Post-Game Talk: [GM6] Canucks defeat Predators | 3-2 (Mikheyev, Di Giuseppe, & Hoglander) | A Mighty Fine Start

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Wasnt he directly responsible for the first Nashville goal?

But to be fair - one goal against is probably a quiet night for Myers

Soucy was the one who cleared it up the boards and the forwards had blown the zone. Then it was a great shot by Sissons. Myers was actually on for both goals against but wasn’t really a factor in either.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Can't remember the last time I watched us dominate a road game and completely shut down the opposing team.

Everything Tocchet is saying is hitting the mark. Our new coaching staff has completely facelifted our identity - and with the early success the players have to truly be believing what's being preached.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Can't remember the last time I watched us dominate a road game and completely shut down the opposing team.

Everything Tocchet is saying is hitting the mark. Our new coaching staff has completely facelifted our identity - and with the early success the players have to truly be believing what's being preached.
is there a question mark at 3C?

For the long run

Reactions: Chiripa20

Indiana

Mar 17, 2008
Canada

Jfuvf22.gif

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York

Myers is elite at ruining every single partner he plays with

What stands out to me is the bottom-six:

First, how little offense the Joshua-Suter-Garland line is producing. They aren’t bleeding shots against—but you would hope for more of a two-way game from that trio.

Second, the Beauvillier-Lafferty-Hoglander line is becoming an important part of this team. Having a third-line that can forecheck and create offensive zone time can be the difference in a tight match-up game. Beauvillier in particular has been playing better the last few games and seems a bit snake bitten.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Soucy was the one who cleared it up the boards and the forwards had blown the zone. Then it was a great shot by Sissons. Myers was actually on for both goals against but wasn’t really a factor in either.

The play Soucy attempted to clear it up the boards reflects the issue with that pair. Soucy would rather make a risky play like that rather than move the puck over to Myers to make the play. Myers doesn’t seem to have the trust of the team not to turn it over himself or put the team into trouble. That’s leading to bad decisions on other parts of the ice. It’s like a team that doesn’t trust their goaltender and overcompensates for it.

I think Soucy’s pairing would be much better if he had an effective puck mover alongside him rather than the 2023 version of Tyler Myers. That’s why I think they are waiting for Bear to get healthy.

Ideally I think they’d like to trade Garland to find that puck mover or make that cap space to sign Bear. But if that proves difficult—I wouldn’t put it past the Canucks waiving Myers to save $1m in cap space, or trading him to SJ for Labanc (just to bury Labanc) and save $2m.

Reactions: bh53 and Indiana

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
What stands out to me is the bottom-six:

First, how little offense the Joshua-Suter-Garland line is producing. They aren’t bleeding shots against—but you would hope for more of a two-way game from that trio.

Second, the Beauvillier-Lafferty-Hoglander line is becoming an important part of this team. Having a third-line that can forecheck and create offensive zone time can be the difference in a tight match-up game. Beauvillier in particular has been playing better the last few games and seems a bit snake bitten.

I'm hoping Blueger comes back soon and stabilizes the bottom 6. When he's back I would like to see

Beauvillier/Joshua - Suter - Garland
Hoglander - Blueger - Lafferty

Rotate in either Joshua or Beauvillier depending on who's playing well. Without Joshua that 3rd line is pretty small but not sure who else could slot in. Aman or Podz call up maybe?

Reactions: kylek023 and arttk

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
6 games to get 8 points this year
11 games to get 8 points last year

Trending in the right direction. Standard seems higher and the d zone breakout is much improved. Much less cycling back into our own end.

Need to move Myers (addition by subtraction)

Beauviller, Joshua and Suter need to get going or be moved. Need Blueger in there

Hogs can not be taken out of the lineup again

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It’s still early days in the season,but one thing that stuck out for me in last night’s game was the Canucks passing.

Quick tape to tape accurate passes,and cross ice airborne passes that we’re hitting their mark ..Some creative stuff from their skill players.

Hopefully they can keep up this pace.

Reactions: Indiana

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
The play Soucy attempted to clear it up the boards reflects the issue with that pair. Soucy would rather make a risky play like that rather than move the puck over to Myers to make the play. Myers doesn’t seem to have the trust of the team not to turn it over himself or put the team into trouble. That’s leading to bad decisions on other parts of the ice. It’s like a team that doesn’t trust their goaltender and overcompensates for it.

I think Soucy’s pairing would be much better if he had an effective puck mover alongside him rather than the 2023 version of Tyler Myers. That’s why I think they are waiting for Bear to get healthy.

Ideally I think they’d like to trade Garland to find that puck mover or make that cap space to sign Bear. But if that proves difficult—I wouldn’t put it past the Canucks waiving Myers to save $1m in cap space, or trading him to SJ for Labanc (just to bury Labanc) and save $2m.
You don't really save any cap space by waiving Myers, unless you play a man short. If you replace him with someone else, all you save is $375K, assuming that player is making league minimum.

This savings is calculated as league minimum plus $375,000. If a player is claimed on waivers, then the claiming team is responsible for the rest of their contract.

Not sure what happens if he is waived and is claimed by a team on his 10 team no trade list?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Really good road win. Nashville isn't very good but anytime you can go into another building and play that well you have to be impressed.

Hughes continues to do his thing. Not sure what to make of Hronek at this point - I thought he was solid. But.. lots of guys have been solid in that role next to Hughes and with the level that Hughes is at right now that's probably even easier than ever. I will say that in a perfect world you just leave this pairing together because they're a good enough fit and should develop chemistry.

Soucy had the bad giveaway but as I mentioned at the time he was in a tough spot with no forwards anywhere in site. I think overall he's been as advertised as a #5 guy who plays tough and is solid on the PK. I know Myers was out there for a couple of goals but I didn't really notice him overall. That's a good thing.

Cole with a better game and I'm going to give him a longer leash here but lets just say I have my concerns about how good he is. We'll see. Friedman is what he is - battles hard but undersized and doesn't always end up the right place in the defensive zone. He probably brings about 90% of what Burroughs did last year for slightly less money.

I don't have much to say about the top six forwards. Just playing very well in general right now.

Loved the work from Beau/Lafferty/Hoglander last night. I've been pretty critical of Hoglander the last season or so but this was his best game in a long time. He got his points early this year but I thought he was a bit of a ghost outside of the points so I was fine with the scratch. Different player last night. Worked hard and battled. Lafferty will make a bad mistake or two a night (giveaway, bad penalty, etc) and he had another brutal one last night but he's basically exactly what you want in a 4th liner. Beau was fine as well.

Saved the worst for last - that Joshua/Suter/Garland line is just not happening. Too bad as Joshua/Aman/Garland was good down the stretch last year, so it makes you wonder what the problem is here. Or conversely, makes it very obvious who the problem is here. Not going to freak out on Suter just yet but giving him term at a decent rate is looking like a mistake for a role that they could have easily plugged Aman into and gotten similar/better results.

I will say that Garland did some good things in the 3rd period, though I'm not sure it was with Joshua/Suter. In general, Garland just isn't accomplishing much out there. We are reaching the point where having him in the lineup might make a trade more difficult as 30% retention won't be enough. I would be fascinated what kind of offers we've gotten on this player in the last 18 months but I'm sure this management group is trying to be patient but those offers are just getting worse-and-worse. I thought people were too critical of Joshua at times last year as some wanted him punching faces 50 times a year but it's fair to criticize him so far this year. Will need to play better to stay in the lineup when Blueger is back.

4 and 2, good spot to be in through 6 games.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Not much to complain about with that game. Good start to the season despite some obvious hiccups for a few of the games.

Myers settled down a bit compared to previous games, of course his ice time was also limited.

Mik really helps Petey and Kuz. Completely different line.

Hogs had a good game last night. Really worked hard and drove play in the offensive zone with effective forechecking by being a general pest.

Time to light up Binnington....

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad