• No

Votes: 94 25.4%

• Total voters

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
It's definitely not worthy of a penalty, it simply should have negated the goal. Incidental contact because Bennet lightly shoved/'crosschecked' Coyle into his goalie, even if it was rather pedestrian in terms of force. Again not rising to level of a penalty but probably should've wiped away the goal

Far softer crosschecks are being called. A near "automatic" penalty this season and last. This crosscheck and one other on Coyle at the end of the 2nd should have been called. Egregious.

Yes, this was clearly interference as well even without the penalty called.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Interesting play.

At first I thought it wasn't at all, but I was looking for a Florida player to interfere with the goalie.

I think Swayman would have gotten there if Coyle hadn't been cross-checked into him so I think it is goaltender interference.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Regular season: Yes.
Playoffs: can go either way.

Light crosschecks don't really get called. This was especially since Coyle was already headed that way.

Should it be called? Yes, but a lot of stuff is ignored in the playoffs.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
As an expert on not knowing what GI is or is not these days.

I can say with 100% proximity it has to do with the alignment of the solar system, the tidal rhythm in relation to the moon.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Far softer crosschecks are being called. A near "automatic" penalty this season and last. This crosscheck and one other on Coyle at the end of the 2nd should have been called. Egregious.

Yes, this was clearly interference as well even without the penalty called.

No chance, from this angle video embedded at :39, you can see it really wasn't much of a cross check as much as a push off. Definitely shouldn't be a goal but it's also not a crosschecking penalty.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Well I don't think its anywhere close to a penalty but I also don't think that you can just push a guy onto a goalie and then score a goal.

Rule 69.1 clearly settles it though.

If a defending player has been pushed, shoved, or fouled by an attacking player so as to cause the defending player to come into contact with his own goalkeeper, such contact shall be deemed contact initiated by the attacking player for purposes of this rule, and if necessary a penalty assessed to the attacking player and if a goal is scored it would be disallowed.

It doesn't even have to be a penalty (it isn't). It should just not be a goal and they should have a faceoff taken outside the zone according to:

Face-off Location – Whenever the Referee stops play to disallow a goal as a result of contact with the goalkeeper (incidental or otherwise), the resulting face-off shall take place at the nearest neutral zone face-off spot outside the attacking zone of the offending team.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
I hate the Bruins. I love it when they lose and I love watching their fans get big mad, but the goal should have been called back. Based on other GI calls this season, Bennett's contact with Coyle did significantly enough impact Swayman's ability to make the save.

HOWEVER, under no circumstances is this a penalty on Bennett. Dmen do the exact same thing to forwards near the crease all game every game, and it's no more the dman's ice than it is the forward's. If you're calling for Bennett to be penalized here, you're calling for a significant rewrite of the rule book.

While it's unfortunate when calls don't go your way, Bruins fans should be more angry that they were outshot 42-18. Teams with 18 shots don't win games.

Last edited:

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I feel like they've at least been consistent with the whole "player gets pushed into a goalie" thing.

Defensive player pushes the offensive player into their own goalie? Goal counts.
Offensive player pushes the defensive player into the goalie? Goal doesn't count.
And had they kept to that standard this thread wouldn't exist

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
By the literal definition in the rulebook it was absolutely goalie interference. Atrocious by the league.
Exactly. Simply read the rule. Swayman's ability to play or not play his position has zero to do with anything. According to the rule, since Coyle's contact with Swayman resulted from his being "pushed, shoved or fouled" by an opposing player, then the contact, i.e., Coyle's contact (with Swayman) "shall be deemed contact initiated by the attacking player". Again, "shall be deemed contact [with the goaltender] initiated by the attacking player. That is, for the purposes of the rule, Coyle's contact with Swayman is exactly the same thing as if Bennett himself entered into the crease and initiated contact with Swayman himself. Which is goaltender interference, puck or no puck (witness Geekie on Bobrovsky). I mean, read it.

Anyway this has been posted all over the place already so I'm simply posting it here for the record.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
As a Caps fan, I was immediately (and very painfully) reminded of this similar goalie-interference goal in Game 7 of the 2008 Quarterfinals against the Flyers. The goal counted. It was a brutal non-call. (IMO, even more egregious than the Bennett goal.)

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Seriously, coyle charging hard into the crease at his goalie was pretty damn stupid. Maybe don’t make plays that are correctly described as “pretty damn stupid?”

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
HOWEVER, under no circumstances is this a penalty on Bennett. Dmen do the exact same thing to forwards near the crease all game every game, and it's no more the dman's ice than it is the forward's. If you're calling for Bennett to be penalized here, you're calling for a significant rewrite of the rule book.
Not really, it's a cross-check by the rule book, it's just that they choose to call it only once in a blue moon because the idiots think randomly applying unwritten rules and game management is the way to go.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Players can battle for rebounds and incidental contact is allowed (69.7), it's a good goal.

Coyle flopped and figured it'd be overturned. The gamble didn't payoff. Dmen need to stop flopping on their goalie when a breeze touches them.

• Haha
Reactions: BTO and TD Charlie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad