Post-Game Talk: [GM39] Canucks defeat Devils | 6-4 (Pettersson(2), Miller(2), Garland, & Joshua) | By the Hair of Our Chinny-Chin-Chin

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
Kuz and Mik slumping too hard for Petey to carry them. Might be good for Kuz and Mik to play as a 3rd line for awhile.
I guess nobody expected Joshua, Garland and Bluegar to play like a 2nd line so that enables us to load up the big guns.

How did we time all the injuries like that
They do affect Petterson so let them work their way out of slump and let Pettersson play with Lotto line for a while on the trip. We need more goals and is the main reasson why PP is struggling due to them not playing on a regular basis.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Suck it, New Jersey. Seriously, that barn has been a nightmare to play in for over a decade, about damn time we won one.

Some games your goalie wins for you, some games you win for your goalie. Tonight was one of those games. One of the best efforts our skaters have put forth, but Demko was shaky as hell all throughout. He’s had a rough month and a bit. Whether he’s nursing something or he needs time with Clark, I hope they figure it out.

Lotto Line paid some immediate dividends. And for goodness sake, let’s leave Kuzmenko in. He didn’t score but he was generating chances all over the place.

Third line keeps buzzing, even if Joshua had a brain dead moment on that late penalty - but he made up for it with a great effort on the insurance goal. Garland is finally starting to find the net which is fantastic to see. That goal was enormous.

Noah Juulsen is kind of blowing my mind. Kudos to the Canucks coaching and management for seeing something in him and deciding to work with it - he looks so, so steady out there right now. Totally different player than we saw at the start of the year.

Hopefully Zadorov isn’t out long. I know it won’t happen, but I wouldn’t mind Myers taking a seat.

Nice to see Quinn finally get one over on his brothers (brother*). And three assists to do it, nice.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Kuz and Mik slumping too hard for Petey to carry them. Might be good for Kuz and Mik to play as a 3rd line for awhile.
I guess nobody expected Joshua, Garland and Bluegar to play like a 2nd line so that enables us to load up the big guns.

How did we time all the injuries like that
I agree. Personally, if we're putting all our eggs in one basket, I would even go a bit further and try to build a competent third line behind the top two, and forget about coddling Kuzmenko/Mikheyev (it's gone on for too long to keep waiting and hoping, IMO):

Pettersson - Miller - Boeser
Joshua - Blueger - Garland
Hoglander - Suter - Lafferty
Mikheyev - Aman - Kuzmenko

That's basically giving up on Kuzmenko for the time being and that 4th line is almost unplayable if they keep going the way they're going (I'd have been more comfortable with Studnicka between them, but that's out of the picture now), but I think it's a top 9 that can possibly work.

Edit: Just watched the game. Kuzmenko wasn't as hopeless as he's been, but I'd still like to go with some reliable chemistry/stability.

Last edited:

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Just a short time ago, our team strength was the wing position. Now it's our weakness. We need a top 6 winger. They are suppose to be relatively cheap to come by.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Demko wasn't at his best, but I couldn't care less. The boys were determined to win and f*** yes, they did.

NJ is lucky we didn't run away with this game. Miller f***ing rules, that pass to Joshua with the EN..... chef's kiss.

I'm not sure I've ever been happier and... wronger....(?) about a player than Miller.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Canucks played a very good game but sub-par goal-tending ended up making it close. Anyone who has played or coached hockey knows the feeling. You're all over the other team but they are getting some saves. Then they come down and your goalie lets in an easy one. And then it happens again. Very hard to keep your head in the game or maintain the momentum you've created. This game should not have been such a nail biter.

Good

Garland - huge goal at the end of the second and a force carrying his line. Having a super season though no one outside of Vancouver would know this.

Pettersson - had some help with the reunion of the Lotto line and showed his talent. Can see more clearly how bogged down he is by his usual line mates. To produce offense, Canucks probably have to stick with this group. They were sensational at times.

Miller - huge +5. Could have been the goat if the ref calls the obvious trip and sometimes you wonder what he's thinking. However, some good two way play. Seemed like Tocchet wanted to rest Miller and the rest of the line in the third but, in the end, they were needed.

Boeser - good complementary player on the line. In good company can produce - just don't expect him to do much on his own

Joshua - bone headed penalty late which might have undone the good things he did in this game. Has firmly established himself as NHL player

Hughes - still think he shoots too much when better options are avialable but hard to argue against results. Got three assists but should have had more if some players were a little better on open chances he created. Would say his youngest brother looks like he is going to be a big time NHL star.

Hoglander - was very good along the end boards and throughout the first half of the game and allowed his line to dominate. Did enough to earn some points but much of his work was butchered by others

Cole - strong late in the game. Did some good work on the late PK

Not good

Demko - at this level you have to stop open shots from the blue line. Lost his angle at times and late coming across the crease since he was not tracking the movement of the puck well. Sometimes, as the pass was being made side to side by the defense or moved back to the point he was very slow in setting up and he ended up shifting as the shot was being made meaning he wasn't able to adjust to shots. Maybe teams are getting a book on him. As an NHL goalie you've got to attack the shot and not let the shot play you. Demko has not looked that good coming out of the break

MIkheyev - point coverage was poor and he is getting nothing done offensively. Had chances but horribly muffed them. Couple of his late shifts were decent but he was mostly baggage.

Others

Juulsen - again looked good on the PK and got the puck up from the back. Zadorov situation is a perplexing one one but Juulsen is earning his time. (not sure why Zadorov was out) Cap wise, Juulsen development is a pleasant surprise.

Myers - don't think he was necessarily bad but Soucy had to do a lot of bailing out at times. Soucy, given it was his first game back, looked solid. You wonder if Myers could become trade bait but you also have to be concerned about defensive depth.

Suter - overall mediocre and bad night on the face offs.

Kuzmenko - brought what he could and did get some chances but becoming more obvious that he simply isn't suited to the style Tocchet wants. Hard to see him scoring much given his present position in the lineup.

Important win and the team did take advantage of the situation presented - Hughes out and NJD coming off a tough game. Overall a good bounce back game for the Canucks

Would also say that the Canuck color announcing is painful. The guy doesn't have a voice for this. Just some background musing that is difficult to hear and only repeating things they we can all see for ourselves. I doubt anyone listens to him. Worst part is that he doesn't want to say anything negative. Aman gets the stick snatched out of his hand and somehow is penalized and he says you can get your stick in like that, Demko openly misses a shot and he says something about it being a great shot. I'd say just be honest and tell it like it is. (often the camera men is more insightful in how they concentrate on players after a play or a goal) Every top annoucer doesn't shy away from criticism although they do it in a very balanced way. Ferraro is an example of an annoucer who can do this and I can't wait till he becomes permanent.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
i think every canuck was ok to good tonight except for aman and demko

aman lost his guy on two goals against, but 3 of the 4 goals were from point shots without much traffic in front. he made a lot of good saves from in close though. iirc the last guy who had that problem was ryan miller.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Canucks played a very good game but sub-par goal-tending ended up making it close. Anyone who has played or coached hockey knows the feeling. You're all over the other team but they are getting some saves. Then they come down and your goalie lets in an easy one. And then it happens again. Very hard to keep your head in the game or maintain the momentum you've created. This game should not have been such a nail biter.

Good

Garland - huge goal at the end of the second and a force carrying his line. Having a super season though no one outside of Vancouver would know this.

Pettersson - had some help with the reunion of the Lotto line and showed his talent. Can see more clearly how bogged down he is by his usual line mates. To produce offense, Canucks probably have to stick with this group. They were sensational at times.

Miller - huge +5. Could have been the goat if the ref calls the obvious trip and sometimes you wonder what he's thinking. However, some good two way play. Seemed like Tocchet wanted to rest Miller and the rest of the line in the third but, in the end, they were needed.

Boeser - good complementary player on the line. In good company can produce - just don't expect him to do much on his own

Joshua - bone headed penalty late which might have undone the good things he did in this game. Has firmly established himself as NHL player

Hughes - still think he shoots too much when better options are avialable but hard to argue against results. Got three assists but should have had more if some players were a little better on open chances he created. Would say his youngest brother looks like he is going to be a big time NHL star.

Hoglander - was very good along the end boards and throughout the first half of the game and allowed his line to dominate. Did enough to earn some points but much of his work was butchered by others

Cole - strong late in the game. Did some good work on the late PK

Not good

Demko - at this level you have to stop open shots from the blue line. Lost his angle at times and late coming across the crease since he was not tracking the movement of the puck well. Sometimes, as the pass was being made side to side by the defense or moved back to the point he was very slow in setting up and he ended up shifting as the shot was being made meaning he wasn't able to adjust to shots. Maybe teams are getting a book on him. As an NHL goalie you've got to attack the shot and not let the shot play you. Demko has not looked that good coming out of the break

MIkheyev - point coverage was poor and he is getting nothing done offensively. Had chances but horribly muffed them. Couple of his late shifts were decent but he was mostly baggage.

Others

Juulsen - again looked good on the PK and got the puck up from the back. Zadorov situation is a perplexing one one but Juulsen is earning his time. (not sure why Zadorov was out) Cap wise, Juulsen development is a pleasant surprise.

Myers - don't think he was necessarily bad but Soucy had to do a lot of bailing out at times. Soucy, given it was his first game back, looked solid. You wonder if Myers could become trade bait but you also have to be concerned about defensive depth.

Suter - overall mediocre and bad night on the face offs.

Kuzmenko - brought what he could and did get some chances but becoming more obvious that he simply isn't suited to the style Tocchet wants. Hard to see him scoring much given his present position in the lineup.

Important win and the team did take advantage of the situation presented - Hughes out and NJD coming off a tough game. Overall a good bounce back game for the Canucks

Would also say that the Canuck color announcing is painful. The guy doesn't have a voice for this. Just some background musing that is difficult to hear and only repeating things they we can all see for ourselves. I doubt anyone listens to him. Worst part is that he doesn't want to say anything negative. Aman gets the stick snatched out of his hand and somehow is penalized and he says you can get your stick in like that, Demko openly misses a shot and he says something about it being a great shot. I'd say just be honest and tell it like it is. (often the camera men is more insightful in how they concentrate on players after a play or a goal) Every top annoucer doesn't shy away from criticism although they do it in a very balanced way. Ferraro is an example of an annoucer who can do this and I can't wait till he becomes permanent.

I'd throw Myers out and let Soucy pair up with Zad without second thought.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Didn’t watch the whole game but Kuzmenko led the team with 6 shots in less than 15 minutes of ice time. Seems like he’s still getting his chances so I’d keep playing him up the lineup as long as he’s playing decent defensively as well.
Zero points, -1 compared to Miller (3 points +5) and Petey (3 points +4). Nope.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
This was one of those games where the team was absolutely pouring it on the Devils - was really surprised to come out of the first tied. Lotto line paid immediate dividends, and really highlighted how much Petey has had to carry his linemates at ES this season. Showed how much we need another top 6 forward who can carry the play.

However, there were some real boneheaded, blown dzone coverages throughout, particularly from Suter and Aman's line. This was one of those games the stats guys love, but watching live you were constantly shaking your head at some of the line changes/bad reads going on. Very Oilers-esque where they dominate possession but the dzone play is so bad you're not surprised that the few chances the other team gets ends up in the back of the net.

Demko has been on/off for the last little bit. At this point, it might just be who he is. When he's fully on like we saw at the beginning of the season, you have a Vezina candidate/top 3 goalie in the world. Then he plays like he did tonight, and you shake your head.

That being said, this seems like a league wide thing - its a bit mind blowing how many teams are having goaltending issues. Even with these inconsistencies we have the third best save percentage in the league, which is wild to me.

Finally get to see the team live at the next one - first game at MSG since moving to NY & the first time my wife is going to a hockey game live. Did not think at the start of the year it would be two teams at the top of the standings going at it - can't wait!

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
Zero points, -1 compared to Miller (3 points +5) and Petey (3 points +4). Nope.
Just clarifying - You're comparing Kuzmenko's stat line playing with a couple of plugs, while still managing to generate offence, vs Miller, and Pettersson, who are playing together along with Boeser, all of whom are at the top of the league in points?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad