GM candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Joe Haggerty did a nice review of the likely candidates. I realize many here have forgotten more than Joe knows or think they do but regardless its a nice summation.

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/plenty-candidates-consider-next-bruins-gm

few interesting tidbits even I didn't know and debated whether showing weakness by admitting it but my therapist says its good to drop your guard every now and then

Jeff Gorton would require compensation in the form of a third round pick. Considering Boston is picking 14 that kind of blows. I know Marchand went in the third round and Cehlarik and Gryzelck the last two years. I believe the great Sobotka might have been a third rounder as well.

Shero has been around the building a lot- read that. Murphy said he is not a GM candidate and I know, I know....but I'm going with Murph the Surf on this one as I kinda believe him. No phone calls I just hang around with a bunch of 40 and 50 year old gossip hens.

Also found it interesting on the Claude front if Sweeney should get the job. I still think he is gone but its there.

No matter what happens this board has convinced me we are all doomed.

I still will put Milbury at the same as our lottery odds but thank you Friedman for at least giving this place something to panic about

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
Sweeney or Gorton. Kind of sucks we have to Compensate for Gorton. I don't know why execs agreed to that seems like it could hold a lot of them back.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
Warming up to Fenton idea.

Still wish they would have done a toronto esk house cleaning.

Pinning the underwhelming body of work this season on Chiarelli seems to be very much like a sacrificial lamb.

I dont see it as his fault only.

Plenty to go around.

I am sure he will LOVE his job in Toronto.

TheBigZ

Dec 18, 2007
Dallas, TX
www.hfboards.com
If Sweeney gets it, that means that claude stays and I think that ship has sailed. We need a coach with a more aggressive approach just as Cam described at the press conference. So I would go with Mike Futa.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
I would be a bit underwhelmed with Sweeney but it seems like that is who it is going to be. I am pretty sure he didn't invent the summer development camp btw, every team does them, some before the Bruins ever did.

Shero's draft history will do him in, if the Bruins even interview him this time around. Neely intimated that one was of the main reason Chiarelli got the ax and Shero drafted worse. Don't want Fitzgerald.

Gorton please.

Brisebois, Fenton and Futa also sound like an intriguing candidates as well.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Gorton, I think, is the best guy for the job. He had a very positive impact in a short period of time as interim GM here.

Right now, he's basically running the show over at NYR, but without the title and the actual final control, with Sather hanging around.

In Boston, the risk for him, is that he finally earns the GM title, but would Neely be meddling with hockey control?

Sweeney would bring some institutional stability and certainty, and I think it makes sense for Claude to stick around at least to give him a chance under the new regime. So, if Sweeney kept him around, that's a plus.

At the same time, my worry with Sweeney is that he's too close to the current team and its approach; that if he's been handling trade discussions, contract negotiations, etc, then his fingerprints are all over a lot of the problems we have now. My other worry is that Sweeney is a former player, friend of Neely's too, and my worry the team will be run like a Bruins club, rather than professionalism and excellence; where things become more about tribalism and nepotism than meritocracy. For example, with Sweeney the lead candidate, we're hearing rumors of Mike Milbury as the next coach. I mean, WTF? A similar example of this kind of silliness is using our second pick last year to draft Ryan Donato, when he would very likely be available in later rounds. I do not believe that was a purely meritocratic pick.

What that sort of thing looks like, is basically the Edmonton Oilers. It's a bunch of clueless former players who couldn't develop a team if they fell over four 1st overall draft picks.

Last edited:

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Gorton, I think, is the best guy for the job. He had a very positive impact in a short period of time as interim GM here.

Right now, he's basically running the show over at NYR, but without the title and the actual final control, with Sather hanging around.

In Boston, the risk for him, is that he finally earns the GM title, but would Neely be meddling with hockey control?

Sweeney would bring some institutional stability and certainty, and I think it makes sense for Claude to stick around at least to give him a chance under the new regime. So, if Sweeney kept him around, that's a plus.

At the same time, my worry with Sweeney is that he's too close to the current team and its approach; that if he's been handling trade discussions, contract negotiations, etc, then his fingerprints are all over a lot of the problems we have now. My other worry is that Sweeney is a former player, friend of Neely's too, and my worry the team will be run like a Bruins club, rather than professionalism and excellence; where things become more about tribalism and nepotism than meritocracy. For example, with Sweeney the lead candidate, we're hearing rumors of Mike Milbury as the next coach. I mean, WTF? A similar example of this kind of silliness is using our second pick last year to draft Ryan Donato, when he would very likely be available in later rounds. I do not believe that was a purely meritocratic pick.

What that sort of thing looks like, is basically the Edmonton Oilers. It's a bunch of clueless former players who couldn't develop a team if they fell over four 1st overall draft picks.

I doubt Gorton is let go or even wants to interview.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I doubt Gorton is let go or even wants to interview.

Could be right. Hope he at least entertains.

I think the only carrot, might be that Sather, I doubt, is going anywhere anytime soon. He's likely to remain a GM for another several years, because he enjoys it too much.

In Boston, Gorton would be in control (so long as Neely does not meddle).

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
all Neely wants is to do is play fast, physical and exciting hockey and have players who can play that way

Chiarelli traded Seguin, traded Boychuk, and built a softer than a baby's ass team and somehow Neely is getting the blame for this

Chiarelli had a job and he didn't do it- one more year and we get another year older, slower, and softer. really

if Neely boycotted the Seguin and Boycott deals he would have meddled, then when he did prevent Chiarelli from trading the 14th pick for Vermette everyone is worried he meddled....DJ Bean says he ties his hands

folks, Chiarelli was going to deal the first round pick for Vermette and he was prevented.....God Bless Cam Neely that didn't happen

you cant win around here

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
all Neely wants is to do is play fast, physical and exciting hockey and have players who can play that way

Chiarelli traded Seguin, traded Boychuk, and built a softer than a baby's ass team and somehow Neely is getting the blame for this

Chiarelli had a job and he didn't do it- one more year and we get another year older, slower, and softer. really

if Neely boycotted the Seguin and Boycott deals he would have meddled, then when he did prevent Chiarelli from trading the 14th pick for Vermette everyone is worried he meddled....DJ Bean says he ties his hands

folks, Chiarelli was going to deal the first round pick for Vermette and he was prevented.....God Bless Cam Neely that didn't happen

you cant win around here

Hard to disagree with any of these points. All good. I give Neely huge credit for stopping the Vermette trade. Firmly believe Chiarelli wanted to offer a 1st plus (to match the Chicago offer). We have a 14th pick today because of it.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Hard to disagree with any of these points. All good. I give Neely huge credit for stopping the Vermette trade. We have a 14th pick today because of it.

I was out throwing a Frisbee to my dog this morning and put on DJ Bean's hockey show and he is pissing and moaning how Neely didn't allow Chiarelli to trade that first round pick at the deadline:laugh:

for Vermette!!!!

if Chiarelli traded for Vermette, then Spooner never sees the ice and we S-U-C-K even worse since Ryan Spooner led or came close to leading the team in March following the trade deadline.

HF- I don't want Neely he'll meddle.

HF- Neely should have meddled and stopped the Seguin trade, the Boychuk trade.

He did ****ing meddle- he stopped the 14th freaking overall pick for going for a stiff

All the guy wants is to get guys that
1 skate hard
2. play hard
3. battle
4. play Bruins hockey as we know it

last I looked the Bruins were getting out hit pretty much every game and are one of the slower teams in the league

he apparently noticed this also

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I was out throwing a Frisbee to my dog this morning and put on DJ Bean's hockey show and he is pissing and moaning how Neely didn't allow Chiarelli to trade that first round pick at the deadline:laugh:

for Vermette!!!!

if Chiarelli traded for Vermette, then Spooner never sees the ice and we S-U-C-K even worse since Ryan Spooner led or came close to leading the team in March following the trade deadline.

He did ****ing meddle- he stopped the 14th freaking overall pick for going for a stiff

1 skate hard
2. play hard
3. battle

last I looked the Bruins were getting out hit pretty much every game and are one of the slower teams in the league

<mic drop> :yo::handclap:

pblc

Mar 8, 2002
Nova Scotia Canada
Visit site
In the article it says that Chiarelli was the Bruins 3rd choice. I must be getting old and forgetful because I thought he was the 2nd choice after Shero. Who was the 2nd choice?

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
In the article it says that Chiarelli was the Bruins 3rd choice. I must be getting old and forgetful because I thought he was the 2nd choice after Shero. Who was the 2nd choice?

Milbury. :sarcasm:

I actually thought Chiarelli was the second choice to, my guess is he is referring to Dean Lombardi who was also in the mix.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002

you cant win around here

Amen. For years people called for accountability and for ownership to show it cares. Now it's panic and knee jerk? Chiarelli has out this team in a really bad spot cap wise and has done a below average job at drafting. His plan to keep the band together not only backfired but tied his hands. Couple that with his inability to be creative and here we are.

Iceage

Jun 26, 2013
Hard to disagree with any of these points. All good. I give Neely huge credit for stopping the Vermette trade. Firmly believe Chiarelli wanted to offer a 1st plus (to match the Chicago offer). We have a 14th pick today because of it.

And probably the reason Pastrnak is here also.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
My choices in order are 1. Gorton, 2. Futa and 3. Sweeney. I would give up the 3rd pick for Gorton or maybe Futa and then get more picks back by dealing guys like Kelly and Seidenberg while helping with the cap space as well.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002

for Vermette!!!!

1 skate hard
2. play hard
3. battle

your first mistake was listening to a show anchored by a guy named dj bean :p: (heard the name, don't really follow his work, but if he's whining about this i'm ok if you punch him in the neck).

i'm in the minority here, but can't wait for neely to put his stamp on this team. I think they'll interview a lot of qualified guys, steal some ideas from them, and give Sweeney the keys.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
I think Sweeney will get the job but Brisebois would be my choice. Smart guy with a lot of experience on contract negotiations. Has done an incredible job in Montreal.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary

for Vermette!!!!

1 skate hard
2. play hard
3. battle

Only issue is, Neely was there as Chiarelli did it - so who holds him accountable?

Could he not have extolled his vision on PC to acquire those types of players?

I get what you are putting down, but somewhere along the line I am missing how I should make Neely exempt and only dump on Pete.

If PC reported to Neely, then Neely should be responsible for the actions of his GM.

To say he doesn't like what he has seems inconsistent to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad