Post-Game Talk: [GM31] Canucks lose to Wild in SO| 1-2 (Blueger) | Acceptable

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Huh completely missed this was an early game, as usual ... an early game not worth watching apparently.

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
We are a work in progress, no doubt. I get that we have struggles with early games and different time zones. These are natural. But we have also developed a bit of a habit of coming out of the gates slow and having to relay on exceptional goaltending. This is something we need to resolve, as games get tougher and when the playoffs start (and we play better teams with more frequently) we will find ourselves in holes constantly. This team is learning to win, and defining itself. I think you can control some elements of that process but not all. One area you can control is being ready at game time for the games. Both teams started the game at the same time.
One team had to travel for a road game, the other one didn't. That makes a big difference.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I think they kind of shot themselves in the foot.

I have noticed a few times the last few games that shots are changed to a pass to Boeser, feeding him.

This game I identified at least 5 shooting opportunities through the first two periods that were deferred, instead there is a pass to Boeser. Like they tried too hard to get him a goal instead of shooting themselves. Especially on the PP.

Whether or not they score on any of those is moot now but one goal would have made a difference.

It was nice to see such a poor game not end up with 4+ goals against.

DeSmith stole a point IMO.

Lots of Canucks did not look good.

Reactions: Kreator and Indiana

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
I wonder if there is a stat to show whether these start times have an affect on a team and their performance.
There seems to be a league wide drop in performance. The flu running through teams maybe?

Yes the time shift does make a difference BUT these can be prepared for by slightly shifting daily habits before actually traveling OR just keeping to the same time schedule, what time teams travel.

It is always easier to go from east to west.

They need to adapt because this might happen in the playoffs.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
I think Gustavsson stole the game for them because Canucks PP did look dangerous at times. Minne was very undisciplined the whole game but gained confidence from their PK. Mind, if Boeser didn't fire a laser at the logo early on the game would be different. Even Ferraro mentioned it.

Minnesota had (obviously) played for the shootout in OT and they were completely prepared. DeSmith played well the whole game until the shootout where he stoodup against the first shot like it was 1985. Kuz was the only dangerous shooter having been 4 for 7 previously but he fumbled the puck and ran out of room.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Wouldn't mind seeing Kuze and Boeser switch spots on the PP. Or at least ring back the movement and have Boeser end up in the Ovie spot periodically. He scored from their earlier this season, and Kuze has had his success from close to the net.

1 point from this game was acceptable, all things considered.
O Fer 5 on the PP, unacceptable against a lower tier PK.

Too many cross ice pass attempts. Short passes, move, shoot, recover, repeat.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Wouldn't mind seeing Kuze and Boeser switch spots on the PP. Or at least ring back the movement and have Boeser end up in the Ovie spot periodically. He scored from their earlier this season, and Kuze has had his success from close to the net.

They did this yesterday while rotating several times. On one of the 2nd period PPs Kuz was in front of the net the whole time.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
1702855345097.gif

1702855381270.gif

1702855429745.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad