News Article: GM Steve Staios looking for veteran help to assist the Senators' young core

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Maybe they also need a full-time sports psychologist. If they do add a veteran, better make sure he fills one of the gaping holes in this roster. Someone who plays the right way, is physical and a good passer. Being good in F/O circle wouldn't hurt either. Not sure any really good vet would want to come here unless we acquire via trade.
A sports psychologist could help; however, an improved coaching staff is difinitly required to teach the players we have how to play the game better at the NHL level.

Both individual play and team play are in need of improvement.

Back to fundamentals. Get the development staff and coaching staff on this ice to give players individual attention to identify their roles, how to play and work with them to address their weaknesses (e.g., back checking, line changes, body checking, reading the play, reacting to opponent's plays, stick lifts. shooting, one-timers, etc.).

Someone like Tortorella would be my choice for a new head coach.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Maybe getting a stay at home LD and a 200ft rd is the way to go?
that was Guy Boucher's system

Methot, karlsson... Cecci, Phaneuf.... Boro, Wideman...

It was brilliant, 3 of the centers were left handed. Making a pass from the right D, easy to receive.. all our right wingers were big.. So they could receive the pass from the centreman and drive in deep.

Once they lost the puck, the opposition was forced to their right, the Senators left and they ran into Boro, Methot or Phaneuf.

It lasted one year... Methot was lost to expansion. No one could replace him with Karlsson.. Phaneuf regressed.. Wideman regressed... The centers regressed.. Bobby Ryan collapsed... On left wing Hoffman and Karlsson (we will leave that alone)

But it was brilliant....

One giant issue though: Right handed D men are hard to find.... The vast majority of kids seem to preferer left hand down on their stick, so we are breeding a large portion of Left handed players.

The Sens simply need to reverse Guy Boucher's method.. easy solution...

get big bruising Left wingers, 3 of 4 centers be right handed.... 3 bruising RD and have 3 skilled puck moving LD... More problems... our 3 centers are all left handed... Damn, I thought that I had solved it.

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
I've been thinking about the same thing, What is the solution?

We definitely need a RD. That is pretty obvious. We've got ample LDs, but a hole at a top 4 RD. They probably need to figure out the strategy with Chychrun and his next contract if that's the direction they want to head in.

But, acquiring a good, top 4 RD is pretty difficult to do & will likely take premium assets if the goal is to have one in place on our blueline next season. Some teams (one example would be Toronto) have been trying to do this for close to a decade.

It should be easy enough to get a decent enough winger to play in the top 6 through free agency I'd think.

I've been mulling this over a bit. Maybe moving Norris & Chabot is what it's going to take. I was initially lukewarm to that Idea, but starting to wonder if that's a necessary strategy. If a trade is the works, I hope its a really good player with term.

Tarasenko, Kubalik and probably Brannstrom are the more obvious moves, but don't think those moves will move the needle much or make a significant difference.
You, Spez and others are highlighting a key problem. Dorion left the team with little flexibility due to contracts (term, size, NMC,) and cap. Bert (if I recall!) and others advocate that Chabot is likely the player to move. If the team wants to fix both goalie and RD via trade (while possibly dumping a bad contract) then my view is that both Chabot and Norris will be traded. Norris might be difficult to trade due to contract and injury question marks.

Tarasenko, Kubalik and Brannstrom are no brainers to move if there are takers. I doubt the return will be good.

I hesitate to use the term "rebuild" as it won't be a total teardown but significant moves are needed imho.

Last edited:

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Don t know if I have understand properly. It s seems Staios said the time for starting winning his soon and don’t care to trade our first this year. I think he said maybe we forfeit this year first

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Fan want a number one goalie. Yesterday have a rumor about a good one and a rd prospect but people want this for free

I don’t think we trade Chabot. For Andleaur French seems important and this is a good thing

Reactions: Flamingo

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Fan want a number one goalie. Yesterday have a rumor about a good one and a rd prospect but people want this for free

I don’t think we trade Chabot. For Andleaur French seems important and this is a good thing
I think he is as good as gone. Sanderson, Chychrun and Kleven seems destiny

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Do you mind me asking what are these rumours?
From everything I’ve seen and read in interviews he likes being here especially since he is close to family.
Doesn't he spend time on White Lake in the summer - a family cottage or something?

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Without blowing up the core too much, I feel Chabot and Norris are the ones who will not be here next year. I feel they are both expendable at this point. Too bad as they were guys we all loved

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Don’t see the need to rush the “Bring in veteran help” unless it‘s to free up Cap space to be able to add Pinto to the line up…. But the season has been successfully flushed down the tubes, and perhaps the off season is the time to acquire “veteran help”… making trades now, in a desperation mode is not the route the Senators should go…. But I’m NOT a rookie GM, with zero experience at the NHL level, and still searching for a permanent full time Head Coach…. As it seems clear now that the interim coach is not any better than the fired coach….. this should be the front burner issue.
1704888010279.png

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I made the same point back then before the trade occurred and this summer. I kept saying we have 4 good defenseman but questioned whether we had two good pairs. That idea didn't get much traction and was lost in the enthusiasm.

No plan or strategy seems to be a common theme amongst a lot of these moves.
That's his MO. There's literally no plan and here we are. Posters defended him at nauseum, it was so obvious he had no clue. You can tell who understands the business and sport and who didn't. Chychrun trade and Debrincat trades never made sense. Among 90% of the deals that guy made.

Don’t see the need to rush the “Bring in veteran help” unless it‘s to free up Cap space to be able to add Pinto to the line up…. But the season has been successfully flushed down the tubes, and perhaps the off season is the time to acquire “veteran help”… making trades now, in a desperation mode is not the route the Senators should go…. But I’m NOT a rookie GM, with zero experience at the NHL level, and still searching for a permanent full time Head Coach…. As it seems clear now that the interim coach is not any better than the fired coach….. this should be the front burner issue.
View attachment 800149
No youre not. But he did play in the league for 15 years and has been in hockey ops for another 12. He's forgot more than you know about hockey thankfully. You defended Dorion for years. Tells us all we need to know about your hockey acumen.

Also it takes more than 10 games to fix the way this team has been coached for 5 years. But anyone that knows hockey actually understands this. Thanks for showing us your true colors once again.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
That's his MO. There's literally no plan and here we are. Posters defended him at nauseum, it was so obvious he had no clue. You can tell who understands the business and sport and who didn't. Chychrun trade and Debrincat trades never made sense. Among 90% of the deals that guy made.

No youre not. But he did play in the league for 15 years and has been in hockey ops for another 12. He's forgot more than you know about hockey thankfully. You defended Dorion for years. Tells us all we need to know about your hockey acumen.

Also it takes more than 10 games to fix the way this team has been coached for 5 years. But anyone that knows hockey actually understands this. Thanks for showing us your true colors once again.
Bobby Ryan said he wanted to wait 20 games to see if the guys where getting it. Do you think it that is the minimum?.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad