Post-Game Talk: GM 45: Canucks def. Wings 2-1 (SO) - Clinch Playoff Berth

John Bender*

While this game was largely stolen on the back of Cory Schneider, I think Burrows as Kesler deserve some credit for their great work defensively and on the PK. Burrows was also pretty much the only Canuck who generated some chances.

Thought Edler had a strong game, too. Nice to see him getting physically engaged, he is a monster when he does that...hopefully warming up for the playoffs.

Edler has been very good lately, which is good to see. Without Edler playing huge, the team will go nowhere in the playoffs.

John Bender*

According to Canucks Army we were outchanced 18-4 at even strength last night. I really don't see anything positive coming from last nights game aside from Schneider further cementing his title as an elite goalie in this league. We simply cannot expect to win many games where we are badly outchanced like this though.

Precisely. This may just not be the year for this team. There have been far to many games like the one last night for almost a full year now.........going back to last year.

If they somehow match up against Minnesota, I think they can win, but against LA or St. Louis? Not likely. Hopefully I am wrong, but they just can't score enough. If they get behind in a game 1 or 2 nothing to those teams it's basically lights out.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Precisely. This may just not be the year for this team. There have been far to many games like the one last night for almost a full year now.........going back to last year.

If they somehow match up against Minnesota, I think they can win, but against LA or St. Louis? Not likely. Hopefully I am wrong, but they just can't score enough. If they get behind in a game 1 or 2 nothing to those teams it's basically lights out.

This is my concern as well, I feel confident when we score first, but we seem to really struggle at coming back. We just seem to collapse

Type Not Specified

Part of the process
Oct 1, 2010
Vancouver
This is my concern as well, I feel confident when we score first, but we seem to really struggle at coming back. We just seem to collapse

I disagree somewhat. We've been absolutely horrible with the lead this season, and we've played some of our best hockey when we're down by a goal or 2. We have struggled to score but a lot of that has been because of the power play, which has looked much better with Kesler back. Getting Higgins back will help balance out the forward lines, and if we can stay healthy we at least have the potential to be a good offensive team.

Tanevian*

2. Cam Barker should never play another game for the Canucks ever even if the entire team gets injured.

It remarkable really. I didn't pay attention to him with other teams but heard all the criticism when we signed him. He is actually WORSE than any Oiler fan said.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I disagree somewhat. We've been absolutely horrible with the lead this season, and we've played some of our best hockey when we're down by a goal or 2. We have struggled to score but a lot of that has been because of the power play, which has looked much better with Kesler back. Getting Higgins back will help balance out the forward lines, and if we can stay healthy we at least have the potential to be a good offensive team.

I may be completely wrong, but I disagree with you on your first point. Although I may of had most of my impression pre-Kesler returning. We are an entirely different team with him, highlighted by our new PP as you said.

Agreed with your last points, we will have 3 lines that are defensively responsible and can produce. With the ability to stack 2 lines when we have to shorten the bench.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
So, Toronto is horribly outshot, outchanced, out-zone-possessioned but pulls it out and clinches a playoff spot = everyone on the CBC can't say enough about how this is their gameplan to get so outshot etc., they are so great and all...BUT...

Vancouver gets outshot, outchanced, the Wings control possession, but we grit it out and get the win and clinch a playoff spot = everyone says how lousy we are playing and doing all terrible, am I right?

Same scenario, completely different reactions. Toronto gives up 50 shots, but it's ok because Reimer is so great, Vancouver gives up 35 and we are relying too much on our goalie? Things are a little bit skewed here, two teams with similar records and one is crashing and burning while the other, everyone is just falling all over themselves to praise, power of expectations I guess.

MajorCanuck

Cup Please
Dec 30, 2011
Surrey, BC
So, Toronto is horribly outshot, outchanced, out-zone-possessioned but pulls it out and clinches a playoff spot = everyone on the CBC can't say enough about how this is their gameplan to get so outshot etc., they are so great and all...BUT...

Vancouver gets outshot, outchanced, the Wings control possession, but we grit it out and get the win and clinch a playoff spot = everyone says how lousy we are playing and doing all terrible, am I right?

Same scenario, completely different reactions. Toronto gives up 50 shots, but it's ok because Reimer is so great, Vancouver gives up 35 and we are relying too much on our goalie? Things are a little bit skewed here, two teams with similar records and one is crashing and burning while the other, everyone is just falling all over themselves to praise, power of expectations I guess.

I dont agree with much of what the CBC crew have to say, but the two teams have very different standards expected from there. The nucks going into teh season were cup contenders, the leafs are happy to make the playoffs.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
I dont agree with much of what the CBC crew have to say, but the two teams have very different standards expected from there. The nucks going into teh season were cup contenders, the leafs are happy to make the playoffs.

no kidding, you know you're reaching when you have to compare yourself to the leafs

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
The one thing that gives me confidence is how terrible LA was playing in their last two games before the playoffs. Dead, no heart, uninspired hockey. Then they flipped some magical switch and the rest is history.

Since it's so uncommon to see that, it doesn't really mean much. It's not a gameplan...but at least now we know it's not impossible.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
The one positive I see for our team is that when Kesler came back and roy was playing with higgins, we looked like an energetic and dangerous team. If the boys get healthy for the playoffs, and edler/bieksa play much more consistently, we can make it to the finals. Playing the Hawks in the conference finals would be nuts. I'm ready for part 4. if we made it to round 3, my guess is that booth would also be back. I really hope the boys can at least make it to round 2 so we can see what this team can really do.

I hope someone introduces himself to DK in this game. :handclap: I feel like a canuck may have been waiting for this game which is so close to the playoffs to do ... something.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
The one thing that gives me confidence is how terrible LA was playing in their last two games before the playoffs. Dead, no heart, uninspired hockey. Then they flipped some magical switch and the rest is history.

Since it's so uncommon to see that, it doesn't really mean much. It's not a gameplan...but at least now we know it's not impossible.

Except we all witnessed how that worked for us last year in the playoffs. We were suppose to flick that switch on. Now we're hoping to do the same this year. Sigh.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC

I will readily admit that last year's Kings are the one thing that do give me hope. That team personified the whole "Any team can win in the playoffs" narrative.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007

Only two games though - unless I'm mistaken, they were far more consistantly "better" since Sutter came aboard.

Our magical switch has cobwebs from lack of use.....

CanadianPirate

Apr 17, 2007

In 2011 the canucks were similar. Last two games against the oil they lost and looked completely out of it, everyone here had a panic attack. I remember people posting that they would obviously be knocked out of the first round and were pretenders. We all know what happened (went to the final and lost but the point still stands).

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Only two games though - unless I'm mistaken, they were far more consistantly "better" since Sutter came aboard.

Our magical switch has cobwebs from lack of use.....

It's true, but the team has played very few games with Roy and Kesler and this is a completely different team with them in the lineup. You would also expect both of those 2 to improve as they get more comfortable...

The Canucks have everything they need to go deep. Health will ultimately dictate how successful they are IMO.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
It's true, but the team has played very few games with Roy and Kesler and this is a completely different team with them in the lineup. You would also expect both of those 2 to improve as they get more comfortable...

The Canucks have everything they need to go deep. Health will ultimately dictate how successful they are IMO.
It all depends on how well Edler plays. Make a huge difference in that we'll have more than one decent pairing working if he plays at the level he should be at (who knows when Tanev is returning).

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
From what I remember, LA didn't "flip a switch" they were a low scoring team with good goaltending and after they acquired Carter they were one of the higher scoring teams with great defence and goaltending.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad