Post-Game Talk: [GM43] Canucks defeat Sabres | 1-0 (Lafferty) | Snatcher Demko

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
You knew that on at least game in this exhaustive trip, the Canucks would goaltender would have to steal one, and Demko was in a zone today. That, and some fortuitous goalposts.

The best thing about this game, besides the shutout win, is that the Canucks appear to have gotten out of the game unscathed. After Dahlin was hit by Miller, the Sabres were targeting Quinn Hughes all night long.

The Canucks suffocating defensive system frustrated the Sabres and sucked a lot of the energy out of the building. But it was just what the doctor ordered.....another boring road win.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Honestly wouldn't mind the Canucks being stuck in Buffalo for a few days and the Columbus game being postponed. Team deserves a rest.

There's zero chance they postpone the Columbus game. That just doesn't happen in the NHL.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
There’s a lot of talent on this team, but man, Toc has been absolutely brilliant in how he has handled these guys. Frontrunner for the Jack Adams for sure.

Reactions: Indiana

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
Man, the Sabres announcers after the game said this was one of their best games of the season. If, in your best effort, you manage like 4 5 on 5 shots after the 1st, and that's your best effort, that's just sad. The only thing more sad than that was how bad the announcers were all game - just abysmal, whiny, and the worst part is they weren't even entertaining. But I digress, onto the Canucks.

Liked how the team responded to a chippy game. Kept their composure, didn't go out of their way to be physical, and kept everything inside the run of play. I know people wanted Soucy and Zadorov to go bananas at some point in the second, but I think both did a great job of being physical when the moment allowed them to. Buffalo on the other hand went a little wild and were clearly thrown off trying to get back for the Dahlin hit, which killed their chances of getting back into the game.

This team is showing they aren't soft, and that trying to get rough with them will not throw them off their game, which is great to see given how big the Kings and Knights are. Demko was great, the defensive zone coverage was again on point, and they squeezed out just enough offense to pull through. Nice to see them win this kind of game as we know other teams can't contend with us when it goes into an all out back and forth offensive game.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
So proud of the way the team locked things down and ground out a win. Most of the team stepped up, and Miller was a f***ing beauty as well.

Demko has been kind of up and down for the last few weeks, but he was all world today, well deserved shutout. Unreal road trip so far.

I was gonna be happy if we went something like 3-3-1, and now we can potentially go 6-1? We need to jettison some of the dead weight on the team (Mik and Kuz come to mind, I hope, but don't expect them to bounce back though), try and bolster our top 6 forward group and we might do some serious damage in the post-season.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Sabres were more concerned about trying to injure Hughes than winning the game. Canucks stayed composed and didn't give the Sabres much in the 3rd. Solid road win. Onto Columbus to try and make it a 6-1 road trip.

Reactions: Indiana

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
D was solid. All six of them.
Got to give Foote and Gonchar and Tocchet kudos along with management.
The D had essentially been completely remade in one season with the only hold outs being Hughes and Myers.
I’m mostly shocked at how just well Myers is playing. Amazing what structure can do for even a chaos player.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
See people suggesting they should get stuck in Buffalo and the Columbus game be postponed. Not the worst idea but there are sure better places to be stuck in than Buffalo.

Obviously Demko was the story. Yet got to give credit for some excellent forechecking by a lot of players that played defense by keeping Sabers tied up in their zone.

Good

Hoglander - improving - was a tiger deep in the Buffalo end and created chances. . Whole line was good and nice to see Aman is fitting in better. Aman helps team speed and would be great if he could start putting away chances. Was in the AHL and hopefully, given time, can begin to chip in here. Believe ther is up side with this player.

Garland - an automatic in the good category. Biggest secret to fans elsewhere who only consider the stats. Joshua played well but he should have put away some of the chances Garland was providing.

Soucy - just keeps his end tidy. No wasted motion - just slips his stick in at the right time to break up plays and then moves it right up to the forwards. Face taking a beating on this road trip

Hronek - thought he was the Canucks best player outside of Demko. Coverage iin his end was back to how it looked earlier in the year -outstanding. Also pressed the play up ice and still able to cover back throughout the game. Extremely mobile player.

Demko - did great job of absorbing the shot and not give up rebounds. Not so down as he was on parts of the trip and made himself big.

Suter - I'd say he is carrying his line although Mikeyev and Kuzmenko were again better. Would be great if they could start to score some.

Others

Hughes - game has fallen off some. Needs to be better on the PP and some of his coverage in his end was not up to usual standard. Example was late in the game where he started puck watching and left his check open in the slot. Hughes is never bad and contributed but there are more lapses lately. (puck bouncing over his stick, not pulling away from forecheck as fast, giving up inside position around his net, etc)

Zadorov - times where you want tosee him play with a little more intensity. Sometimes he makes an error but then amps up his game and quickly recovers and gets the puck back. You wonder how good he would be if he played like that all the time and pressed the play more.

See a lot of Canucks going to the all star game. Thought this would happend but I was hoping they wouldn't so they good get a rest. They've done enough travelling.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
NHL will force the Canucks to forfeit and assess them a loss because that’s the Canucks’ lot in life.

Ottawa will lose a draft pick, too, somehow.

I'm enjoying that the "But [X]!" meme has gone outside our fanbase.

- But unsustainable!
- But PDO!
- But lucky!
- But refs!

Keep seething, heathens. As said before, in this house, Demko is Yahweh.

EDIT: Also, I'm still just enjoying this ride. Yeah, the Canucks are punching a bit above their weight, yeah, I'm expecting a bit of a course correction, but, since it hasn't happened yet, I'm just going to sit back and enjoy it.

Have fun fighting for a wild card spot, lmao.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad