Speculation: Goalie Controversy

Who do you want to be the starter for game 1 in the playoffs?

• Georgiev

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Annunen

Votes: 71 82.6%

• Total voters

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I don't really get this attitude.

I don't think anyone expects Annunen to be a savior. If we need a goalie to be a savior we are in trouble. But he's done everything asked of him and more. He's struggled a little bit sure, but he bounces back quickly and that's what's important. You may not believe in Annunen's long-term success in the league but you can't ask more fromwhat he's shown this season. I don't really understand dunking on him or calling him garbage.

Hopefully he gets the start tomorrow vs. Dallas. No real excuse not to. That will be a really big game for him to show his worth
Annunen is less garbage than Fourgiev right now but dont kid yourself hes still garbage but hes young garbage. He can upgrade to not garbage some day and hopefully he does. Lots of young goalies start off as garbage so I dont know why you are offended by me saying hes garbage today.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The rumours of Alexandar "All-Star" Georgiev demise have been greatly exaggerated.
I suggest that if we play Edmonton again we changeup stragedies. It'll be like the reverse of the left-wing lock, where we implement a strategy that funnels the puck to McDavid and the center of the ice and then the dmen just follow him in to collect the loose change from the inevitable poke-check and start the transition back the other way.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Annunen is less garbage than Fourgiev right now but dont kid yourself hes still garbage but hes young garbage. He can upgrade to not garbage some day and hopefully he does. Lots of young goalies start off as garbage so I dont know why you are offended by me saying hes garbage today.

This post is garbage but unfortunately for us, it's a garbage bag filled with truth garbage.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Here are my reasons to go with Annunen from now on:
1. Juice has better numbers all around. Yeah I know...he has had easier match ups but at this point I don't care

2. When he has had bad outings/bad goals he has rebounded much better than George.

3. Here is the most important one for me. The players play a LOT better in front of him. The way they came out in the 3rd last game it certainly looks like they have issues with George. I wouldn't be surprised that in the 2nd intermission George wasn't willing to take ownership of his poor performance in the first two periods and the players gave up on him. That was not a typical 3rd period from them. However they will battle for Juice.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
7-4-1, 2.24 GAA, 0.931 sv% just isn't garbage no matter how you slice it. And it's matched the eye test

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Interesting conversation, I'm glad you started a thread on it @MarkT. My 2 cents:

Terrible time of the season to have a goalie controversy break out but I don't think anyone actually believes Georgiev's play is responsible for him leading the NHL in wins. Many of his 37 wins have come despite his play rather than because of it.

I've been pushing for Justus to get more starts lately because we've got to see if he can be consistent with a heavier workload. His lack of experience is the only thing holding me back from feeling confident in that. However, my lack of confidence in Georgiev has become stronger than my lack of confidence in Justus' ability to maintain or even improve on what he's done in his few starts. Alexandar has just become too erratic to be the guy in this high-octane system. Check out Georgiev's Low Danger Goals Saved Above Average.

PlayerGPTOIShots AgainstSavesGoals AgainstSV%GAAGSAAxG AgainstHD Shots AgainstHD SavesHD Goals AgainstHDSV%HDGAAHDGSAAMD Shots AgainstMD SavesMD Goals AgainstMDSV%MDGAAMDGSAALD Shots AgainstLD SavesLD Goals AgainstLDSV%LDGAALDGSAARush Attempts AgainstRebound Attempts AgainstAvg. Shot DistanceAvg. Goal Distance
Justus Annunen
12​
553.58​
297​
275​
22​
0.926​
2.38​
4.52​
24.78​
79​
65​
14​
0.823​
1.52​
1.52​
70​
65​
5​
0.929​
0.54​
1.77​
138​
135​
3​
0.978​
0.33​
1.92​
16​
52​
35.75​
17.86​
Alexandar Georgiev
59​
2697.45​
1260​
1145​
115​
0.909​
2.56​
-2.47​
108.61​
325​
262​
63​
0.806​
1.4​
0.86​
265​
237​
28​
0.894​
0.62​
-2.38​
594​
570​
24​
0.96​
0.53​
-2.84​
78​
226​
36.24​
19.21​
Ivan Prosvetov
11​
400.97​
201​
181​
20​
0.900​
2.99​
-2.05​
17.94​
54​
41​
13​
0.759​
1.95​
-2.39​
58​
53​
5​
0.914​
0.75​
0.61​
82​
80​
2​
0.976​
0.3​
0.92​
11​
34​
32.15​
17.6​

There's not a metric available by Natural Stat Trick in which Georgiev is a better goaltender than Annunen.

I think I'd throw Georgiev's fragile state of mind to the road and tell Justus that the road to the starters crease begins tomorrow in Dallas. Just start playing Annunen until we lose a game we should have won. Then see how Georgiev responds. If he crumbles due to sharing the net f*** him and bring up Ivan. Georgiev has been given EVERY damned opportunity to turn it around this season and get his shit together and he performs like he did last night. I don't have a lot of confidence that Justus can become the long-term answer to our starter's problem, but I'm beginning to believe that Georgiev is proving more and more each day that he's actually a liability, not a last line of defense.

Honestly, if I was Bednar, I would have been extremely tempted to pull a reverse Patrick Roy and yank Georgiev last night and as he came to the bench tell him loudly and in front of everyone that he's played his last game in an Avalanche uniform.
Not Bednar's style. But when Bednar comes out and declares that the team needed a save at a particular point of the game (implying they didn't get it), it's almost as devastating.

This is serious... I'd rather have over the hill, done and finished Fluery here than Georgiev.

And I know that's an idiotic assertion.....

I just can't stand the guy any longer.......

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
7-4-1, 2.24 GAA, 0.931 sv% just isn't garbage no matter how you slice it. And it's matched the eye test
Quality of competition was worse, however, but i can't imagine he would be any worse than Fourgiev against any team.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
I'm not sold on Annunen just yet. He's looked decent in his limited time up, and Georgiev ain't doing himself any favors lately. But I'll need to see more from Chipmunk before I anoint him as the starter. And we all know that if Georgiev can get his crap together he's an impressive goaltender. But that's no guarantee.
Here's hoping.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm not sold on Annunen just yet. He's looked decent in his limited time up, and Georgiev ain't doing himself any favors lately. But I'll need to see more from Chipmunk before I anoint him as the starter. And we all know that if Georgiev can get his crap together he's an impressive goaltender. But that's no guarantee.
Here's hoping.
Impressively shitty maybe.

Reactions: katfude

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
calling Annunen "garbage" right now is being rude for the sake of being rude. Im cheering a lot for him and want him badly to succeed because I for once want to see the Avs being able to develop a goalie through their system. I cheered a lot for Pickard, unfortunately it didnt work out in the long run and he became just a #3. but as of now, odds for Annunen are at least 50-50. seeing what he has done and his numbers, Id lean personally more on the optimistic side, but fine if people want to be more skeptical. thats a lot different than calling him "garbage" though.

on a side note, for those curious, look at even Pickard's stats this season and compare with George. lol

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Georgiev had a nice first but he just gets out of his groove too easy when something doesn't go his way. And it's virtually impossible for him to steal a game for us this year.

The biggest thing that makes me prefer Annunen is his headspace. He might struggle from time to time but he's pretty calm and cool. As a fan and a player, that's the mentality I want in a tender -not a highly emotional guy that is a bad goal away from unraveling. That anxiety permeates through the team.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
It's funny to think that our playoff chances very well could hinge on the length of rope Bednar gives Georgiev.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
MacFarland had a hell of a TDL....

But he really failed to not bring in another goalie to the mix.... This could be the our downfall this year......

Anyway, i would say bringing in a long-term solution in our net is top-priority this off-season if we wont win the cup this year again. And even if we somehow pull it off, i think there is allready a rift between the players and Georgiev.......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad