Post-Game Talk: [GM 51] Vancouver Canucks lose to New York Rangers | 3-4 | Garland, Podkolzin, & Pettersson

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I still think Clark is ridiculously overrated. He could do nothing to make Holtby OR Halak useable here and both left (after being horribly mis-used) only to immediately rebound with new teams. Markstrom doesn't look so great now and Demko is unlikely to get back to his previous form.
I think his successful task record overall speaks for itself but right now I think he has dropped the ball.

Not every goalie coach works for every goalie. I just don't like the narrative that he is infallible. If he was Columbus would have never let him leave. Or we wouldn't have the first time around.

What out of date things exactly are our goalies doing and is it salvageable or now too deeply engrained?
Holding your edges and not constantly picking RVH as your default save selection are the two most egregious.

Lehners resurgence in Vegas is about when this trend started since their goalie coach is all about holding your edges.

I can comment more later.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think his successful task record overall speaks for itself but right now I think he has dropped the ball.

Not every goalie coach works for every goalie. I just don't like the narrative that he is infallible. If he was Columbus would have never let him leave. Or we wouldn't have the first time around.

Holding your edges and not constantly picking RVH as your default save selection are the two most egregious.

Lehners resurgence in Vegas is about when this trend started since their goalie coach is all about holding your edges.

I can comment more later.

How much of it is coaching and how much of it is 'goalies are voodoo' and guys just losing it?

Martin to me looked like a solid .900ish backup journeyman in his starts last season and to start this season, but to me he looks like a guy who has just totally lost it since Demko got hurt. Lunging everywhere, losing angles, over-challenging. I feel like what we're seeing isn't because the message from coaches changed but just because a career minor-leaguer has lost what made him successful.

Likewise Demko just looked uncomfortable and didn't appear to be tracking the puck well coming off an injury/surgery.

Delia has been playing about as well as could be expected for a late-20s AHL goalie.

I never bought the 'Clark is a god who can fix anyone!' stuff and I have trouble buying that he's now doing a poor job when the results have reversed this year.

Reactions: Zippgunn

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
we're chastising as goalie coach over not doing anything with a 38 year old Halak?

pretty sure he is set in his ways at that age.
and he played like 16 games

Boudreau deserves blame for running demko into a franking wall and continuing to play him knowing he was injured.

Gurn

Jan 23, 2023
we're chastising as goalie coach over not doing anything with a 38 year old Halak?

pretty sure he is set in his ways at that age.
and he played like 16 games

Boudreau deserves blame for running demko into a franking wall and continuing to play him knowing he was injured.
That would be on the doctors- Demko was cleared to play.
Good to go, is good to go.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
How much of it is coaching and how much of it is 'goalies are voodoo' and guys just losing it?

Martin to me looked like a solid .900ish backup journeyman in his starts last season and to start this season, but to me he looks like a guy who has just totally lost it since Demko got hurt. Lunging everywhere, losing angles, over-challenging. I feel like what we're seeing isn't because the message from coaches changed but just because a career minor-leaguer has lost what made him successful.

Likewise Demko just looked uncomfortable and didn't appear to be tracking the puck well coming off an injury/surgery.

Delia has been playing about as well as could be expected for a late-20s AHL goalie.

I never bought the 'Clark is a god who can fix anyone!' stuff and I have trouble buying that he's now doing a poor job when the results have reversed this year.
There appears to be something happening league-wide where shooters have the upper hand and SV% has dropped.

What might be happening (what @mossey3535 appears to be getting at) is that Clarke's style has been exposed by the shot selection currently favored, that maybe RVH is being used as a kind of shooter tutor that players are training with in the offseason.

I think it's an interesting topic, but maybe not one that belongs in an expiring GDT.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
There appears to be something happening league-wide where shooters have the upper hand and SV% has dropped.

What might be happening (what @mossey3535 appears to be getting at) is that Clarke's style has been exposed by the shot selection currently favored, that maybe RVH is being used as a kind of shooter tutor that players are training with in the offseason.

I think it's an interesting topic, but maybe not one that belongs in an expiring GDT.

For sure, scoring is definitely up and save % down.

My question is just whether our bad goaltending results are a function of the coaching ... or just that our #1 played bad coming off an injury/surgery and the other two goalies who have started most of the games are career minor-leaguers.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Martin plays way too aggressively. He puts himself out of position often. And is rarely in a position to make a second save. I’m sure the book is out on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad