GMJB moves so far - HF grades

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
[ANA/VAN] Ryan Kesler for Nick Bonino, Luca Sbisa, 24th OA

GRADE: B-

I think this a decent return and addition by subtraction. Kesler needed to go - he didn't make his teammates better and he was a constant source of drama in the last year. Only thing is I don't understand how we didn't get the 10th and no Sbisa maybe.

~

[VAN/TB] Jason Garrison, 7th in 2015, Jeff Costello for TB's 2nd (50th OA) ‎

GRADE: C-

You don't trade top-4 defencemen for a 2nd rounder, let alone throw in marginal assets to boot. Sure, trade Garrison but get at least two second rounders and don't throw in extra picks/assets to sweeten an already sweet deal.

~

[NYR/VAN] Derek Dorsett to VAN for 85th Overall

GRADE: C

A fourth liner isn't worth a 3rd round pick. I think Dorsett is a decent fit and a good pickup, but at $1.6M there was no way we should have paid a 3rd rounder.

~

Not re-signing Santorelli (if true)

GRADE: F

No risk, high reward for a versatile player, he wants to stay, seems like a no-brainer.

~

I actually like what Benning is doing here but he is getting fleeced.

Last edited:

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
Fire Jim Benning.. he said Kesler's value would be highest at the trade deadline and then traded him at the draft. Is he incompetent or just a liar like his boss?

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
Kesler wanted out and then had a 2 team list... really tough spot. I don't like the return, but you have to take that into consideration.

Garry deal idk. Will judge this one based on how JB uses the cap space.

Dorsett: overpayment, but not terribly. Good 4th liner.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Give the moves time....jeez people. Benning is obviously rebuilding unless he goes nuts on free agency:

Apparently much more moves to come at the draft for Van city..

Master Radishes

Nov 29, 2011
At this point in time I like the Kesler trade well enough, see the necessity of the Garrison cap dump although I don't like it, and think the Dorsett deal is outright stupid.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Right now...
Based on these trades...
I have no hopes for the draft..
So I will give him a F.

He may change my mind after the draft...
But I am not optimistic.

Last edited:

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Ya i'm not going to rate the trades a couple hours after they happen...

Agreed. Besides, for me, it all comes down to his drafting abilities and how he handles UFA signings. If he goes out and completely over pays for UFA's I will blow my top. This team is years away from challenging. No way we can get past ANA, CHI or L.A so why even bother. Concentrate on drafting high and developing those players.

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
I'm giving him an A+ simply because he's trolled HFBoards like no one ever has or may ever again. Today has been exceedingly entertaining.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Kesler B - Given the circumstances I think this is a decent trade. What doesn't make sense is getting a player who is very similar to Santorilli who we could have just signed.

Garrison C- - I don't get this one. I think Nucks will pick up a D man that is suited better for the team. Garrison is a redundant but the return on this trade is poor.

Dorsett C - I don't like him and he isn't a good player. He fights and is a pest but can't do anything else.

EDIT Forgot to add what worries me about the JG trade is maybe layers won't take home town discounts now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad