GDT: GM33: Chucky vs the Aisles - 7:38EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Enough is enough! At what point do we start to question the rookie coaching are sacrificing too much offense to play team defense? $8 million dollar Kuzy is just wasting away doing nothing! His attitude stinks, but it's pretty obvious he doesn't buy into the coaches system to create offense.

If BMac/Coaches can't understand the Hockey Gods are sending the Caps a serious message by the fact our best goalie and arguably one of our better d-man both went down to injury early and could be out of action for quite some time, then some butts need to be kicked out the door!

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
Enough is enough! At what point do we start to question the rookie coaching are sacrificing too much offense to play team defense? $8 million dollar Kuzy is just wasting away doing nothing! His attitude stinks, but it's pretty obvious he doesn't buy into the coaches system to create offense.

If BMac/Coaches can't understand the Hockey Gods are sending the Caps a serious message by the fact our best goalie and arguably one of our better d-man both went down to injury early and could be out of action for quite some time, then some butts need to be kicked out the door!
They are creating some chances but no one on this team can finish. I don’t see anyone being hamstrung by their system.

On the topic of Kuzy…..he has earned nothing. He shouldn’t be in the line-up…all things being equal.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I never in my right mind would have thunk the Islander would be a better offensive team than the Caps, yet here we are now!

They are creating some chances but no one on this team can finish. I don’t see anyone being hamstrung by their system.

On the topic of Kuzy…..he has earned nothing. He shouldn’t be in the line-up…all things being equal.
Agreed, but if you scratch Kuzy again, then his trade value with drop significantly more like a bad day in the stock market!

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
If I was the coach, I would have Herb Brooks this teams butts with suicide skates after the final buzzer tonight! The Zamboni drivers could have taken a long coffee break!

*Whistle* 1 line and back, 2nd line and back, 3rd line and back, 4th line and back, 5th line and back. *Whistle* Again!...

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
If I was the coach, I would have Herb Brooks this teams butts with suicide skates after the final buzzer tonight! The Zamboni drivers could have taken a long coffee break!

*Whistle* 1 line and back, 2nd line and back, 3rd line and back, 4th line and back, 5th line and back. *Whistle* Again!...
You do realize the NHLPA wouldn't allow something like this, right? lol

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
The system works, but the whole roster has to believe in it! We saw/seen a glimpse when the back end generates offense, they either score or open up shooting lanes for the forwards. This team still doesn't want to work hard enough to score goals! And a finger can almost be pointed at everyone, even OV, because there is laziness, lack of work ethics, lack of will, to want to score goals.

Message to Kuemper, "Stop listening to that idi0t charlatan of a goalie coach, and start going back to your goaltending roots of how you worked so hard playing well for the lousy Coyotes and was rewarded winning a Cup with the Avs!"

You do realize the NHLPA wouldn't allow something like this, right? lol
Of course! I suck at posting memes and such, so I did it like this.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

The reason they are not finishing well is because Carbs requires his roster to burn carbs as 5 man units in all 3 zones! If the players would believe in the system and keep pace, then they would finish some chances. If players are not buying the system(Kuzy is a prime example) then they should go to another team! I still like Carbs approach, but I can't stand players slacking off when you know how much better they can play and produce!

Okay, I'm gonna chug down a Coors Beer or 2 and try to calm down...

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
The last 2 games have been disheartening. For whatever reason, this team absolutely implodes in 2nd periods this season. Just like against the Rangers, they had a solid 1st period. DK came in and actually played pretty well initially under tough circumstances until the Isles scored. The team in front of him quit trying after that. It doesn't matter how good your defense and goaltending is if you can't score more than 1 goal!

I'm not ready to throw in the towel on the playoffs yet, but this stretch of division games is basically our season and it's not looking too good.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
juuse-no-goals-saros-v0-sj3h05irwvtb1.jpg
media
I think the most questionable aspect of the staff's decisions may be their overuse of Carlson and how that has muted his offensive effectiveness and burst. He's 12 seconds per off from being the most played player in the league (currently third) and does not have the stamina for that at this stage. It also has arguably played into why the PP hasn't been all that good.

Maybe they can survive with this style but...it definitely isn't sustainable. Without ace goaltending I think we know where this is headed.

Reactions: ClevelandCapsfan

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Is that (Carlson's TOI) really on staff though?

I don't think so. To me it's been going on mostly because Jensen early on and Sandin have been huge disappointments. If your #2 and #3 fail and #4-6 aren't good enough to compensate (esp offensively), it doesn't really leave much choice but to ride the #1 and hope someone steps up to ease the burden.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Is that (Carlson's TOI) really on staff though?

I don't think so. To me it's been going on mostly because Jensen early on and Sandin have been huge disappointments. If your #2 and #3 fail and #4-6 aren't good enough to compensate (esp offensively), it doesn't really leave much choice but to ride the #1 and hope someone steps up to ease the burden.

Its just team tactics. Dmen in general arent creating offence, because we are prioritizing defence over offence. I dont believe all our dman just suddenly forget how to generate offence.

I disagree with SherVaughn30 though, its not ”enough is enough”. Carberys gameplan has worked, we have been winning games and overachieving this season. We were supposed to contend for Celebrini, not for a playoff spot.

Couple stinkers after christmas holidays. We need better performance from Kuemper especially. Too many ”maybe could have should have saved” goals for the two NY games, when our game is all about winning 2-1. Im not overly worried yet, the style of play can be a bit exhausting. A win, or maybe couple new faces in the lineup could burst some much needed energy again to get us going. Im pretty confident Islanders and Flyers will hit some walls at some point of the season too..

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Jensen has been better for a while now and Sandin's play doesn't impact things much. The other two RD should both play a couple minutes more per and maybe that allows Carlson to be fresher and more effective up the ice. Hard to believe they can get any less impactful from the back-end the way they've been utilized. IINM they're still the lowest scoring blueline league-wide. While the forwards play their own part in that they've got to reconsider some things to improve. Bear I suppose could help a bit if he's fresh but dialing back Carlson's minutes and tweaking his role stands out most IMO in somehow trying to improve in that area. Sandin's lack of production also makes me wonder about their transitional/positional cohesion and focus. I can't say Mitch Love has done wonders thus far.

Again, a lot is on the forwards and sort of their overall style but they've got to find more ways of generating quality chances. Too often it seems like they rely on transition. With sustained pressure it's often too perimeter, in part because they lack suddenness to do anything east/west. It's also why during 3v3 they can hardly ever turn the corner on anyone. While we can just chalk that up to lack of explosiveness/athleticism at some point it's also got to be about focus, decisiveness and attention to detail. Not being able to manipulate pace whatsoever is ultimately also about a lack of IQ in grasping how to better break defenders down. They do some things like area passes and the like but as the grind of the season continues it's an awfully thin recipe. The top six is often in shambles. Overall there's got to be more of a focus on creating more wrinkles offensively or else it's going to continue to dry up.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
They win games on a coin flip and get blown out in losses. This is what happens when you’re deficient on talent and you need to be damn near perfect every game in terms of structure, goal tending, and execution. They have no margin for error and they don’t have another gear offensively to find when they let in a bad goal or find themselves down by more than a goal.

It’s tough to expect your goalies to give up one or fewer goals every night which essentially is the water mark for them in terms of winning or losing.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection

that. was. rough.
Had to watch a series of Conan O'Brien clips after the game to wash that out of my system

Team has avoided bad stretches for most of the season since the 1st 5gms, hope they dig out v NSH

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
OP jinxed this game. Should be fired into the sun quicker than a meth-crazed Icarus.

When the only line that can score is your 4th, time to try something new.

Recency bias: But team appears to have lost some fight after Oshie got hurt...again.

Bring up Shepard, he will guide us!

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Honestly, if just Ovi hadn't hit the wall this year they'd probably be contending for the division. Seeing the core all train wreck at about the same time was a little tougher then I thought, even knowing it was coming.

I think the team is well coached, I think their intent night in and night out is actually really good and a breath of fresh air, and they've got the right depth up and down the lineup for a contending team. Maybe they're missing one top 6 forward to round everything out, but that leads me into my next and sadder point; they just don't have the Core horses to be good enough anymore. Ovi has finally seemed to hit the wall, and it doesn't seem his goal scoring touch has aged as gracefully as we thought it would. Backstrom's done, Oshie's probably right behind him, Kuznetsov quit playing hockey 3 years ago at this point, and their basically only "good" core piece has seemingly lost his offensive ability in Carlson.

I think the only real glaring hole of GMBM's own making is his "starting goaltender" seems worse then even Holtby was at the end of his run. But flip-side, his backup has looked like young Holtby for stretches both of these last two years.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad