GMs that commute from other cities / work remote

senseimike

Dec 6, 2015
I remember reading once when Yzerman returned to the Wings as GM that he worked remote and/or commuted from Detroit while he was GM for the Lightning. So this had me wondering- is this normal for GM's? Do a lot of them not actually live in the city/region of the city their team plays for?

Reactions: dalewood12

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
I don't know.

I know a lot of "advisors" work remotely, like Nicklas Lidstrom, who works for the Wings, but lives in Sweden.

Sergei Gonchar, the assistant coach for the Canucks, lives full-time in Dallas, and works remotely.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I don't know.

I know a lot of "advisors" work remotely, like Nicklas Lidstrom, who works for the Wings, but lives in Sweden.

Sergei Gonchar, the assistant coach for the Canucks, lives full-time in Dallas, and works remotely.
Lecavalier for the Habs is based in ottawa

Also Hughes and Gorton both make it known their homes are in the Boston area but live through the season in Montreal

Galactico

Feb 17, 2016
Canada
Would be interesting to know if some of them working for Canadian teams live in the US for taxes purposes.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Rick Dudley lives in Lockport outside of Buffalo despite having been in various front offices, including as the Panthers' senior advisor now.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Would be interesting to know if some of them working for Canadian teams live in the US for taxes purposes.
If I'm not mistaken, Shanahan lives in NYC even though he's the Leafs president

Not sure how much you save taxes-wise from living in NYC tho....

Reactions: Summer Rose

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Not a GM but during his time with Vancouver, John Tortorella was living in Washington

Supposedly his office at the rink turned into a bedroom
I think needs to be pointed out Point Roberts USA is literally 30-45 minutes to downtown Vancouver. Many players probably live there for tax purposes. I first heard of this when the NBA was still here and many players did that.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Paul Fenton spent weeks at a time at his second home in Florida the one year he ran the Wild. Hes the example of what not to do when you're a GM

I think needs to be pointed out Point Roberts USA is literally 30-45 minutes to downtown Vancouver. Many players probably live there for tax purposes. I first heard if this when the NBA was still here and many players did that.

IIRC Messier also lived there when he played for the Canucks

Reactions: 82Ninety42011

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I remember reading once when Yzerman returned to the Wings as GM that he worked remote and/or commuted from Detroit while he was GM for the Lightning. So this had me wondering- is this normal for GM's? Do a lot of them not actually live in the city/region of the city their team plays for?

Yzerman lived in TB while GM for TB, his family lived in Detroit.

Reactions: Voight

Ajaton Azer

A small hamster
Dec 5, 2005
Spandex
I think that working remote is quite easy for hockey GM, especially when compared to being a hockey coach or player. You basically only need a telephone, nice computer setup, some newspapers and internet connection, and you are on your way to earning thousends from home!

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Not a GM but during his time with Vancouver, John Tortorella was living in Washington

Supposedly his office at the rink turned into a bedroom

It wasn't turned into a bedroom but they literally bought him a cot to take naps in his office if need be because they were so desperate to get him to stop skipping practices and actually do his job.

Reactions: thekernel

Kamaya Painters

Nov 8, 2018
Scotty Bowman lived in Buffalo when he coached the Penguins in the early 90's. He'd let his assistant coaches take care of practices and turn up to games according to some former players. It was mainly because a large majority of players couldn't stand him.

I also remember listening to an interview with an NHL-scout (can't remember his name, think it was during Patrik Allvin's time as Penguins scout) that lived in a certain city in the US. He said loads of other NHL-scouts in the US were based in the same city because it was easier to actually scout the players from a geographical standpoint. I can't remember the name of the city though.

Reactions: deepdark

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I think needs to be pointed out Point Roberts USA is literally 30-45 minutes to downtown Vancouver. Many players probably live there for tax purposes. I first heard of this when the NBA was still here and many players did that.
I think it needs to be pointed out that this is literally only the case if you are driving way off peak hours. Anything during the day (for example, a morning commute to practice) then you're looking at a minimum of 55 minutes, with three bridge crossings and a literal border. It's no wonder he ended up being the laziest coach we ever had, he was probably zombified by the time the players started lacing up.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I think it needs to be pointed out that this is literally only the case if you are driving way off peak hours. Anything during the day (for example, a morning commute to practice) then you're looking at a minimum of 55 minutes, with three bridge crossings and a literal border. It's no wonder he ended up being the laziest coach we ever had, he was probably zombified by the time the players started lacing up.
Yes can take that long or even longer but I'd gander plenty of athletes in say LA or NY possibly take much longer than an hour to get to the stadium with traffic. Were pretty lucky in Canada maybe outside of Toronto where we don't spend much time commuting. I've got family in California and to hear from them spending 2-3 hours a day in car everyday isn't uncommon.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad