GM Thread (Mod warning OP)

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I think Travis Hamonic and his agent need to start talking to Winnipeg about signing a 2 year deal at a deep team friendly discount. Play a few years here, sell some merchandise, assess your skill in 2022 off season and continue playing based on the degree of regression. I'd love to see him continue to contribute for this team well into his mid 30's.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think Travis Hamonic and his agent need to start talking to Winnipeg about signing a 2 year deal at a deep team friendly discount. Play a few years here, sell some merchandise, assess your skill in 2022 off season and continue playing based on the degree of regression. I'd love to see him continue to contribute for this team well into his mid 30's.
One of the rumblings I've heard about Hamonic is his unwillingness to play hockey in a COVID environment. He declined playing in a bubble, probably the safest environment possible due to fears of COVID for his family. Once the NHL gets started again it is very unlikely whatever format they go with will be as safe as the COVID free bubble Hamonic just refused to play in. This leaves a great deal of uncertainty for any team looking to sign him.

Reactions: surixon and Jets 31

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
How about between Maurice and Chevy, we draft a player outside of the first round and successfully develop develop them into a top 6 F or top 4 Dman.

That'd be nice.

Ben Chiarot is our shining success at a #4 and we didn't draft him :eek:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
How about between Maurice and Chevy, we draft a player outside of the first round and successfully develop develop them into a top 6 F or top 4 Dman.

That'd be nice.

Ben Chiarot is our shining success at a #4 and we didn't draft him :eek:
Samberg looks to be such a player. And top 6 forwards are far from our biggest worry so why do we need to complain about not drafting one outside of the 1st round? And there are other ways to make a team. Chevy just converted a 3rd round pick into an early prime top 4 defenseman on a 4 year team friendly contract. That is worth a mid round pick to me.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

I think the Jets might be worried about getting damaged goods with Hamonic, and beyond Pionk there is no offense on the right side. Unless Niku has a bounce back year. In a normal year the Jets wouldn't be considering players like Stanley, Gawanke, or Chisholm for roster spots, but with an expanded roster, maybe they want to keep a player or two around the team, instead of at a lower level. Johnny Kovacevic is probably #5 on the depth chart on the right side to start the year. And Nelson Nogier was given a contract, which was odd if True North didn't expect there to be an AHL to start the season.

I think a Roslovic for Weegar trade will stay on the table as long as neither signs, but maybe it's with Stanley and Borgstrom swapping cities as well and getting new opportunities. To balance out the respective forward and defensive rosters.

I don't see how one year of having Hamonic as depth would hurt the Jets where they currently are. Pretty sure he'd sign for league minimum right now.

I'd like to see him here long term, but I don't know if he'll get the opportunity. This year seems as good as any.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I think the Jets might be worried about getting damaged goods with Hamonic, and beyond Pionk there is no offense on the right side. Unless Niku has a bounce back year. In a normal year the Jets wouldn't be considering players like Stanley, Gawanke, or Chisholm for roster spots, but with an expanded roster, maybe they want to keep a player or two around the team, instead of at a lower level. Johnny Kovacevic is probably #5 on the depth chart on the right side to start the year. And Nelson Nogier was given a contract, which was odd if True North didn't expect there to be an AHL to start the season.

I think a Roslovic for Weegar trade will stay on the table as long as neither signs, but maybe it's with Stanley and Borgstrom swapping cities as well and getting new opportunities. To balance out the respective forward and defensive rosters.

I don't see how one year of having Hamonic as depth would hurt the Jets where they currently are. Pretty sure he'd sign for league minimum right now.

I'd like to see him here long term, but I don't know if he'll get the opportunity. This year seems as good as any.

Stanley and Borgstrom are not equal there. We'd be getting the better value if it were Roslovic and Stanley for Borgstrom and Weegar, no question.

Plus I'm not sure Hamonic even plays until Covid is over, I'm sure he's had some offers but just isn't signing - or he's told GMs that he would not want to play with Covid still being an issue.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Stanley and Borgstrom are not equal there. We'd be getting the better value if it were Roslovic and Stanley for Borgstrom and Weegar, no question.

Plus I'm not sure Hamonic even plays until Covid is over, I'm sure he's had some offers but just isn't signing - or he's told GMs that he would not want to play with Covid still being an issue.

Roslovic has the better term, that's where I would be trying to leverage.

I could see the Covid crisis bringing several players with families into (semi) retirement.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
https://thehockeywriters.com/jets-positive-outlook-2020-21/

Hockey Writers rate the Jets offseason very well overall:

Draft A-

Trades B+

Contract Extenstions A

UFA Signings C+

Overall, very positive and offseason not yet done hopefully we add a LHD top 4 guy on a one year deal fairly cheap.

The only noteworthy addition was Perfetti. I give Chevy o credit for that pick. Cole was the obvious selection at #10 as the talent tier dropped off after. Only reason we got him was due to losing to the Flames, benefiting from a few other upsets in the play-ins. Outside of that the draft seemed pretty weak actually. We only had 4 picks and spent our 2nd rounder on a wing with bottom 6 upside. Those are dime a dozen.

The bar is so laughably low 10 offseasons in if he's getting praise for his work here.

Last edited:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
The only noteworthy addition was Perfetti. I give Chevy o credit for that pick. Cole was the obvious selection at #10 as the talent tier dropped off after. Only reason we got him was due to losing to the Flames, benefiting from a few other upsets in the play-ins. Outside of that the draft seemed pretty weak actually. We only had 4 picks and spent our 2nd rounder on a wing with bottom 6 upside. Those are dime a dozen.

The bar is so laughably low 10 offseasons in if he's getting praise for his work here.

With Chevy and the Jets record during his tenure he would have been out of work in any other Canadian market!

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg

No. He's getting praise because most fans and ownership groups can see the bigger picture and past the "hE HasSZNt WON ChamPIOONSHip"

Look at the team he's built.

A top 6 that's tops in the league. Legitimately the best goalie on Earth.

Does the defense need work? Yup. But in reality we're only 1 year away from him getting blindsided by Byfuglien. And NO, Trouba should not have been traded 2 years ago to "maximize value because he could see this coming." The team was in the WCF for God sakes.

Fair to below market value contracts for elite young talent in: Ehlers, Scheifele, Connor, Hellebuyck and Morrissey.

Does he have blindspots? Of course. All GMs do. I would argue his blind spot is Maurice.

If/when Chevy gets fired he instantaneously lands a GM job of his choice. 100%.

I'm not saying the guy deserves a lifetime job, but there's no way the guy deserves to be fired. That notion is laughable, really.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
No. He's getting praise because most fans and ownership groups can see the bigger picture and past the "hE HasSZNt WON ChamPIOONSHip"

Look at the team he's built.

A top 6 that's tops in the league. Legitimately the best goalie on Earth.

Does the defense need work? Yup. But in reality we're only 1 year away from him getting blindsided by Byfuglien. And NO, Trouba should not have been traded 2 years ago to "maximize value because he could see this coming." The team was in the WCF for God sakes.

Fair to below market value contracts for elite young talent in: Ehlers, Scheifele, Connor, Hellebuyck and Morrissey.

Does he have blindspots? Of course. All GMs do. I would argue his blind spot is Maurice.

If/when Chevy gets fired he instantaneously lands a GM job of his choice. 100%.

I'm not saying the guy deserves a lifetime job, but there's no way the guy deserves to be fired. That notion is laughable, really.

The Jets are currently tied for 5th least post-seasons wins during Chevy's tenure. Only 5 GMs have been with their team longer... all of them currently sit top 10 in playoff wins over the same time period, two have won Cups.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
The Jets are currently tied for 5th least post-seasons wins during Chevy's tenure. Only 5 GMs have been with their team longer... all of them currently sit top 10 in playoff wins over the same time period, two have won Cups.
Hard to count the first 3-4 years considering they weren’t exactly trying to compete.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Even I wouldn’t go this far. I think if they were not trying to compete the shouldn’t of pretended like they were and went full rebuild

They were trying to compete though. They just weren't succeeding for the first 3 years.

In hindsight - I think they misread what they had. The 2012 season was an evaluation season. I think they looked at that and thought that with the additions of Scheifele and Trouba they had a competitive team. It took until after the 2015 season to realize that that wouldn't be enough. They went on a youth movement rather than a full rebuild at that time. That led to the 2018 PO run, so it is a little hard to criticize.

Maybe if they had gone full rebuild after '15 we would have lost the '18 PO run but gained longer term competitiveness in exchange. Maybe, maybe not.

Maybe if they had gone full rebuild after the '12 season we would have been better off long term. That would have depended on how well they executed that rebuild. Buffalo is a good illustration for how easily one of those can fail, or 2 or 3 of them. There are other examples. There would have been no guarantees.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
They were trying to compete though. They just weren't succeeding for the first 3 years.

In hindsight - I think they misread what they had. The 2012 season was an evaluation season. I think they looked at that and thought that with the additions of Scheifele and Trouba they had a competitive team. It took until after the 2015 season to realize that that wouldn't be enough. They went on a youth movement rather than a full rebuild at that time. That led to the 2018 PO run, so it is a little hard to criticize.

Maybe if they had gone full rebuild after '15 we would have lost the '18 PO run but gained longer term competitiveness in exchange. Maybe, maybe not.

Maybe if they had gone full rebuild after the '12 season we would have been better off long term. That would have depended on how well they executed that rebuild. Buffalo is a good illustration for how easily one of those can fail, or 2 or 3 of them. There are other examples. There would have been no guarantees.
My thoughts on the first few seasons was that TNSE was trying to walk a line between drafting and developing into a contender and having a reasonable competitive team on the ice so fans enjoyed the hockey experience and start identifying with the players. They probably could have got away with a full on rebuild since there was such a fierce honeymoon feeling those first couple years and there is enough knowledgeable fans who would have understood the direction. This is balanced against the huge demand for tickets and fans so in love with having an NHL team to cheer and treating Jets games as a night out on the town spending 100's on food and drink before, during and after games. Many of these fans were not diehard hockey fans but those enjoying the experience of something new and novel. Those early years were really good for TNSE bottom line and for businesses in and around downtown. I don't think Chipman had an appetite at that time to put a damper on this by start selling off stars like Buff and Wheeler that fans were growing to love. At the same time Chevy was asked to patiently go about is business of drafting and putting the resources into player development.

Reactions: LaScheifers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad