Goalie equipment/goal size

boanst

May 25, 2013
If the NHL really wanted to increase scoring, they should get the refs to call more penalties. PP chances have been at a historic low for awhile now.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Neither.

Two things I would do is get back to 05-06 standards on obstruction and look at the design of the goalposts, contour them to allow more pucks to drop into the net when they are hit.

There's already been a fairly significant reduction in the size of goalie pads, twice actually.

Contouring the posts so that more go in IS enlarging the net but making them look to be the same size.

There have been fainthearted, unsuccessful attempts at reducing the size of the pads.

Why not rule that skaters can't use any composite sticks then?

What purpose would that serve? I don't understand.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Just a thought... Which will never happen.... But how about reducing the number of teams to say 20 resulting in better over talent on all teams and better players playing together which should result in more scoring.

Just a thought, but when you go from 20 teams to 30 teams that means an additional 210 skaters added to the league but only 20 goalies. No numbers to back this up, but isn't it more likely to find it harder to find 210 NHL level skaters equal to the ability of those already in the NHL, than it would be to find an additional 20 NHL goalies?

Like I said ... Never going to see a reduction in teams.

With the training and coaching that players get today plus the level of fitness added to the increased populations contributing players I think the skill level has never been higher than it is today. At least since there were only 6 teams.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If the NHL really wanted to increase scoring, they should get the refs to call more penalties. PP chances have been at a historic low for awhile now.

Do you really want to see more penalties? More games decided by the refs? More interruptions of the play?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Just a thought... Which will never happen.... But how about reducing the number of teams to say 20 resulting in better over talent on all teams and better players playing together which should result in more scoring.

Just a thought, but when you go from 20 teams to 30 teams that means an additional 210 skaters added to the league but only 20 goalies. No numbers to back this up, but isn't it more likely to find it harder to find 210 NHL level skaters equal to the ability of those already in the NHL, than it would be to find an additional 20 NHL goalies?

Like I said ... Never going to see a reduction in teams.

Actually scoring goes down with less teams not up. It's been proven when teams are added scoring goes up. Which makes sense since it spreads the talent more and therefore the best players end up playing against worse players. So more scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad