Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Oui

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • only at BBQ

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Teams like Vancouver and Dallas really showing that unless we get on a super-hot run, we just don't have what it takes right now to truly be at the top of the league. We're good, but not great. Those teams are just another level, even more so come playoff time where our special teams flounder as much as our 5,v5 scoring. This game was a few lucky bounces from being a 7-2 loss, or a 6-4 win, but I just don't see us holding out 7 games...not with our inconsistent goaltending and team-wide defensive lapses. And our only 2 goals coming from MSF/J line.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
KK was our top individual expected goals player tonight in 5v5. Pesce 2nd and Drury 3rd. Kk isn’t as absent. KK had a .69 drury a .28
Expected goals is just a fancier version of Corsi. It doesn't account for finishing talent. When you consistently get lots of xGF but very few actualGF, you have a player who tries hard but just doesn't have the skill to compete.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
KK was our top individual expected goals player tonight in 5v5. Pesce 2nd and Drury 3rd. Kk isn’t as absent. KK had a .69 drury a .28
Advanced stats are good but need production though.

He's had a bunch of good advanced stats games lately (don’t forget he is a 4C playing against weaker competition) but still is not producing and forcing rod to put Drury at 2C (which is not ideal for a team wanting to win the cup this year).

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Expected goals is just a fancier version of Corsi. It doesn't account for finishing talent. When you consistently get lots of xGF but very few actualGF, you have a player who tries hard but just doesn't have the skill to compete.
Jordan Staal?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
but it shows who is driving offense so…

Reactions: WreckingCrew

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Jordan Staal?
I mean, I'm a broken record on this sometimes, but I think he and the third line, despite their success tonight, are major structural problems for this team. You simply can't have players like Staal and Fast that are near total offensive vacuums playing that much time if you want to be an elite team. Until we're willing and able to move guys like that down to 10-12 minutes a night we're going to have issues with scoring drying up.

Reactions: Tryamw and ndp

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Newsflash: teams/lines/players have off days.

Not every goddamn game is a referendum on the entire season.
It is when you lose against teams you need to beat. These are measuring stick games and Canes have a losing record against the West. Vancouver and Dallas both shut us down in the third when we needed the tying goal.

We still need a better 2C or another gifted goal scorer.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Vividly remember the bruins scoring a goal like this against us and us losing the challenge.
You’d have to show me this example. This has been consistently called back for at least 15 years. It’s honestly one of the most consistent things called in tge sport.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
It is when you lose against teams you need to beat. These are measuring stick games and Canes have a losing record against the West. Vancouver and Dallas both shut us down in the third when we needed the tying goal.

We still need a better 2C or another gifted goal scorer.
I don’t disagree that they aren’t getting what they need from the center position but they literally don’t need to beat anyone from the western conference until a round they haven’t been to since 2006.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I mean, I'm a broken record on this sometimes, but I think he and the third line, despite their success tonight, are major structural problems for this team. You simply can't have players like Staal and Fast that are near total offensive vacuums playing that much time if you want to be an elite team.
True but their defense is valuable (and if we had another 1 or 2C you could view them as a great 4th line (like the isles identify line). We are still short a player.

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
Newsflash: teams/lines/players have off days.

Not every goddamn game is a referendum on the entire season.
it’s not but this was basically what a playoff game is gonna look like and we’ve seen this song and dance before where we can’t score and lack that extra top 6 forward that these other top teams have.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
True but their defense is valuable (and if we had another 1 or 2C you could view them as a great 4th line (like the isles identify line). We are still short a player.
Their defense is not so good that it makes up for all of the scoring we lose. And there are many, many players in this league that do both.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I don’t disagree that they aren’t getting what they need from the center position but they literally don’t need to beat anyone from the western conference until a round they haven’t been to since 2006.
Won’t get out of the East and beat Florida either.

Florida’s size and center play from barkov kills us. tro had the size and speed to throttle barkov but now we are too small or too slow (Staal)

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
The trouble is that elite teams in the east very often do the same thing to us. This is exactly what happened against the Lightning two years ago, against Florida last year. We played good teams and they were able to isolate our top talent and our scoring depth just couldn't manage squat.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad