Management GM Pierre Dorion WORST moves #6

Which move was the worst? #6

• Rudolfs Balcers (23 y/o) lost on waivers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mike Condon (27 y/o) extension (3 years x 2.4)

• Zack Smith (29 y/o) extension (4 years x 3.25)

• 2021 5th (#148 OA) for Erik Gudbranson (29 y/o)

• 2020 4th (#95 OA) for Joshua Brown (26 y/o) + extension (2 years x 1.2)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
GM Pierre Dorion (2016-present) WORST moves

#1 - Mika Zibanejad (23 y/o) + 2018 2nd round pick (#33 OA) for Derick Brassard (29 y/o)
#2- Kyle Turris (28 y/o) + 2019 1st (#4 OA) + Shane Bowers + 2019 3rd (#63 OA) for Matt Duchene (27 y/o)
#3- Mark Stone (26 y/o) for Erik Brannstrom + 2020 2nd (#61 OA Egor Sokolov)
#4- Mike Hoffman (29 y/o) + 2020 5th (#126 OA) for Mikkel Boedker (29 y/o) + 2020 6th (#158 OA Philippe Daoust)
#5- 2021 2nd (#37 OA) for Derek Stepan (30 y/o)
#6-
#7-
#8-
#9-
#10-

Of course all of this is with the benefit of hindsight, we are starting to look at the end results of these moves

Some personal notes and options to add later

- Johnny Oduya (35 y/o) contract : 1 year x 2.25 (played way too much for where he was at, it was his last year in the NHL)
- Craig Anderson (37 y/o) extension : 2 years x 4.75 (that seemed very high for a goalie who was aging/declining)
- Anders Nilsson (29 y/o) extension : 2 years x 2.6 (too much too fast once again)
- Ron Hainsey (38 y/o) : 1 year x 3.5 (3rd in TOI/GP for D-men, best he could get I suppose)
- Evgeni Dadonov (27 y/o) contract : 3 years x 5.0 (vast majority liked that signing but he didn't fit in Ottawa. Dorion made a nice trade to get out of the contract thought, getting 1 year of Holden and a 3rd round pick)
- Michael Del Zotto (31 y/o) contract : 2 years x 2.0 (doesn't seem like it was a good idea, hindsight or not)
- Alex Chiasson for Patrick Sieloff
- Evgeni Dadonov contract (same timing as Bobby Ryan buyout)
- Hiring Guy Boucher and staff
- Hiring DJ Smith and staff

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Demelo trade should have been #4 IMO.

I was quite vocal about wanting to keep him when everyone wanted to ship him out, and I wasn't happy at the time of the trade, and I'm not happy about it today either.

Last edited:

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
For me its DeMelo.

We are a team who is awful on D and we trade the only good defensive D man we have at that time who was an RD and played fine on the 2nd pairing considering how crap he was. We could've afforded him, and signing him with some term would've been a good move for keeping a stop gap that isn't garbage. We went out and got garbage in Gudbranson who was beyond useless and in decline for ages.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Boucher over Sillinger is probably the one that will have the biggest negative impact on the franchise going forward, but it's hard to determine whether Dorion is responsible for that or if it was Mann and the scouting staff.

I'd say Dahlen for Burrows out of the available options for the same reason I voted for the Stepan trade last time.

Traded a 2nd round prospect for an over-the-hill vet that didn't help the team win games and was bought out a season later.

Reactions: bicboi64

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Definitely think the Anderson extension should be on the list.

I know he's a Sens legend but prematurely extending a 37YR old goalie before the season for 2 extra years at big money was such a terrible move in terms of potential upside versus potential downside.

Reactions: DrEasy

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
- Anders Nilsson (29 y/o) extension : 2 years x 2.6 (too much too fast once again)
- Ron Hainsey (38 y/o) : 1 year x 3.5 (3rd in TOI/GP for D-men, best he could get I suppose)
- Hiring Guy Boucher and staff

These 3 moves should be on the other list, or at the very least, not on this list at all.

Nilsson was great for us. 2yrs x 2.6 was a really good deal for a goalie who put up 0.914 and 0.908 with us. The fact that he had to retire because of concussion issues should not be a factor.

Hainsey was quietly solid for us. On a 1yr deal that brought us to the cap floor. There's absolutely nothing to complain about there.

Boucher was an amazing hiring for us at the time. He was a win-now hard-ass coach with a short self life that did exactly that. He turned us from a defensive mess into an infamous "boring 1-3-1" defensive juggernaut that was one shot away from the SCF. That move should absolutely be on the best moves list.

Reactions: trentmccleary

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

I know he's a Sens legend but prematurely extending a 37YR old goalie before the season for 2 extra years at big money was such a terrible move in terms of potential upside versus potential downside.

I acutally agree with this. I find people around here massively exaggerate some of the "bad" moves, while other bad moves fly under the radar. This is one of the bad moves that made little sense to me and flew under the radar.

Reactions: Crosside

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville

Not only that, but they extended him AND Condon. Which goalie do you trust moving forward? Pick one. At all times they had millions sitting on the bench watching the other allow brutal goals.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I voted Duclair here. I'm not a pro scout, so when the team trades for Murray or Burrows, or picks Boucher over Sillinger, I am not competent enough to judge since I don't follow other teams or junior leagues closely enough. But what I CAN judge is when I follow a player on our own team for an entire season and can see the talent, and yet management still lets the player go for absolutely nothing. There were two players I fixated on who were pleasant surprises, and they were Duclair and DeMelo. At least in DeMelo's case we got something for him at the deadline.

I mean, how can you trust this management when they can't even evaluate the talent on their own team, let alone scout other teams properly?

pt_mck

Jul 1, 2005
Ottawa
I voted Tyler Boucher, not looking good right now.

Dorion offered Duclair a more than fair contract. Duclair chose to leave.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
So much crap to choose from wow.

I really hated the Boucher pick and trying to keep an open mind on it but woof what a swing and a miss right now.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Matt Murray + extension for me.

I can understand trading for a guy who was having serious struggles, hoping you’d be able to turn him around.

I don’t understand handing him a long term contract that made him the 6th highest paid goaltender in the league. It’s the epitome of paying for past success and our team didn’t even benefit from that success. Damn, if Pittsburgh wasn’t willing to pay their 2 time cup winner, it should have said everything right there.

Reactions: Hale The Villain

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
I'll go with the Demelo trade.

Its not as egregious as others, but we've desperately needed another NHL level, top 4 defender here over the last couple of years.

Getting a 3rd round pick was at least something, but we needed a defender on a mid-term, reasonable contract more.

The 4-year X $3m AAV contract that Winnipeg gave Demelo is pretty reasonable all things considered, and wouldn't be hard to move if need be if there was a viable, young replacement from within in year 3 or 4 of that contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad