Post-Game Talk: [GM 73] Canucks defeat Blackhawks | 4-2 | Di Giuseppe, Petterson(2), & Boeser

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I could be wrong, but the way I've always understood the term, being a strong playmaker doesn't necessarily make you a strong play-driver.

Boeser is capable of smart and skilled passing as well, but there is nothing about him that resembles a play-driver, IMO. He's still very much a complementary guy, whether he's at his best or not.

In contrast, I'd say Garland is probably more of a play-driver, but it's not really due to his playmaking abilities being much better if at all.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
driving play is mostly about zone entries, forechecking and neutral zone play. kuzmenko doesn't do any of that well

doesn't mean he's a bad player just means that if you put him with say aman and boeser (also not play drivers) his offense would totally dry up and his possession stats would crater

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Really liked Bear tonight. At his best when he is in the offensive zone and showed it tonight.

Not sure what to think yet of Hronek and it's hard to judge the defensive play of our entire blueline against a team so devoid of offensive talent like Chicago.

Didn't like Delia tonight but for the most part, the puck stayed out. Looked kind of scrambled in there and didn't contain the puck well. Probably gets shelled against a good team playing like that.

Forwards tonight were... opportunistic? Seemed to be able to turn it on when needed. Really liking where Beauvillier is at right now. Have to wonder if they actually look to extend him if they can move out their other winger deals. He plays the game our management looks for.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Don’t you think it’s worth at least having a 3% shot at a generational talent? If this was debate between 9th and 11th then sure but seems like they are trending towards 12th or 13th and finishing outside of a shot at bedard seems like a mistake (even if it’s only 3% shot).
The goal posts are moving here. First it was 9th and that was bad. Then 11th. Now 12 or 13th.

St Louis and Washington (as well as everyone with better odds then us presently) would have to continue to lose, as every win is a speed bump for this "anti-tank".

Plus 3%, or even 8.5% for 27th overall, are vanishing small returns compared to the list of things outlined by MS.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I didn’t watch the Dallas game but Hronek tonight didn’t impress me. Not sure if he was better in the other game or just tired tonight

Agent007

Mar 22, 2006
The goal posts are moving here. First it was 9th and that was bad. Then 11th. Now 12 or 13th.

St Louis and Washington (as well as everyone with better odds then us presently) would have to continue to lose, as every win is a speed bump for this "anti-tank".

Plus 3%, or even 8.5% for 27th overall, are vanishing small returns compared to the list of things outlined by MS.
Not moving goal posts just saying finishing 12th or 13th won’t land you 1st overall because you can only move up 10 spots in the lottery which means only bottom 11 can jump to 1st.

With that said if two of Ottawa, Washington, Buffalo can get to 85 points then we can still go 6-3 down the stretch and finish in the bottom 11.

Reactions: Indiana

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Not moving goal posts just saying finishing 12th or 13th won’t land you 1st overall because you can only move up 10 spots in the lottery which means only bottom 11 can jump to 1st.

With that said if two of Ottawa, Washington, Buffalo can get to 85 points then we can still go 6-3 down the stretch and finish in the bottom 11.
Yes, that would be unfortunate to miss the draft entirely after this season, but with the positives MS mentioned, versus odds that we will never win with, I don't see playing out the soft end to our season as a bad thing.

I don't think that 2/3 of those are going to have that awful a finish to the season either, so my silver linings argument could be moot.

Reactions: Indiana

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I didn’t watch the Dallas game but Hronek tonight didn’t impress me. Not sure if he was better in the other game or just tired tonight
I think he might be our best defender at breaking up plays around the crease. He looks like he can carry a pairing, which is huge.

The team is also trying to figure out how to use an offensively skilled right handed D. They haven't had one since Bieksa or Salo. I'm feeling good that he's going to start to show more offensively as he gets more acclimated.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Hughes, Miller and Pettersson have become a triumvirate that's back-boning this team to real respectability. Can add in people like Kuzmenko, Demko and, of late, Myers, but its remarkable the way these players are driving this team.

Would say that McDonough showed enough to have some hope. Couple of times he had trouble with the defenseman pinching but overall showed enough speed so as not to have too much concern about that. Probably should have scored and showed an ability to get to the net.

Little doubt Boeser has picked it up. But I'm mostly hoping that he keeps building those stats and increases his trade value. Don't see how the team gets some the players they want without moving salary and if they can get back a good pick at the entry draft and move Boeser's salary that still looks like the best option to me.

Hronek not as good in this game as he has been.

Good that Rathbone is getting a shot. But it's the same story. Good in open ice - not so good in traffic around his net. Could see off season move with him.

Delia is always such an adventure in net. Made some circus saves in this one but had immense horseshoes at other times. I don't think he ever looks like an NHL goal tender.

Joshua has maybe made the greatest strides this year. Hs become a good NHL bottom six player and much better on the PK. Maybe a candidate for unsung hero.

Studnicka, to me, just hasn't got it. See no improvement and total inability to handle the puck. Has nothing in the way of offensive game and is suspect defensively. Really don't like this trade. DiPietro is having an outstanding year in the AHL and Myrenburg stuck it out as 19 year old through a full season in the SEL.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I keep forgetting that Studnicka is under contract for next season. Seems like a likely candidate to be headed to Abbotsford at this rate.

Yeah, I’d expect the most likely outcome there barring a great camp is that he replaces one of Dowling/Stevens as a veteran 2-way C in Abbotsford.

I’ve said this a few times now but he drives me nuts because he has moments and shifts where you can see that there is a fast, high-motor, high-compete 3rd liner in there somewhere but he just can’t seem to find that intensity every shift, every night. Had 1 really good shift today but 1 good shift is not good enough.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Yeah, I’d expect the most likely outcome there barring a great camp is that he replaces one of Dowling/Stevens as a veteran 2-way C in Abbotsford.

I’ve said this a few times now but he drives me nuts because he has moments and shifts where you can see that there is a fast, high-motor, high-compete 3rd liner in there somewhere but he just can’t seem to find that intensity every shift, every night. Had 1 really good shift today but 1 good shift is not good enough.

Yeah. When he plays, he always has one out of nowhere shift that makes me notice “oh shit, he’s dressed tonight” and then goes back to being invisible. Definitely leaves you wanting more.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'd cut Hronek some slack.....he was sidelined for almost a month.....and then plugged back into the lineup where Tocchet played him 24 minutes. And he played close to 25 minutes again in Dallas last night.

So on a back-to-back, it kind of figured he'd be running on fumes. And for two periods, the rest of the lineup wasn't much better.

But the Canucks only allowed one goal against yet again, and that was a shorthanded goal. So obviously the blueline as a whole was doing something right.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Sportsnet highlights order
  1. Leafs Highlights
  2. Raptors highlights
  3. Lebron clown show James
  4. More NBA highlights
  5. Womens basketball
  6. More basktball
  7. Mens March madness
  8. Womens March madness
  9. Leafs highlights AGAIN!!!!
  10. Bruins highlights
  11. Canucks highlights
LOL

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Don’t you think it’s worth at least having a 3% shot at a generational talent? If this was debate between 9th and 11th then sure but seems like they are trending towards 12th or 13th and finishing outside of a shot at bedard seems like a mistake (even if it’s only 3% shot).
This reads pretty absurdly. Certainly doesn't sound like a worthwhile gamble when you put it that way.

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

VintageBure

Jun 7, 2018
I could be wrong, but the way I've always understood the term, being a strong playmaker doesn't necessarily make you a strong play-driver.

Boeser is capable of smart and skilled passing as well, but there is nothing about him that resembles a play-driver, IMO. He's still very much a complementary guy, whether he's at his best or not.

In contrast, I'd say Garland is probably more of a play-driver, but it's not really due to his playmaking abilities being much better if at all.
Garland also has a muffin of a shot and isn't a scoring threat unless he's able to wind up. Really holds back his offence imo.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Garland also has a muffin of a shot and isn't a scoring threat unless he's able to wind up. Really holds back his offence imo.
I agree, but I don't really relate those things to play-driving. As I understand it, it has nothing to do with your ability to get things done, it has to do with your ability to gain and keep control, moving things in the right direction, I think. If other players (like Boeser, who is far superior at everything you're describing) are required to finish for Garland and turn whatever he does into an actual scoring chance, Garland would still be the play-driver, I think.

Another player who I would say was always 100% a play-driver (more than Kuzmenko), even early on, back when he wasn't a particularly strong passer OR finisher (OR at generating much of anything useful besides possession), would be someone like Mason Raymond.

Last edited:
Reactions: andora

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad