GDT: Gm 43: Ducks at Sharks, @ 7:30pm Pacific on KCOP-13

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Terry is turning into a bit of a hero for us
We love those dangles. I'm as happy as anyone with his improved play over the past 10 games or so. Better control of the puck, more aggressive in the offensive zone for sure. 15 points in 35 games doesn't scream hero to me. The next step is to consistently find ways to set up or score goals.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
We love those dangles. I'm as happy as anyone with his improved play over the past 10 games or so. Better control of the puck, more aggressive in the offensive zone for sure. 15 points in 35 games doesn't scream hero to me. The next step is to consistently find ways to set up or score goals.
Good luck with his linemates and this roster.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

i was hoping he’d hit around a .50 PPG this season. (40-45 points) On a putrid offensive Ducks team that is really good. Like with Zegras he really needs a sniper/goal scorer on his line. I think that’s why him and Henrique worked well, when Henrique is playing well.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Our other forwards don't control play and tempo when they get the puck.
Lines need to complement each other because all forwards have different skill sets. Saying a guy like Terry needs better line mates to be successful but others with different skills don't just exposes an agenda IMO. It's similar to those who constantly defend Fowler by saying he just doesn't have the right partner.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Lines need to complement each other because all forwards have different skill sets. Saying a guy like Terry needs better line mates to be successful but others with different skills don't just exposes an agenda IMO. It's similar to those who constantly defend Fowler by saying he just doesn't have the right partner.
I mean he is not going to get any better linemates from this team because we aren't very good. All I know is he's one if not the only player making plays every time he's on the ice recently. I'd love to see him on a decent team he'd explode.

Fowler biggest issue we all have is he is not confident at all in the offensive zone and he has an infatuation with reversing or turning back to our goal every chance he can get. His strengths are his skating and transitioning pucks but once he gets to the red line he dumps it in more times than not. He is so bad holding the blue line or getting shots through especially at the end of games.... I don't even know why we put him out there anymore with the goalie pulled, he almost always f***s something up with a shot to the shin or being unable to keep the puck in the zone.

Reactions: snowave

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
I mean he is not going to get any better linemates from this team because we aren't very good. All I know is he's one if not the only player making plays every time he's on the ice recently. I'd love to see him on a decent team he'd explode.

Fowler biggest issue we all have is he is not confident at all in the offensive zone and he has an infatuation with reversing or turning back to our goal every chance he can get. His strengths are his skating and transitioning pucks but once he gets to the red line he dumps it in more times than not. He is so bad holding the blue line or getting shots through especially at the end of games.... I don't even know why we put him out there anymore with the goalie pulled, he almost always f***s something up with a shot to the shin or being unable to keep the puck in the zone.
Agree, but don't think this is unique to Terry. Ducks don't have many PP chances, Eakins doesn't maximize his personnel by constantly rolling 4 lines, and the talent level just isn't there.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Terry had 4 points in his first 17 games (19 point pace) and has 11 in the 18 since (50 point pace).

3 in his last 10 (24 point pace). Splitting samples into arbitrary slices can tell all kinds of stories.

Terry is greatly improved but deeply flawed. It's not entirely a fluke or linemates that he doesn't produce points. He doesn't shoot enough, his shot isn't accurate or powerful when he does, and a lot of his passes are great ideas but not quite accurate enough.

He's doing a fantastic job of creating space for himself with his size and hands. He's gotten way better defensively and backchecks as hard as anyone on the team. He's gotten way better are corralling loose pucks and passes quickly.

He's got more breakout potential than anyone on the team outside of Zegras/Drysdale. But he's still got several more steps to take before he justifies the breathless praise he gets in some of these threads.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler
Jun 2, 2005
Finlandia
I was not watching when Fowler entered the league and had a great rookie season statistically. For people who remember those times, was he more aggressive and decisive on the offensive side of things? Did he show more vision and natural offensive talent back then? Been wondering this for a while.

Actually, I just realized I attended first Ducks games during his rookie season and eventually became a fan. Only a couple of years later I actually started religiously following.

EDIT:
Duh, the Fowler conversation was going on in Fleury trade thread and not here... well whatever, this can stay here as that's probably not the right place for Fowler discussion either.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I was not watching when Fowler entered the league and had a great rookie season statistically. For people who remember those times, was he more aggressive and decisive on the offensive side of things? Did he show more vision and natural offensive talent back then? Been wondering this for a while.

Actually, I just realized I attended first Ducks games during his rookie season and eventually became a fan. Only a couple of years later I actually started religiously following.

EDIT:
Duh, the Fowler conversation was going on in Fleury trade thread and not here... well whatever, this can stay here as that's probably not the right place for Fowler discussion either.

Fowler was Incredible in his rookie season, I became a fan instantly. He was explosive in the offensive zone but an adventure in the defensive zone like Karlsson/Subban/Theodore types.

In my eyes his potential looked to be a 1D who puts up over 50 points a year. He could absolutely fly and when him and Selanne were on the ice they were dangerous with their speed.

In his sophomore season Fowler and the Ducks fell flat on the ground and he would struggle the next season.

When he was a rookie the Ducks media was hyping up how Niedermayer was mentoring Fowler so perhaps that was putting unintended pressure on him to be his replacement or something.
At the very least there was expectations of him being 40+ point Dman every year.

Reactions: Tiny Biggs
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Fowler was Incredible in his rookie season, I became a fan instantly. He was explosive in the offensive zone but an adventure in the defensive zone like Karlsson/Subban/Theodore types.

In my eyes his potential looked to be a 1D who puts up over 50 points a year. He could absolutely fly and when him and Selanne were on the ice they were dangerous with their speed.

In his sophomore season Fowler and the Ducks fell flat on the ground and he would struggle the next season.

When he was a rookie the Ducks media was hyping up how Niedermayer was mentoring Fowler so perhaps that was putting unintended pressure on him to be his replacement or something.
At the very least there was expectations of him being 40+ point Dman every year.
He averages 36 points per 82 games. So...yeah.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Fowler has the talent to be more than a 35 point guy. He is just unwilling to be aggressive and is a very risk-averse player. If he played with the offensive aggression of Karlsson for example, he'd be in the 40s for sure. Maybe even around 50 on a team with good forwards.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Fowler has the talent to be more than a 35 point guy. He is just unwilling to be aggressive and is a very risk-averse player. If he played with the offensive aggression of Karlsson for example, he'd be in the 40s for sure. Maybe even around 50 on a team with good forwards.
Like Edmonton, imagine him playing aggressive there, every time he passes to McDavid in offensive zone he's probably gonna get at least a 2ndary assist lol.

Reactions: Mr Rogers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad