Post-Game Talk: [GM69] Canucks defeat Sabres | 3-2 (Pettersson(2) & Garland) | NICE!

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Badly outplayed them and it shouldn't have been that close. Finishing was really poor, especially from Boeser who messed up about 3 gifted tap-ins.

Pettersson, Miller, Hughes, Garland were very good.

Boeser, Hronek, Suter were poor. Lindholm started well but then turned back into crap.

Soucy/Cole/Zadorov/Myers were all solid, team did a good job holding them to 11 shots well into the 3rd period.

Mikheyev is continuing to skate much better.

Miller on the sidewall on the PP should never be changed again.
How do you feel about Hronek now versus a few months ago?

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
On a side note I dont know how tage thompson has less then 40 points last i looked. If that was petey there would be a melt down in this city. I dont even see national media discussing his season, its unacceptable points wise imo for someone of his skill level.

To many nights though he looks like he does not care and does not want to work for Granato, and I dont think Granato has any accountability as a players coach.

dez

Mar 3, 2012
6 minutes for Podz and 7 for Aman, So glad we didn’t add any depth for the playoffs. :thumbd:

Reactions: Indiana

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013

Lol good one.

Well that's rather bold.

I do however completely love how the offense absolutely revolves around Hughes, when he's on the ice give him the puck, now.
Offense will happen within Thirty seconds.

He's been unbelievable. Better than I would've ever thought and only getting better, clearly a level above dahlin, heiskanen etc.

Signing tanev and finding a legit partner for hronek seems like a possible no brainer.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
About what you expect from a team coming to town after playing the previous night in another city. This is basically what happened in the Winnipeg game, and what should have happened vs the Avs. I don't mean that in a bad way, we absolutely spanked the Sabres tonight, and the only time the result was in doubt was that fraction of a second when Tage Thompson dangled around Soucy. Truly my only complaint is that the score didn't reflect the chances or the possession. How many of those tips were millimeters away...

Love watching Pettersson and Hughes play. Petey makes offensive entries happen in ways that I can never predict; Quinn is the same but for zone exits. DeSmith was perfectly competent enough for us to glide the victory home. Love to see that out of your backup

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
hronek got walked by dahlin tonight. game should have been up by 2 or more goals. buffalo goalie stood his ground.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Thought the team played a very good, all round game and with a little more touch around the net they could have put Sabers away earlier. Really no passengers in this one and a step up in play by some.

Pettersson - good two way effort. Moved the puck quicker and with less hestitation. Long term, the team needs to find players that better suit his game if you're going to max out his talent. Might be some present assets can grow into being those type of players as well. Think he needs a little size on his line.

Myers - sort of epitomized the Canuck defense in this game. Kept teams largely to the outside and moved puck up from the back quickly. Soucy had the one were he got walked but he was, again, good deep in his end. Defense, in general, was as strenght in this game.

Lindholm - not perfect but skating was much better. Looked good on PK (which was an important element in this game) and stayed central to the play in every zone for most of his shifts. Don't see him scoring much but if he can provide smart puck management and defense. he should be aid moving forward.

Mikheyev - good on forecheck and getting pucks out of his zone. Best asset is skating and getting back to using it.

Garland - work continues to create chances - much as almost anyone else. Critical to any success team has. Might have shared some fault fot the first goal against

Hughes - should have got more assists - set people up cold. Whenever the team started to let down, Hughes went into hyperdrive and brought team back into the game.

Others

Hronek - having a great game, I thought, till he started giving up chances in the third. Really team was near air tight till Dahlin sifted his way through Hronek to score.

Boeser - gifted chances but missed them all. Have to think there are lot of mid range scorers - say usually in the 20 goal range - that could score at least as much and do it cheaper. Maybe trade Boeser to get someone like this or help elsewhere just to get cap room . I know this has been beat to death but the Canucks have to be open to this.

Aman - not a bad game but I believe it is now near confirmed that he can't score at this level. Funny b/c he looks so confident in that aspect in the AHL

Podkolzin - looks legit NHL but you do wonder about the ceiling. Can he ever score? Canucks need to start getting more offense from the lower lines and Podz might be the most likely to do this.

Some recent criticism of the Canucks recent play needs to recognize that they have been playing against teams on a roll. Colorado certainly is and maybe the best team in the League. Washington is playing well and pushing a hard for the playoffs. Buffalo looks to be finally rounding into the team that their personnel suggests they can and should be (given them a couple of years and they'll be trouble). The Canuck have been close in all these games and you have to acknowledge that they're playing against teams presently playing good hockey.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Thought the team played a very good, all round game and with a little more touch around the net they could have put Sabers away earlier. Really no passengers in this one and a step up in play by some.

Pettersson - good two way effort. Moved the puck quicker and with less hestitation. Long term, the team needs to find players that better suit his game if you're going to max out his talent. Might be some present assets can grow into being those type of players as well. Think he needs a little size on his line.

Myers - sort of epitomized the Canuck defense in this game. Kept teams largely to the outside and moved puck up from the back quickly. Soucy had the one were he got walked but he was, again, good deep in his end. Defense, in general, was as strenght in this game.

Lindholm - not perfect but skating was much better. Looked good on PK (which was an important element in this game) and stayed central to the play in every zone for most of his shifts. Don't see him scoring much but if he can provide smart puck management and defense. he should be aid moving forward.

Mikheyev - good on forecheck and getting pucks out of his zone. Best asset is skating and getting back to using it.

Garland - work continues to create chances - much as almost anyone else. Critical to any success team has. Might have shared some fault fot the first goal against

Hughes - should have got more assists - set people up cold. Whenever the team started to let down, Hughes went into hyperdrive and brought team back into the game.

Others

Hronek - having a great game, I thought, till he started giving up chances in the third. Really team was near air tight till Dahlin sifted his way through Hronek to score.

Boeser - gifted chances but missed them all. Have to think there are lot of mid range scorers - say usually in the 20 goal range - that could score at least as much and do it cheaper. Maybe trade Boeser to get someone like this or help elsewhere just to get cap room . I know this has been beat to death but the Canucks have to be open to this.

Aman - not a bad game but I believe it is now near confirmed that he can't score at this level. Funny b/c he looks so confident in that aspect in the AHL

Podkolzin - looks legit NHL but you do wonder about the ceiling. Can he ever score? Canucks need to start getting more offense from the lower lines and Podz might be the most likely to do this.

Some recent criticism of the Canucks recent play needs to recognize that they have been playing against teams on a roll. Colorado certainly is and maybe the best team in the League. Washington is playing well and pushing a hard for the playoffs. Buffalo looks to be finally rounding into the team that their personnel suggests they can and should be (given them a couple of years and they'll be trouble). The Canuck have been close in all these games and you have to acknowledge that they're playing against teams presently playing good hockey.
Sorry but horrible take on Brock. Even the best scorers miss 80% of the time. The guy has 36 goals and is a ppg plus 20 going up against top lines. His play since being healthy from the start for once, is top line production for 6 million a year. Christ what more does he have to do to finally get the credit he deserves.
Tochett literally has him out there closing out games, that should be enough of sign for his detracters.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
5-1-1 over last 7, with a 3-0-1 record against important conference rivals in that span.

Im a lot less negative on the team than everyone else seems to be. Their 2 losses were games they dominated for significant periods then choked. Its not inconsistency game to game its inconsistency within a game, which in my opinion is an easier thing to fix.

We know this team is going to go out there hard and carry play to start games (and usually score first). Thats a good place to be, especially with guys like Petey and Mikheyev playing better.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
CHAVqc.gif

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Sorry but horrible take on Brock. Even the best scorers miss 80% of the time. The guy has 36 goals and is a ppg plus 20 going up against top lines. His play since being healthy from the start for once, is top line production for 6 million a year. Christ what more does he have to do to finally get the credit he deserves.
Tochett literally has him out there closing out games, that should be enough of sign for his detracters.
What he does to link plays together is severely underrated here and he's actually been very good at supporting play in his own zone and in transition.
Rarely does he have an egregious turnover anymore and as you mentioned he's gonna score 40 plus.

Big deal he's slow. So is Matthew Tkachuk Tyler Toffoli Sam Renhart and Mark Stone. Anybody want these guys.

Same stupid shit as posted the other day about Miller and Boeser being bad at defense.....yes so bad that the 1st place teams coach is using him to close out games and match up against other teams top lines...and it's working.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Hughes is just far and away the best player on this team and the best defenceman in the entire league this season. Makar has been leeching points off MacKinnon.
Hughes has been the best defenseman in the league literally since the beginning of January 2023. The last 14 months.

No defenseman in the NHL has come close to matching him. His defensive metrics are literally better than Slavin, Brodin, Morrissey, McAvoy, and Moser’s, some of the best defensively elite defenders in the league.

2022 Makar was on an entirely different level, something we’ve never really seen a 23 year old do, but then people thought that was going to be the norm from there on out calling him the next Bobby Orr if not better, but he hasn’t even come close to repeating that sort of dominance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad