GDT: GM73: the Broons @ the Goons - 7pm-ish

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Detroit went 3-9-2 in March. Philadelphia went 5-7-3. Washington went 9-5-1.

Neither DET nor PHI have a deep wealth of experience to bank on. You've got to like Washington's chances of finding a way to at least make it in. Once there I don't doubt they have at least one or two clunkers that aren't close. But even with a tougher schedule you've got to like their chances.

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017
Yeah I agree that’s definitely a possibility. But for Philly to get 92 points they have to go 5-2 down the stretch and Detroit has to go 6-2. So 92 might even be more points than we need.

Philly's remaining schedule is soft as a baby's bottom. Isles, Sabres, Blue Jackets, Habs, Rags (exception obv but they might have 1 seed wrapped up by then), and Devs before finishing out with us.

Wouldn't be unreasonable to pencil in wins against the Isles, Sabres, Blue Jackets, Habs, and Devs and there's your 5 right there.

Detroit, OTOH, has a much tougher road ahead to finish and they've been sputtering along so I wouldn't be surprised to see them fade away. We shall see.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Philly's remaining schedule is soft as a baby's bottom. Isles, Sabres, Blue Jackets, Habs, Rags (exception obv but they might have 1 seed wrapped up by then), and Devs before finishing out with us.

Wouldn't be unreasonable to pencil in wins against the Isles, Sabres, Blue Jackets, Habs, and Devs and there's your 5 right there.
They just lost 5-1 to Chicago. I wouldn’t pencil in anything with that team.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Yeah I agree that’s definitely a possibility. But for Philly to get 92 points they have to go 5-2 down the stretch and Detroit has to go 6-2. So 92 might even be more points than we need.

exactly, and in that scenario, detroit would have to have to at least go 1-1 in their next two vs tampa and rangers

Reactions: Ovie's Neighbor

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017
They just lost 5-1 to Chicago. I wouldn’t pencil in anything with that team.

No but maybe this is the rock bottom they hit before going on a hot streak starting against some other bad opponents, who knows.

My point is simply: we can't let off the gas and expect to coast in, even though the odds are pretty good at this point that they'll make it. Also, I would much rather get M3 than W2 (though would be happy with either of course).

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
1711853118257.gif

My game puck goes to Mike "Leandro" Sgarbossa. Honorable mentions to Nick Jensen, Charlie Lindgren, and Trevor van Riemsdyk.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Lindgren without a doubt should be our #1 goalie next season. Kuemper must be 50% retained on his contract and traded. Hunter Shepard is tearing it up in the 2nd half of the Bears season as he's inching closer(even surpassing Clay Stevenson great rookie season) to becoming the best goalie in the AHL and is very deserving to take over the backup to Lindgren next season!

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Back from the game and just finished a quick read of comments here. My biggest takeaway was the implausibility of Carbs putting the old guys out there for virtually the entirety of the 4 minute PP in OT. Someone called it "coaching malpractice" and I'd agree.
Broons did alot of subtle and not-so-subtle interference w/o getting called for it. MacAvoy brought his elbow up on someone's face - Dowd? - with no consequences.
Carly and Stromer (despite their goal/assist, respectively) in particular seemed to have troubles with puck control. My first thought was that maybe the student athletes of Georgetown had played there this afternoon, but then realized their season is over, so bad puck bounces due to the round ball court being on this ice wasn't a viable excuse.
A point's a point. Better than a reg. loss.
On to their only two-day stretch w/o a game before the regular season ends.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Yeah, well, there no excuse to put the ham-handed Ovechkin in the shootout. You get what you deserve.
OV actually had a great placement of his shot, but Swayman just made a better save with his blocker! Shooters are taught now a days to place the shot just over the leg pad of the goalie. OV did that and Swayman made a great read and was patient making the blocker save.

To finalize it, Swayman had a very easy read on CMM. CMM casually shot high glove and Swayman stopped it. CMM didn't even try some moves to see if Swayman would bite on them. Even though it was basically a skills competition at that point, hopefully CMM learns from that mistake.

Reactions: um

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
One more thing. For all those whining how it was poor coaching on Carbery part, I might add you same forget or have too much expectations for a rookie coach! What he has done up to this point in the season with 9 games left in the season is quite remarkable considering numerous changes in the lineup throughout the season. I guess the naysayers are the ones that want the Caps to tank, forgot what Carbs said in his conference to the media, or are ignoring what Carbs said when he was hired. These aren't his exact quotes but very close to it. Carbs said that this is going to be a process, so everyone has to be patient! He said nothing about we will try to make the playoffs again. It was a retool/rebuild in mind, but the system would teach the players to compete in all three zones!

Carbs has kept to his words, but almost no one expected them to actually still be in a playoff spot with the season almost over. Arguably, you can say the Caps with their roster over achieved what they were supposed to be. So to me that gives a hell of lot credit to the overall coaching staff and a lot of credit to the vets for not giving up and all the young players that weren't supposed to be contribute like they have. Biggest creds of all to Chucky Sideburns! He's been clear cut MVP, so without him this team is already jockeying for a lottery pick!

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

EHCler

May 9, 2003
Visit site
Big point positioning ourselves well for the playoffs in 3. place in division and having games in hand.
I hope it does not come down to last game in the season.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Worst part of being at the game was how loud the bruins fans were at the end. That pissed me off. Still a good time though.

The Jose Andres signature club is also a work in progress that i guess i need to be patient with. Service in the restaurant was bad. The ordering process was hard to navigate but then we got it. The bartenders are rookies who a couple of times looked like deer in headlights. Oh, and it is expensive af!

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I was also very interested to see Iorio play. Got about what we expected as he was a bit tentative and conservative. He was however a +1 in just over 9 minutes. His fancies were +.94 which was in the top 5. He needs more games but i don’t see him getting much because it would be at expense of Alexeyev who also needs more games.

Alexeyev by the way played over 15 minutes, was a 0 on plus minus and pretty bad fancies. Keep letting that man play!

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Worst part of being at the game was how loud the bruins fans were at the end. That pissed me off. Still a good time though.
It's games like last night's that underscore the shortsightedness of the organization's decision to get rid of the organist. Used to be able to count on "Bruce" to strike up a "Let's Go Caps" melody whenever the opposing team's fans got too loud. Nothing available to do that now. (No offense to Goat.) The profits from a few diners at the signature club (or from the sale of a couple dozen overpriced beers) likely could underwrite a few hours from a keyboardist, but hey capitalists gonna capitalize.

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017
exactly, and in that scenario, detroit would have to have to at least go 1-1 in their next two vs tampa and rangers

FYI Detroit beat Tampa, Philly got a point against the Islanders, and we're on track to lose to Buffalo in regulation.

Still not in a bad spot, but we have to get wins in the next handful of games. Can't lost another two or three in the next handful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad