Post-Game Talk: [GM78] Canucks defeat Golden Knights | 4-3 (Garland(2), Hughes, & Boeser) | All the Milestones

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
The "sloggish" parts need to be read more carefully. Small example, did you catch the foreshadowing of the arrival of the Sharans? Massive example, did you catch the foreshadowing of the cleansing in Book 9, which began in Book 1?

First one no, second one yes.

I'm referring to books 8-10, which seem to be commonly regarded as a tough go. Similar to GRRM's "Mereneese Knot", though we may never know how he planned to finish that one.

I do think RJ got himself back on track with Knife of Dreams, and then Brandon Sanderson finished the series about as well as anybody not named RJ could have hoped to.

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Him walking off after his post-game on-ice interview intro was just.... Epic!
Good for him.. Good for the fans for understanding their recognition of great performances is meaningful. Such a nice moment.

After JTM acknowledged how amazing that moment was for him and family, I'm so happy that resonated with the fans... And then they 'blessed' Garland with the same... Truely awesome..

WHOSE NEXT!?
I don't think there's been a crowd chant for Quinn Hughes, and it's WAY overdue.

Reactions: B-rock

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
Make Silvos the starter until Demko is back

He wasn’t good this game but DeSmtih has been even worse

Meh

He let in 2 on 2 shots and that third goal was terrible
save % .87

But at least he didn’t let in a goal immediately after the team pulled one back so that’s an improvement on DeSmith already

I don't think Silovs played that much better and he was lucky we came back ... as you say at least he didn't give up one right after scored. Silovs is just a touch better positionally, and doesn't get running out of position. If he could just stop easy straight forward shots though. Once he got dialed in he was real gud !!!

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
First one no, second one yes.

I'm referring to books 8-10, which seem to be commonly regarded as a tough go. Similar to GRRM's "Mereneese Knot", though we may never know how he planned to finish that one.

I do think RJ got himself back on track with Knife of Dreams, and then Brandon Sanderson finished the series about as well as anybody not named RJ could have hoped to.
Yeah way off topic but I've always liked pointing out the contrast here. While both Robert Jordan and GRRM lost control of their plot, Jordan just kept hammering away at it continuing to put out lesser quality books every 3 years or so and completed his series. Martin on the other hand took more the perfectionist route trying to get back on track and... well yeah, 1 book released in about 20 years years and likely an unfinished series.

Ideally the author maintains control of their large series, like Brandon Sanderson or Stephen Ericksson, but if it has to go off the rails I wish Martin just sucked it up and pulled a Robert Jordan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Quinn Hughes basically willed the Canucks back into that game. When he first arrived in the NHL, his shot was a bit of a pop-gun. No longer. You knew he was such a great player, that he'd work religiously on all aspects of his game.

But now that his point shot is approaching 'laser beam' status, who's going to stop him, particularly on the PP? Now up to 88 points, and he'll hit the century mark in one season before his career is done.

He won't get much love from the pundits when it comes to the Hart. But I think you could argue that Quinn has been more important to the Canucks rise to first in the Pacific, than any of McDavid, McKinnon or Matthews because their teams were already good heading into the season.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Lost in the milestones and Garland tearing up is that this was possibly Mikheyev's best game as a Canuck. Might be a situation like Boeser and Garland last year where over time he actually starts contributing positively and adds some value to the club. At least that's the hope.

Last edited:

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Well the last period or so I saw we looked pretty good. What happened in the beginning? Shorty said Silovs had a tought start?
Yes we dominated and had a questionable call against us. The interference on Boeser was the other way around.
That doesn't mean we should still suck on the PK though.
It got better though :)

Reactions: mossey3535

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
JT Miller wearing his custom made Garland 400 games shirt in the post game interview :laugh:

They should put those Garland 400 games shirts in the team store.

I’m not a merchandise guy - I think a Canucks beer glass is the only thing I have in our house - but that’s the best shirt I’ve seen since the Utica Comets Colton Saucerman ‘Get Sauced’ shirt that I still regret not buying.

Reactions: MS

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Silov stayed in net and didn't wander out nor get anxious the way Desmith has been getting.
Also, you have to think Silov has not received the scouting that Desmith has so the book on him has been barely written.

One thing I noticed is the Canucks were crashing the net the way they haven't been all season. It was enough to give Logan Thompson fits but not once did the refs blow it back as interference. In fact, as we saw, a linesman of all people was explaining in great detail to the other officials that Petterson did nothing wrong and it was confirmed to be a good goal.

Thought Petterson played well tonight. I'm tired of these slapshots though - every goalie can see them coming. This isn't the 60's/70's anymore; goalies wear equipment and protect their heads.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Yeah way off topic but I've always liked pointing out the contrast here. While both Robert Jordan and GRRM lost control of their plot, Jordan just kept hammering away at it continuing to put out lesser quality books every 3 years or so and completed his series. Martin on the other hand took more the perfectionist route trying to get back on track and... well yeah, 1 book released in about 20 years years and likely an unfinished series.

Ideally the author maintains control of their large series, like Brandon Sanderson or Stephen Ericksson, but if it has to go off the rails I wish Martin just sucked it up and pulled a Robert Jordan.
You would have been okay with how the HBO show runners ended GOT? Because that ending, which sucked, was based on GRRM's broad outline for the story arc. I'm sure that audience reaction to seasons 7 and 8 probably gave GRRM pause as he was working on Winds of Winter.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Green Dragon in the Shire
Golden Perch in Stock
Prancing Pony by Barliman Butterbur in Bree
The Foresaken Inn one day east of bree
The Floating Log .... Eastfarthing in Frogmorton I believe
Old Guest House - Minas Tirith
Ivy bush - Shire
Bridge Inn - shire
All welcome Inn - Shire

I am not entirely sure this list is correct, I wrote it down years ago, when I was in one of those moods. Surprised I was able to find it in a book of crap I keep.

Edit - I went by memory and had the prancing pony by barley butter man. thought it was wrong and looked it up on line. my bad.

Re-edit - Its the Old Guesthouse ... and I spent 20 minutes on lines looking through stuff by other nerds, and for the most part the list above is pretty much most of it. The floating Log isn't mentioned where I looked, will have to try to figure out where I got it from. I know its in the books somewhere.

RE re-edit - okay the floating log was where they planned to stay on the way home, but it was closed down before the scouring of the Shire. there are expectations that it will re-open.
Okay for the other nerds I have updated this .... trivial trivia.

Reactions: I am toxic

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
You would have been okay with how the HBO show runners ended GOT? Because that ending, which sucked, was based on GRRM's broad outline for the story arc. I'm sure that audience reaction to seasons 7 and 8 probably gave GRRM pause as he was working on Winds of Winter.

I would not have a problem with it if it was properly fleshed out... you can 100% tell what was suppose to happen. But you know the turn with Danny would have been earned and drawn out properly instead of what we got. It was mostly the quick execution of it.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Lost in the milestones and Garland tearing up is that this was possibly Mikheyev's best game as a Canuck. Might be a situation like Boeser and Garland last year where over time he actually starts contributing positively and adds some value to the club. At least that's the hope.

honestly i think he was routinely this good before the injury

Reactions: geebster

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Oh yes I could go on and on about that, but I was talking about something completely different. I was talking about A Song of Ice and Fire, the book series, not A Game of Thrones.

Like racerjoe is saying above, the show writers got some cliff note bullet points on the ending from GRRM and just ham-fisted everything in between. People got so caught up on the ending there but can't see the issue with the delivery. There is the cut off point where the books end and the show has to continue on it own, and so here you can make some direct comparisons to how much more well crafted and intrinsically detailed the book plot lines are vs what the show went with and continue on from there.

Which wasn't going to be an easy task regardless as the original source of the problem on the show is that Martin lost control of all his diverging plot lines and with a focus on perfection/reigning it in but can't seem to do it. When I say he should have 'Robert Jordan'd it' what I'm meaning is that Jordan ran in the same issue but just kept plucking away at it churning out a few lower quality books in the series before getting back on track for the final stretch.

Reactions: racerjoe

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

Most people completely missed what was going on in tPoD and WH. CoT was the only book that wasn't up to RJ's talent, he tried to sync the timelines through the witnessing of the use of the Choeden Kal, and he acknowledged it was a mistake. People don't realize how ill he was at that point.

To give more examples, in carefully reading tPoD, one realizes just how long Moridin has been around, and how back in LoC two books prior, Rand ogling Berelain in front of Min led Ishy to sending the gholam to kill Fel, and the ramifications for Mat, Moiraine and most of all Farstrider.

And even CoT had about eight chapters of gold, one of which - along with WH prologue - explained who sent the Trollocs against Rand at Algarin's Manor.

Just like Verin's true colors were revealed all the way back in tGH Ch 13, if people think RJ was prattling, they are missing the boat.

But to each their own.

____

As for the Canucks, these games are completely meaningless. If they go deep in the playoffs, no one will care about these April regular season games, and if they bow out early, then the team will have bigger issues to deal with going forward. Right now the biggest thing for the Canucks is making sure Demko gets some games before playoffs, and key players with injuries are rested from games while practicing as much as they can.

Reactions: Sonny A

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
____

As for the Canucks, these games are completely meaningless. If they go deep in the playoffs, no one will care about these April regular season games, and if they bow out early, then the team will have bigger issues to deal with going forward. Right now the biggest thing for the Canucks is making sure Demko gets some games before playoffs, and key players with injuries are rested from games while practicing as much as they can.
It will be interesting to see what this team looks like next year. The core (Petey, Hughes, Miller, Demko, Boeser, Garland, Hoglander, Soucy) are locked up for a while, but there are a lot of support players that are going to want a raise, and we just don't have money for all of them. The big ones are Zadorov and Hronek on D and Joshua on forward (Pods too I suppose, but a RFA who should sign for a reasonable amount). I highly expect that Hronek is just going to want too much money.

Reactions: I am toxic

ProviesGhost

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver
Thought Petterson played well tonight. I'm tired of these slapshots though - every goalie can see them coming. This isn't the 60's/70's anymore; goalies wear equipment and protect their heads.
I thought he played well too, he needs to take that shot regularly though (even if he doesn't score on it as much) because it opens up other options. He hasn't taken the shot nearly enough IMO and that has stagnated him and (partially) the PP.

Reactions: LuckyDay

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Garland blossoming into a consistent top six forward has been fantastic to see. You could tell he had a ton going for him but he struggled with long dry spells. Also can't have been easy dealing with constant trade speculation.

You forget these guys are humans at the end of the day.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Garland blossoming into a consistent top six forward has been fantastic to see. You could tell he had a ton going for him but he struggled with long dry spells. Also can't have been easy dealing with constant trade speculation.

You forget these guys are humans at the end of the day.
However, a lot of the "trade speculation" seems to be due to the fact he asked to be traded.

Lat

Oct 12, 2005
I tried 2-3 times to get through Wheel of Time, but could never finish it.

ASoIaF was great but the last two seasons of GoT ruined my love of the series, and I'm fairly certain that GRRM will croak before the series is done.

The Stormlight Archive is amazing and with the rate Sanderson is cranking out his writing, I have high hopes that it'll end up being a great series once complete.

-

I'm glad I went to the Vegas game in person. It was great to see so many milestones hit in a single game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad