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
The play just reaired on NHL Network. At first, Rinne tries to get the officials attention, but the play continues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad