Post-Game Talk: [GM69] Canucks defeat Ducks | 2-1 | Miller & Pettersson

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
In case anyone was wondering, here is where the Canucks placed in points earned from March 1st until the end of the season in each year we've missed the playoffs. In particular, 2017 is probably the "clutchest" tank any team has had in recent memory, going 0-8 to end the season when getting a single point in that stretch would've bumped us down from the 2nd best lottery odds to the 5th.

2014: 27th
2016: 29th
2017: 29th
2018: 22nd
2019: 24th
2021: 24th
2022: 20th

This narrative that we always completely destroy our draft pick and that all of our fanbase is fooled by it going into the next season is just weird.

It's admittedly good this year but that basically is entirely because Demko is back, not some weird meaningless hockey voodoo, and we'll still probably go on a losing streak or two at some point as well.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
In case anyone was wondering, here is where the Canucks placed in record from March 1st until the end of the season in each year we've missed the playoffs. In particular, 2017 is probably the "clutchest" tank any team has had in recent memory, going 0-8 to end the season when getting a single point in that stretch would've bumped us down from the 2nd best lottery odds to the 5th.

This narrative that we always completely destroy our draft pick and that all of our fanbase is fooled by it going into the next season is just weird.

It's admittedly good this year but that basically is entirely because Demko is back, not some weird meaningless hockey voodoo, and we'll still probably go on a losing streak or two at some point as well.

Yeah, it’s this massive Mandela Effect thing for this fanbase.

Team goes like 5-18 to finish the season but everyone moans because they had one good mini road trip in there and only remembers that.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
In case anyone was wondering, here is where the Canucks placed in record from March 1st until the end of the season in each year we've missed the playoffs. In particular, 2017 is probably the "clutchest" tank any team has had in recent memory, going 0-8 to end the season when getting a single point in that stretch would've bumped us down from the 2nd best lottery odds to the 5th.

It's admittedly good this year but that basically is entirely because Demko is back, not some weird meaningless

Nice post. Meant to edit my original post and accidentally deleted it.

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

whoa, we were 14-7-6 from march 1 on last season and that was still only good for 20th in the league?

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
whoa, we were 14-7-6 from march 1 on last season and that was still only good for 20th in the league?
Oh, I think I messed up the filter with that one (NHL's stats section is kinda wonky). We were higher than that that year.

I also probably should've looked at it based on points percentage but even then the difference between the 18th placed team and the 22nd placed team is like 1 point.

Last edited:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
A shout out to Noah Juulsen who logged almost 17 minutes of ice time paired with Hughes..and didnt look out of place at all.

Reactions: Vector

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I personally don’t see any good reason to weight these late season stretches of good results more than the totality of the entire season.

So sure don’t value the beginning or the end above the whole. Seems obvious but some people love to shout about others biases while exhibiting recency bias.

I also don’t care about the draft lottery or ruining the pick. I just don’t value the bad teams producing points and wins at this point of the season. To each their own.

Reactions: gringo

Nov 1, 2011
This ‘top-4 pick’ stuff is pretty specious reasoning when you consider that Hughes and Pettersson are both the quality of lottery-winning picks and would be #2 overall picks in a re-draft of their year.

So would Senko + Kucherov + Letang + Keith. The losing just means you have to hit on less other stuff to get key pieces, no 1st OA can win it by themselves.

That being said, they still get star players from top 4 picks. We haven't because we won't suck bad enough to get there. It's a strategy but one we don't see work very often.

When's the last team that won without a top 4 pick (a selection they made) in the lineup.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
So would Senko + Kucherov + Letang + Keith. The losing just means you have to hit on less other stuff to get key pieces, no 1st OA can win it by themselves.

That being said, they still get star players from top 4 picks. We haven't because we won't suck bad enough to get there. It's a strategy but one we don't see work very often.

When's the last team that won without a top 4 pick (a selection they made) in the lineup.

When we sucked bad enough to get a top 4 pick, we wee lucky enough to get that Gem Joulevi.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
That's dumb enough.

Had a hundred point powerforward available as the obvious choice.

I totally agree... but no one left had anything to do with it... but the point is you need star players and it really doesn't matter where you get them, let alone where in the draft them, as long as you get them... and we have them.

Reactions: CanucksMJL

Nov 1, 2011
I totally agree... but no one left had anything to do with it... but the point is you need star players and it really doesn't matter where you get them, let alone where in the draft them, as long as you get them... and we have them.

We don't have enough of them.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
We don't have enough of them.

We have the same number as you put in your other post.

We have Hughes, Pettersson, Miller (top 10 scorer since being here) Kuze, and Demko.

I agree we need to build more depth, that is why we are a mediocore team. But 5 players seems to be the same or more than what you listed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad