"Goal number 500 in 575 games. Nobody does it better. Nobody has done it faster."

tazzy19

Mar 27, 2008
Amazing video. Just another typical 5 point, empty net goal performance from Gretzky, but it's the way he did it -- as usual, in the dying minutes. Before the game, he said he wanted to score the hat trick to do it, and he goes out and scores the hat trick. Has there ever been a more dramatic player? Not even Bossy or Lemieux got to 500 in less games (or 600, 700 for that matter, forget about 800 or 894). And this guy wasn't a goal scorer! Lol

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
In addendum, I suggest all younger fans get NHL Vault from NHL.com. Was watching some old Ray Bourque videos and had forgotten so much from that time since i was so young. Really put things in perspective again.

tazzy19

Mar 27, 2008
Trap, shot-blocking, parity, speed of the game
That may be true, but watch game 2 of the 87 Canada Cup vs Russia, and tell me if the game today comes close to that level of speed and tempo. And after it's over, check to see who had 5 assists that game, and who was literally all over the ice for from beginning to end.

Qurpiz

Carry me home!
Nov 5, 2006
That may be true, but watch game 2 of the 87 Canada Cup, and tell me if the game today comes close to that level of speed and tempo. And after it's over, check to see who had 5 assists that game, and who was literally all over the ice for from beginning to end.

I know sarcasm is hard to pass through a message board, but still...

tazzy19

Mar 27, 2008
Notice how Gretzky opens the ice and forces the D out of position? Any era. Any era.
Also notice how he waits till he hits the red line to negate any possible icing? Who does that when they're on the verge of scoring goal number 500?! Talk about confidence...

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Also notice how he waits till he hits the red line to negate any possible icing? Who does that when they're on the verge of scoring goal number 500?! Talk about confidence...

That was part of what made him great; he thought the game not individual stats. He was already scoring that goal, he was just setting up the process - like a chess grandmaster.

pt_mck

Jul 1, 2005
Ottawa
That was part of what made him great; he thought the game not individual stats. He was already scoring that goal, he was just setting up the process - like a chess grandmaster.

He knew where players on both teams were going to be before they did.

Kamal007

FEEL LIKE PABLO
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto
Gretzky, at the age of 35+, with a messed up back, in the middle of the dead puck era, with the likes of Pronger, Lidstrom and Niedermayer playing put up 90+ points twice. I think he could handle this era just fine.

tazzy19

Mar 27, 2008
Phil Esposito once said that Gretzky knew what the opposition was going to do before they knew what they were going to do.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

I've seen Nicklas Lidström doing the same in the years watching him. He sees when the 3rd guy is going to be open (when passing to the 2nd guy) and where the 2nd guy is going to pass.

And he knows the same when opposite team has the puck.

It's just incredible vision.

tazzy19

Mar 27, 2008
Gretzky, at the age of 35+, with a messed up back, in the middle of the dead puck era, with the likes of Pronger, Lidstrom and Niedermayer playing put up 90+ points twice. I think he could handle this era just fine.
He scored 102 points as a 35 year old, 97 points as a 36 year old, and 90 points (one point back out of 2nd overall) as a 37 year old. All in the dead puck era, playing against Hasek & Brodeur, etc, as a shadow of his former self with a bad back and arthritis, and the last two years on a hopeless team.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Messier gets a concussion at 6:30. And keeps playing. Oh 80s.

Seeing MacTavish without a helmet is just pure old school.

Gretzky dominates every play. His vision is just insane.

At 9:40 some guy literally is bear-hugging Gretzky.

Waiting until he passes the red line (by half an inch) to shoot is just pure brilliance.

dan1el

Oct 16, 2011

Some f**kin player like what Matt Cooke used to be would put an elbow in his head right away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad