Management GM Pierre Dorion BEST moves #4

Which move was the best? #4

• Marián Gáborík + Anders Nilsson (LTIRs) for Braydon Coburn + Cédric Paquette + 2022 2nd (TBL)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Evgeni Dadonov (32 y/o) for Nick Holden (34 y/o) + 2022 3rd (VAN)

• Matt Duchene (28 y/o) for 2019 1st (#19 OA Lassi Thomson) + Vitaly Abramov + Jonathan Davidsson

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
GM Pierre Dorion (2016-present) BEST moves

#1 - Erik Karlsson (28 y/o) for 1st round pick (#3 OA Tim Stützle) + Josh Norris + Rudolfs Balcers + Chris Tierney + Dylan DeMelo + 2nd round pick (#37 OA Mads Sogaard*) + 2nd round pick (#39 OA Zack Ostapchuk)
#2- Drake Batherson (23 y/o) extension (6 years x 4.975)
#3- Derick Brassard (30 y/o) for 1st (JBD + Tychonick) + Gustavsson + 3rd (via Ian Cole)
#4-

* Ottawa traded up using the Panthers 2nd round pick and the Penguins 3rd round pick (swapped with Ottawa's 3rd in the Brassard trade)

Of course all of this is with the benefit of hindsight, we are starting to look at the end results of these moves

Some moves to add later

- Victor Mete (22 y/o) claimed on waivers
- Zack Smith (31 y/o) for Artem Anisimov (31 y/o)
- 5th for Mike Reilly then traded for a 3rd
- 4th for Austin Watson
- Brady Tkachuk extension (7 years x 8.2)
- Artem Zub extension (2 years x 2.5)

Let me know if you have any suggestions!

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
This is discovering Artem Zub and sign him pretty easily. Even though the quick rushed 2 years extension was again a pure lack of foresight, we still got (hopefully more) 3 years of Zub

It's true that having a lottery team with barely any quality D-men aftger Chabot made it easy for Zub to choose Ottawa but still, let's give a bit of credit here.

I'm not sure why Thomas Chabot's contract get that many votes. He's my favorite current Sens player with the Drake but there's only 9 D-men with a bigger AAV this year... And Subban's deal expires at the end of the season

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I hesitated between Zub and Dzingel but went with Dzingel. Extracting so much value out of Dzingel is quite a feat, gotta hand it to Dorion. Too bad he let the biggest piece of the return go for nothing...

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I hesitated between Zub and Dzingel but went with Dzingel. Extracting so much value out of Dzingel is quite a feat, gotta hand it to Dorion. Too bad he let the biggest piece of the return go for nothing...
Dzingel actually had value when he traded him. He was a legit top 6 threat with elite speed. I don’t think that was any sort of coup or he tricked anybody.

Reactions: DrEasy

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I wanted to say Zub, but the Pageau return was great. Pageau would've been a great vet to keep around. Imagine him at $5 million, as our 1C right now or even last year, would've helped out a bit and we could've still moved him. Having said that, his value was at an all time high and I doubt we'd have gotten a 1st rounder for him along with a 2nd. Plus Grieg can end up being a Marchand type player for us so we added a good role prospect.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I wanted to say Zub, but the Pageau return was great. Pageau would've been a great vet to keep around. Imagine him at $5 million, as our 1C right now or even last year, would've helped out a bit and we could've still moved him. Having said that, his value was at an all time high and I doubt we'd have gotten a 1st rounder for him along with a 2nd. Plus Grieg can end up being a Marchand type player for us so we added a good role prospect.
Pageau was always going to have a nice return. All GMs drool over pageau.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Yall are nuts, it absolutely has to be Chabot. Securing a bonafide top number 1 D for 8 years during the horrible media buzz surrounding the team was miraculous for us. We would be far worse without this man(Chabot).

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Yall are nuts, it absolutely has to be Chabot. Securing a bonafide top number 1 D for 8 years during the horrible media buzz surrounding the team was miraculous for us. We would be far worse without this man(Chabot).

Throwing 64M at a player and having them accept isn't that impressive of a move.

Like with Batherson it was market value at the time. Great for the franchise that we were able to lock them up to those deals but I think if we're trying to gauge Dorion's best moves, signing a legit top 4 D in Zub for free or getting a better than expected return for Dzingel were better.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Dzingel actually had value when he traded him. He was a legit top 6 threat with elite speed. I don’t think that was any sort of coup or he tricked anybody.

Yeah he had 22 goals and 44 points in 54 games when he was dealt and was only 26 years old at the time.

I'm pretty sure we offered him a nice contract worth close to 5M before he was traded, which speaks to his value back then.

Two 2nds or a late 1st was a fair return for him at the time. Just looks lopsided given how much Dzingel regressed after that.

What made it a great move is taking a chance on Duclair as his replacement, which worked out amazingly well. Was stupid for Dorion to let him go for nothing but he did put up 31 goals and 54 points in 87 games for us for dirt cheap.

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
The Dzingel trade is being voted his 3rd best trade. Ok, how did it turn out for us?

He let Duclair walk as a UFA after he lit it up for us, and traded both of the 2nd rounders for Matt Murray and the corpse of Derek Stepan

But yeah, great GM

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Throwing 64M at a player and having them accept isn't that impressive of a move.

Like with Batherson it was market value at the time. Great for the franchise that we were able to lock them up to those deals but I think if we're trying to gauge Dorion's best moves, signing a legit top 4 D in Zub for free or getting a better than expected return for Dzingel were better.

At this point, he gets bonus points just for logical moves. Chabot a number 1 D and he signed him longterm--that in itself is an accomplishment for Dorion and a sigh of relief for rest of us.

The Dzingel trade is being voted his 3rd best trade. Ok, how did it turn out for us?

He let Duclair walk as a UFA after he lit it up for us, and traded both of the 2nd rounders for Matt Murray and the corpse of Derek Stepan

But yeah, great GM

Like I said before, very good seller(except stone lol), and the worst buyer.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

But yeah, great GM

I think the right way to look at it is to separate the moves and judge them individually.

Dzingel for Duclair, 2nd, 2nd? Great trade
2nd for Stepan? Awful trade
2nd for Murray? Bad trade
Letting Duclair walk? So stupid

He definitely squandered the return, but it doesn't change the fact it was a good move.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yeah he had 22 goals and 44 points in 54 games when he was dealt and was only 26 years old at the time.

I'm pretty sure we offered him a nice contract worth close to 5M before he was traded, which speaks to his value back then.

Two 2nds or a late 1st was a fair return for him at the time. Just looks lopsided given how much Dzingel regressed after that.

What made it a great move is taking a chance on Duclair as his replacement, which worked out amazingly well. Was stupid for Dorion to let him go for nothing but he did put up 31 goals and 54 points in 87 games for us for dirt cheap.
Seems to be part of Dorion issue. Can’t get out of his own way. Wow what’s. Return for dzingel! Mm yeah let’s give it away. Did lot we also trade those seconds for Matt murray and Derek stepan? I could be wrong.

and the karlsson return. Great. Let’s give balcers and demelo away for nothing.

balcer demelo duclair given away for nothing. As we are now looking for even serviceable players for the exact positions they played

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad