GDT: Gm 22: St. Louis Blues @ Boston Bruins |11/21/13|7P ET|NESN, NHLN-US, RDS|98.5 FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
The NHL uses the shootout to break ties, not to introduce new fans to the excitement of a skills exhibition. If anything, it's a side effect they are willing to live with.

The problem is breaking ties, or preventing them, or living with them. That's the problem.

One problem is the point awarded for ending regulation in a tie. You want to see a tie get broken, change how points are awarded. Some ideas:

1. 2 points for an OT win, zero points for an OT loss. If after OT it is still a tie, 1 point (or zero points) to each team.

2. 2 points awarded for regulation win; 1 point awarded for an OT win; zero points for a loss, regardless. In the case of a tie at the end of OT, 1 (or zero) for each team.

3. Do like baseball and keep going. Play indefinitely until someone scores.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Tuukka Rask sings Blues after Bruins shootout loss
On this night, Tuukka Rask was not shy about his opinion on the shootout.

“It sucks. It just sucks,†said Rask, whose feelings of frustration were compounded by a bad goal he allowed late in the first period. “I’d probably be laughing right now if we won, but it sucks when you lose. I hate it, especially when you can’t stop the puck. That’s the worst feeling.â€

What would Rask do with the shootouts if he was asked?

Said the netminder: “I’d gas ’em. Midseason.â€

http://bostonherald.com/sports/brui...a_rask_sings_blues_after_bruins_shootout_loss

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
As for the shootout.

Get rid of it.

Play 4 on 4, only allowed to change on the fly. Puck must be in neutral zone or offensive zone to complete a change on the fly(so that dman don't just keep the puck behind their net waiting for players to change)

If you calculate the amount of time it takes for the Zamboni to resurfaces the middle section of the ice and for the shootout to be completed you can probably play an extra 10 minutes or so of 4on4.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
No NHL team goes full out, all game, every game.

:laugh: obviously things don't always go right ...that doesn't mean teams aren't trying !!

You've said nothing other then a random comment that everyone knows ..it's impossible to go full speed every game :handclap: it's the effort during the game Hello ..we going missing after periods ...even during periods we play 10 mins slack for the last 10 .. This is happening weather you want to believe it or not ;)

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Maybe the shoot out will change. There has been talk of it.

I hate it . Many fans near us like it though...The same fans who didn't know who Bobby Orr was when he was standing right beside us before the puck drop. :help:

You're kidding right? Please tell me you're kidding. :amazed::facepalm:

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
I would put Thornton out there before Kelly.

He has a real nice dangle.

But honestly-Marchand probably had his best game of the season and I would have thrown him out there before Kelly.

I wonder how Krug would do in a shoot out (anyone see him in Providence)?

Marchand not getting enough love here. He looked vastly improved last night. Looks like he got the velcro back on his stick.

member 96824

The problem is if they're attracting new fans because of the shootout, it's not going to = a better game.

Well..I don't mean the shootout results in a better game, but if it brings on more fans, that leads to more kids interested in playing, leading to more athletes to choose from.

If a kid picks up a hockey stick because he saw something filthy that Datsyuk did in a shootout, it is a win for the NHL. As much as I dislike the shootout, I'm not afraid to admit when I'm looking for a youtube hockey fix...first I go to Dafoomie's page for the classics...second I'll go look at shootout goals from the guys like Kane, Datsyuk, Giroux, etc.

Here's a question that I'd be curious to see a poll around the NHL and around fans. What is preferable, staged fights or shootouts?

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
I'm coming here just to say that we should be better then this injures or not ..same problem can't finish lack luster effort most nights ..only time you see our team is in the final 5mins of the game sickening if you ask me

The only positives this year IMO is Tukkaa n the 3rd line and that's cause they play every shift !!

Sooo what's the biggest problem ?

A) Playing effort 70% to save getting injured during the season

B) Claude system is starting to bore them

C) (Marchy Bergy) (Lucic Krech) time to split up cause they are too comfy playing together

D) We just went to Finals so we are worn out from last year yet

E) all above

Last night was the first full 60+ minute effort by this squad, so I am a little surprised by the timing of these comments. That being said, there have been moments this season when team came out slow or couldn't finish. I wouldn't get too bent out of shape though. Look at the standings. The B's are at the top of the East and haven't even begun to run on all cylinders.

The top line is playing as they should...Lucic is playing better than I have seen him play in a long time.

The Second Line in still finding its rhythm. I don't think they should be split up (Eriksson is coming along and bergy has 5 pts in last 6gms). It all comes down to Marchy. He needs to settle down and play his game. Quit making the same mistakes, bring back the feisty and shoot as often as possible.

The third line is great and getting even better as the yeti continues to find his game.

The Merlot line is almost there.

On Defense...what can you say? Two of our stalwarts are out and it's hard to see the difference. Boychuk is the only guy who needs to make improvements.

So, to me...there is room for improvement, but certainly last nights effort is an indication the Bruins are heading in the right direction.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
:laugh: obviously things don't always go right ...that doesn't mean team aren't trying !!

You've said nothing other then a random comment that everyone knows ..it's impossible to go full speed every game :handclap: it's the effort during the game Hello ..we going missing after periods ...even during periods we play 10 mins slack for the last 10 .. This is happening weather you want to believe it or not ;)

And you just contradicted yourself, while mis-quoting me! Congratulations! :handclap:

You said you could name a lot of teams that play with a full effort every game, but you can't.

And I never said that the Bruins do. I merely said nobody does.

You also said that the Bruins put in a lackluster effort every night. I disagree. I haven't seen every game, but I've seen only one that I'd classify as a lackluster effort for the whole game.

You said the only time you see our team is the last 5 minutes of a game.

I've seen some absolutely dominant periods by the Bruins this year, some the 1st, some the 2nd, some the 3rd.

If you want to say they have rarely played with a dominant effort for a full 60 minutes this year, I will agree, but again, you could say the same about most teams.

We can talk about the weather in another thread.

hubey

Nov 19, 2013
Regina, Saskatchewan
Tuukka Rask sings Blues after Bruins shootout loss
On this night, Tuukka Rask was not shy about his opinion on the shootout.

“It sucks. It just sucks,†said Rask, whose feelings of frustration were compounded by a bad goal he allowed late in the first period. “I’d probably be laughing right now if we won, but it sucks when you lose. I hate it, especially when you can’t stop the puck. That’s the worst feeling.â€

What would Rask do with the shootouts if he was asked?

Said the netminder: “I’d gas ’em. Midseason.â€

http://bostonherald.com/sports/brui...a_rask_sings_blues_after_bruins_shootout_loss

You have to love Tuukka. He always speaks his mind!

BergyWho37

Jun 18, 2012
True North
Name 1?

Sometimes it's about giving the other team credit.

Teams play with a system, sometimes we look at a guy like Lucic who has somebody lined up....but he retreats, the system calls for Lucic to not put himself out of position to make a hit. We call him lazy, we say he isn't trying. In reality he is doing what is asked of him.

The Bruins overall have been Very good this year. Each line apart from the Merlot line has a new payer on it. Sometimes it takes 20 or so games to get used o a new team,environment,system..ect... As we can see Smith and Soderberg are looking better with each passing game,Eriksson the same. Iginla has looked good all year.

The Bruins are giving up less than 2goals per game. The PP looks much better and they have more depth at the fwd & D position than they have probably ever had.

My only concern is if Tuukka get injured.

Hawks, Sharks, Ducks, Blues are the better ones that keep coming at you in waves so far this year ..I'm not saying there perfect, they do have off games but most nights they bring a full 60

I'm not knocking individuals cause the blame is shared and if we didn't have Tukkaa everyone would be talking about this IMO

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Well..I don't mean the shootout results in a better game, but if it brings on more fans, that leads to more kids interested in playing, leading to more athletes to choose from.

If a kid picks up a hockey stick because he saw something filthy that Datsyuk did in a shootout, it is a win for the NHL. As much as I dislike the shootout, I'm not afraid to admit when I'm looking for a youtube hockey fix...first I go to Dafoomie's page for the classics...second I'll go look at shootout goals from the guys like Kane, Datsyuk, Giroux, etc.

Here's a question that I'd be curious to see a poll around the NHL and around fans. What is preferable, staged fights or shootouts?

Oooohhh...isn't there another option?

Like a root-canal? :laugh:

I kid, but it's an interesting question.

As for the shootout, I hate it, but some people like it. My point was, it's more likely that new fans would like and I wonder if the league would be hesitant to do away with if for that reason..

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Got home at 12:30, then got up and went to see Catching Fire, so I haven't looked at the GT, but that was one of the best games I've witnessed in a long time. Some thoughts:

Nice to see Marchand playing better. He was skating well and not hesitating.

Great shot by Soderberg on his goal. Stayed cool and picked his spot. He's got a big, rugged frame and he's learning how to use it to good effect.

So happy for Soupy that he scored. He looked so relieved.

Major props to Kevan Miller for playing very well in his NHL debut. No panic in his game, and he kept it effectively simple.

Poor Tuukka on that fluke goal. He looked like a man with wet hands trying to pick up a piece of soap. He was furious with himself.

It would have been appropriate for that game to have ended in a tie, because both teams played very well.

Sobotka threw a couple of nice hits. :)

Overall, just a great game to watch. When the Bruins are hitting on all cylinders against a worthy opponent, they are awesome.

BergyWho37

Jun 18, 2012
True North
Last night was the first full 60+ minute effort by this squad, so I am a little surprised by the timing of these comments. That being said, there have been moments this season when team came out slow or couldn't finish. I wouldn't get too bent out of shape though. Look at the standings. The B's are at the top of the East and haven't even begun to run on all cylinders.

The top line is playing as they should...Lucic is playing better than I have seen him play in a long time.

The Second Line in still finding its rhythm. I don't think they should be split up (Eriksson is coming along and bergy has 5 pts in last 6gms). It all comes down to Marchy. He needs to settle down and play his game. Quit making the same mistakes, bring back the feisty and shoot as often as possible.

The third line is great and getting even better as the yeti continues to find his game.

The Merlot line is almost there.

On Defense...what can you say? Two of our stalwarts are out and it's hard to see the difference. Boychuk is the only guy who needs to make improvements.

So, to me...there is room for improvement, but certainly last nights effort is an indication the Bruins are heading in the right direction.

Yes probably our closes to 60min so far maybe even the pens game too ..

You've made good points and it could be a more time thing but this was creeping into are game last year almost cost us a series against Toronto.

It's a speed / aggressive / win puck battles / heart .. I'm not saying we don't have this but we need to show more of it and we'd dominate the NHL

Last edited:

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
when we had season tickets we would always leave after overtime.
we were just about in the car by the end of the shootout. Was always nice to beat the traffic out of there on shootout nites.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
The shootout stinks as much as the $38 they charge to park at the TD Garden…almost.

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
The NHL uses the shootout to break ties, not to introduce new fans to the excitement of a skills exhibition. If anything, it's a side effect they are willing to live with.

The problem is breaking ties, or preventing them, or living with them. That's the problem.

One problem is the point awarded for ending regulation in a tie. You want to see a tie get broken, change how points are awarded. Some ideas:

1. 2 points for an OT win, zero points for an OT loss. If after OT it is still a tie, 1 point (or zero points) to each team.

2. 2 points awarded for regulation win; 1 point awarded for an OT win; zero points for a loss, regardless. In the case of a tie at the end of OT, 1 (or zero) for each team.

3. Do like baseball and keep going. Play indefinitely until someone scores.

The problem with #3 there is that hockey is about 400x more physically taxing than baseball. The two sports are practically polar opposites.

A baseball game can go 18 innings (tantamount to two full games) and see the players no worse for the wear, aside from some pitchers. The only difference is they marched out onto the field twice as many times as normal and took twice as many at-bats as normal.

Hockey could not be more different. A double, triple OT game leaves players dead tired and physically spent... players who may possibly have to travel to play another game the next day/night.

There is just too much parity in the NHL and too many games would result in ties. It is human nature, when watching a competitive sport, to want a clear-cut winner and loser. After all, isn't that the whole point of competition??

I respect the purist's point of view, but i also don't mind seeing the NHL making moves that can increase the game's marketability and expand hockey's fanbase.

I've said it before but it is worth repeating. More fans = more revenue = higher salary caps = higher quality rosters with more skill = better games.

This is why i don't mind that the NHL is, in some ways, catering to the borderline-fans out there. They know they have fans like the people posting on HF forums regardless, so they want to market the sport to the casual fan.

Some of the changes they've made i like, some not so much. As long as they don't go tooo far catering to casual fans i see it is a good thing, overall.

I always hated the former 2-line-pass infraction, so i loved when they removed that stupid rule. And i don't mind hybrid icing, even if i am NOT in love with it... i'm ambivalent because i understand the rationale behind protecting the players.

Touch icing leads to dangerous situations, and hybrid icing is still far superior to automatic icing. I'm not exactly in love with shootouts either, but i don't hate them as much as some others who post on this forum.

I like the points system that Mr. Make Believe once brought up (or quoted from someone else, i forgot)...

3 points for regulation wins (or possibly OT wins as well)
2 points for shootout wins (and/or OT wins... depending on the above)
1 point for a shootout loss

The main point behind awarding 3 points to regulation (and/or OT wins, depending on preference), is so that the NHL can still award a point to teams that end a game + OT tied-up... ensuring that such teams don't come out empty-handed as a direct result of a skills competition (shootout).

With the aforementioned points system, at least teams that lose via shootout still can earn that consolation or "loser" point... only in THAT point system the loser/consolation point does not carry the same weight in the standings as it currently does.

A 3/2/1 system is the best, IMO. Still awards a point for shootout losses, but minimizes the effect those shootout losses have in terms of standings. Assuming the shootout is here to stay, this is the best way moving forward.

I hope they adopt 3/2/1 in the future!!

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Marchand not getting enough love here. He looked vastly improved last night. Looks like he got the velcro back on his stick.

I thought Brad looked good. He is getting his swagger back which is great to see.

Last edited:

qc

Aug 23, 2011
I guess I am the only person in America that didn't mind choosing Kelly?

I didn't really mind it either. I was a bit surprised to see him out there, but it's not like Clode picks his shooters based on point totals. An argument could be made for choosing Yeti over Kelly, but I don't think much about it either way. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad