Post-Game Talk: [GM32] Canucks defeat Blackhawks | 4-3 (Pettersson, Joshua, Boeser, Mikheyev) | Afternoon Delight

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Canucks were 1/4 on PP and 2/4 on the PK
Blueger 9-6 in the faceoff circle. Miller 7-9 and Petterson 6-4.

I'm glad Tochett has figured out that Joshua and Garland work as players. Sticking them on their own line makes it an energy and Joshua gives Garland room with his size, Joshua is turning into a goal scoring defection machine. Maybe put Hogs on that line but that might overdue it - too much of one thing.

Last edited:

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
You know what I don't like: It is just after 2 pm on a Sunday, but we don't have a Canucks game to watch tonight.

It feels kind of like after lunch on Christmas day when we were kids: "It's over- that's it!"

3 out of 4 points from weekend matinee games and somehow I feel let down that there is not a game to look forward to later today.

Oh well, I will just have to sneak a peek later at the NHL standings 21 - 9 - 2 Wow

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
It’s a nice little hit of dopamine when I check my alerts and see a Canucks PGT with Canucks defeat…. in the list.
IMG_3578.jpeg

ps. Thanks everyone for providing info on aspects of the game.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
D3mko this afternoon vs DeSm1th yesterday.
thoughts?
Demko had the harder game surprisingly, but gave up a bad rebound leading to a goal and got beat cleanly that he shouldve had on another. The other was a team mistake on a PK with a wide open player. DeSmith played great and had no chance on his goal against since it was a perfect tip. Both good goalies. Demko is more by the book but prone to rebounds and can lose track at a distance and PK. Desmith is less ordinary, scrambly but more aggressive in the crease after rebounds

Reactions: bh53 and LuckyDay

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Rick would rather elevate Suter and lose out on a C depth than raise Kuze back to the top 6 :laugh:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Neither yesterday's game against the Wild nor this one this afternoon against the Hawks were 'oil paintings'.....but the key thing in a grueling schedule is to get points no matter how you do it.

As other posters have pointed out, the Canucks have played more games than almost anyone in the league--and it's taking a toll, particularly on their best players. Although Pettersson and Miller both posted two point games--it looks to me like they're struggling to get there right now.

A lighter schedule in the New Year will set them up nicely for the playoff run. And if they keep getting consistent production from the bottom of their roster, they'll be tough to beat.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
for a team that doesn't play afternoon games. I mean, the Canucks at most on a Saturday for the Leafs @ 4pm or on Sunday late afternoon at say 5pm, pretty much all night games at 7pm. Most road games are the same, so back to back in the afternoon, a big change for teams not used to it.

3/4 and they move on. More interested in how they do vs Nash and Dal.

They will fly out to nash tonight so will be well rested for that game. Some points in the season, you just try to manage and get by.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Rick would rather elevate Suter and lose out on a C depth than raise Kuze back to the top 6 :laugh:
I'm not sure they're related. Suter needs ice time to get back in the game that he's been out of for awhile. He's not playing, or going to 100% for a few games.

After Kuz's goal yesterday, he played a lot of ice time and may be bagged. But chances are he didn't keep up the Defense that Tochett expects and is being called out for it - much the way Canucks fans catch every little thing that Myers does wrong.

Concern re: afternoon games has only been a thing since that one Luongo game. Before, I'm not aware anyone noticed before, but people loved them as you could take your kids to the game - or let them watch Zadarov punch Reese Johnson and him take a dive so it will end quicker.

Reactions: Zippgunn

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Some terrible calls against the Canucks - very one-sided reffing - good old game management. Why this remains the worst officiated major sport. Really didn't think Bedard was that good.

Good

Zadorov - hope he is ok. Might have hurt is hand. Been our best defenseman over the last set of games. Just can't believe with got him at the cost.

Hronek - carried Hughes again. Hughes is having bad time of handling people in front of tne net. Thought he skated better than he has over the last couple of weeks but play deep in his zone has fallen off.

Garland - one man forecheck machine. Consistently turning the game in the Canucks favor. Blueger, him and Joshua are good almost every shift - especially on the PK. I wonder sometimes why Garland is used more on the PK.

Myers - another strong game. Some people who think Myers can't play at this level are simply wrong. Having a good season and people need to get off his back. Yet the next mistake he makes (like others don't) will probably lead to another round of pointing out he has long neck and ridiculing him. It's dense.

Others

Pettersson - can't believe how weak he is on his skates. Going down even when he is not hit and just diving about trying to knock pucks away from people. Didn't like him out in the late going. Totally lost the faceoff and then failed twice to get puck out. In many ways that epitomized his overall play. Scored on the PP but otherwise was weak there as well. His contract moving ahead has become a quandry.

Juulsen - Not as strong in this game as he has over the last few. Fighting hard to stay at this level and sometimes he presses too much and gets jittery around his net.

Kuzmenko - mostly a no show. Trouble in back to backs suggest a conditioning issue. Appears he enjoyed Bali a little too much.

Hoglander - coach didn't seem to like him in this game and playing time was reduced. Pretty much off the Miller line. Found it strange since I thought he had some effective two way shifts.

Aman - another disapointing effort - just no offense there and I thought he looked the worst of the PK players.

One feature of the game was the way the playing time has been evened out. Suter is starting to chew up a lot of minutes.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Just looking at some stats: simple ones.

Did y'all know we have scored 120 goals this season. The second most goals scored by a team this year is 107. Yes, we have played more games but 13 more goals than any other team in the league. THAT is bat shit crazy.

Also, what a weird schedule when we have played more games than any other team in the league (32, along with 4 other teams). Ottawa has played 7 less games than us right now. More bat shit crazy stuff

There are only 5 teams who have given up less goals than us, and all of them have played between 1 and 5 less games than us.

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA
Sadly I feel like the writing is on the wall for Kuz. I hope Tocchet can find a way to be happy with Kuz, but I just have this feeling that it won't happen, and he'll be traded.

Personally, I hope this turns around.

Just looking at some stats: simple ones.

Did y'all know we have scored 120 goals this season. The second most goals scored by a team this year is 107. Yes, we have played more games but 13 more goals than any other team in the league. THAT is bat shit crazy.

Also, what a weird schedule when we have played more games than any other team in the league (32, along with 4 other teams). Ottawa has played 7 less games than us right now. More bat shit crazy stuff

There are only 5 teams who have given up less goals than us, and all of them have played between 1 and 5 less games than us.
Whale team..... good?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Eh. Alright game. They did just enough to beat a bad team. That's what you do in an 82 game schedule.

I guess you don't want to break up the Garland line, but Pettersson could use a proper top 6 winger. Garland is playing really well now, so maybe he would click with pettersson a lot better.

With the Garland line playing well and Suter back and able to center a 3rd line, I think it might be worth a look putting the Lotto line together for a spell to try to get Petey going 5v5

Reactions: Indiana

ProviesGhost

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver
Way more entertaining than that snoozefest yesterday
Ya, the league 3 on 3 revisionists have that game bookmarked as an example - f***ing minnesota can even ruin 3 on 3 LOL, they’re always *so* boring. Every iteration.

Very glad this team can (clearly) lose a period and still win. Bedard’s shot is so sneaky, but he’s got a ways to go still.

Reactions: calnuck

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
joshua garland blueger line is the defecto 1st line., creating chances scoring. hopefully garland scores 1 so he gets confident in firing the puck. such a meanuce on the forecheck. good on Big z for stepping up to petterson should not have been a game misconduct because both players argreed to drop the mitts.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Amazing how hot that Joshua/Blueger/Garland line has gotten. They’ll probably come back down to earth soon, but they’re pretty much carrying the forward group right now.

Nice to see Zadorov stick up for Petey. That Johnson guy was getting away with murder all game long.

3 out of 4 points to start the road trip is not bad. But our starts really need to start getting better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad