Goalie competition tops Maple Leafs' five questions

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
the way I see it is neither goalie has had back to back 60+ games played and played at a high level to suggest either are #1's at this point.

That's true. JR, for example, has never played in more than 37 games in a season in his career. How can you say with any confidence that he is a #1?

hockeyfanz*

#1 Goalie...Bernier...no question.

Impact from Dubas? Eventually I imagine but perhaps not for some time.

Clarkson? Third liner at best. Can hope for 10-15 goals. Still horrendous for that caphit.

SF vs. SA? Cannot be worse than last year I dont think. Should be better than last year.

Playoff team? Bubble team at best. Dont think so. I believe they will be sellers at the trade deadline, moving out some bigger pieces.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
1. Bernier; not even a question. Reimer may not even make it to the end of the season with the Leafs
2. None. Assistant GM's should not be changing hockey teams. Besides, he's just one branch of a whole bunch of Shanny moves. He's had his hand in a few things, but it's not like he orchestrated the whole thing.
3. 3rd line with a chance to crack the 2nd. I think that 2RW spot will be a revolving door, but I think it'll be Frattin or him and the other on the 3RW spot.
4. Hopefully, considering it was one of the worst in the decade.
5. Yes, I think so. Won't go far, but this team is more likely to make the playoffs than the Leafs team of two years ago. Solid defense, as long as everyone is able to hold up to their expectations (Robidas). Polak is also quite underrated; there's a reason we had to trade a 4th, which ended up being a top Finnish goalie, on top of Gunnarsson to get him. Bottom 6 is the best it's been in a while; 2nd line has some red flags and may be rebuilt over the season if the team is going to lose (i.e. trading Lupul), but besides defense that's probably the biggest problem we have. A handful of players could be moved out in order to properly restructure our roster and maybe get better, but that may happen over the season.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I like both goalies, but obviously I feel a little more comfortable with Bernier in net at the moment.

However, there is going to be a goalie battle... and Reimer could end up with the number one spot very easily. When Reimer is playing well, he's pretty incredible. And while Bernier is pretty solid most of the time, he did let in quite a few weak/fluke/omg goals last year (which everyone essentially gave him a pass for and no one really focused on them, thankfully).

Reimer is going to get his chance to prove he can still play (and he often rises to the task). There are 7 pre-season games, so I expect him to start in 2 or 3 of them.

We open against Montreal and Bernier will likely start that game.

However then we play the Pens on Saturday followed by the Rangers on Sunday. So Reimer is going to get one of the back to back games. So within the first 3 games, if Reimer wins his game and plays lights out... and we lose the two games that Bernier starts where he lets in some softies.... then who starts game 4 against the Avs?

We then have another back to back for games 5 and 6 against Detroit. So Reimer is going to start one of those games almost for sure since I expect each team to play their back-up in one of the games.

We then have ANOTHER back to back, this time against some easy teams (Islanders and Sens)... so the goalies are probably splitting this too (unless Reimer has totally bombed up until this point and we put Bernier in both nights to try to get the 4 points against easy teams).

So in the first 8 games, there are 3 back to backs... so my guess is that Reimer is going to get at least 3 starts.

Game 9 is Boston. And we also know that Carlyle liked to shelter Bernier and at least last year, he sometimes tended to give Reimer the games he thought that we weren't going to win.

But if Reimer can pull out some of those 50 shot shutouts like he did vs. Washington last year... and if Bernier lets in some soft goals (and his style makes it look like he's not even trying)... there could be some pressure to go with Reimer if he is hot and battling hard and winning games.

Assuming no major injuries, I would personally handicap it at 80% vs. 20% that Bernier gets the majority of the starts. But if Reimer out plays him, I think they'll go with whoever is better and winning games... and Reimer is going to get his chance with all these back to backs... so he'll get the opportunity to show everyone what he can do.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I am not counting out Reimer from winning back the starter's role, for those that forgot he was the starter in Montreal last year on opening night, was the first star. Only a short year ago.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I like both goalies, but obviously I feel a little more comfortable with Bernier in net at the moment.

However, there is going to be a goalie battle... and Reimer could end up with the number one spot very easily. When Reimer is playing well, he's pretty incredible. And while Bernier is pretty solid most of the time, he did let in quite a few weak/fluke/omg goals last year (which everyone essentially gave him a pass for and no one really focused on them, thankfully).

Reimer is going to get his chance to prove he can still play (and he often rises to the task). There are 7 pre-season games, so I expect him to start in 2 or 3 of them.

We open against Montreal and Bernier will likely start that game.

However then we play the Pens on Saturday followed by the Rangers on Sunday. So Reimer is going to get one of the back to back games. So within the first 3 games, if Reimer wins his game and plays lights out... and we lose the two games that Bernier starts where he lets in some softies.... then who starts game 4 against the Avs?

We then have another back to back for games 5 and 6 against Detroit. So Reimer is going to start one of those games almost for sure since I expect each team to play their back-up in one of the games.

We then have ANOTHER back to back, this time against some easy teams (Islanders and Sens)... so the goalies are probably splitting this too (unless Reimer has totally bombed up until this point and we put Bernier in both nights to try to get the 4 points against easy teams).

So in the first 8 games, there are 3 back to backs... so my guess is that Reimer is going to get at least 3 starts.

Game 9 is Boston. And we also know that Carlyle liked to shelter Bernier and at least last year, he sometimes tended to give Reimer the games he thought that we weren't going to win.

But if Reimer can pull out some of those 50 shot shutouts like he did vs. Washington last year... and if Bernier lets in some soft goals (and his style makes it look like he's not even trying)... there could be some pressure to go with Reimer if he is hot and battling hard and winning games.

Assuming no major injuries, I would personally handicap it at 80% vs. 20% that Bernier gets the majority of the starts. But if Reimer out plays him, I think they'll go with whoever is better and winning games... and Reimer is going to get his chance with all these back to backs... so he'll get the opportunity to show everyone what he can do.

All this sounds pretty reasonable. Reimer will get his chances and I hope he makes the most of them. But in the end it's still gonna be Bernier.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
I am not counting out Reimer from winning back the starter's role, for those that forgot he was the starter in Montreal last year on opening night, was the first star. Only a short year ago.

That's fine and dandy but for that to happen it would mean Bernier would have struggled and that's the part I don't see happening. It's not a bad thing to believe that Bernier is a better goalie. From what I witnessed last season Bernier just flat out fundamentally, mentally & talent wise is a better goalie. Reimer first thing first needs to rediscover his butterfly because that's when he's good. Getting rattled cause of his weak glove hand effects the rest of his game losing focus & his butterfly into a flopping goaltender. That's when his rebound control suffers and he becomes a leaky faucet getting beat from the outside with pucks that go through him.

His butterfly is the key in finding success taking advantage of his size, staying in control and square to the shooter. That's when he's good. When he's noisy and flopping around your better off pulling him cause that's the first sign that he's rattled.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
He's shown more in the past.
But he is my biggest question mark.

Kevin Porter who concussed Gardiner, is the same guy who tore Booth's MCL

Marginally, I suppose. Both are guys that scored 30 once. Booth put up a few seasons of 20 or more as well, while Clarkson has had a couple of 15-goal seasons to his credit.

The difference is, Clarkson has contributed physical play, toughness and a net presence while Booth, when he doesn't score, is nothing but a guy with good wheels and precious little else.

I think Clarkson is much more likely to bounce back and be a contributor than Booth is.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Better question for me is who backs-up Bernier when Reimer is injured? He is injured every year. God-forbid Bernier and Reimer get injured - are we talking Sparks and Gibson?

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Better question for me is who backs-up Bernier when Reimer is injured? He is injured every year. God-forbid Bernier and Reimer get injured - are we talking Sparks and Gibson?

It's true, plus Bernier is so much better than Reimer. It's gonna suck having to argue about this again with fans who don't understand the position, wish they just traded Reimer .. but he had NO VALUE.

I WONDER WHY?

Tyler Biggs*

It didn't matter who was in net, no one was finishing checks, forechecking, supporting the puck out of the zone, or even competing for the most part. I think we still have one of the top 5 goaltending duos in the league, and with some actual systems in place and being executed we will see soon enough, I'm excited.

Shimso

Oct 9, 2011
As someone who is a fan of Reimer and thinks that he is underappreciated and taken a bit for granted by Leafs fans, there's no way I think there's a controversy. Bernier's the #1. End of story.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012

if there is no trade, then i'd put in gibson.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Got to love the logic of some on here. "Reimer is useless or els ehe would have been traded OMG he is still here? that means he sucks111!!.
". Kessel is still here, does that mean he has no value?

Management knows what we have in Reimer. Go back and watch the playoffs minus the last 10 minutes of game 7. I know you people have the memory of a goldfish, but reimer but the team on his back in games 5 and 6.

I would make a bet with anyone that Bernier struggles this year and Reimer takes it back in time for the playoffs where they make it, and reimer loses the first game. Then there is a big **** show about should Bernier start game 2?

StringsAttached

BPD Nation!
Oct 1, 2013
Vaughan, ON
1. Mr. Berns!
2. RC's a dinosaur I don't see him taking Dubas too serious but hey, people can change right?!
3. Clarkson should improve but his contract makes me angry.
4. I don't think its possible to allow more SA/G than last season
5. I feel with the players we brought in that we are a playoff team. There's no way we collapse 4 years in a row.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad