Post-Game Talk: GM 2: Sharks def. Canucks 3-2 in OT - Lead series 2-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henrik To Daniel

Jun 16, 2012
Burnaby
We had two pressing needs, first and most importantly we needed a centre. Then it would of been nice to pick up a top 6 winger.

You always are looking for defensive depth and upgrades on your fourth line, but to imply that they are even remotely as important as our top 2 needs is ridiculous

This team's biggest need was scoring help and Gillis "addressed" that need by going out and getting an undersized centre who can't win a faceoff.

And hey look, even after getting a centre this team still can't score.

I am also happy all we lost at or near the deadline was a 2nd and a prospect who probably never sees regular minutes in the NHL. This team has huge issues moving forward and not a lot of depth in prospects. We need all the draft picks we can get. I pray GMMG is willing to make bold moves to get this team younger and move up in the draft. I'm tired of sugar coating it with this team. The Sedin's & CO. have had the window close on them. Their 33 next year and the rest are 30+. This team needs to start looking at what they have moving forward.

That prospect who probably will never see regular minutes in the NHL had 6 points in 9 regular season AHL games with his new team and his currently PPG in the playoffs

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
6 points in 9 games with the Texas Stars.

You might want to check out this guy named Marc-Andre Gragnani. I heard he won the award for the best AHL defenseman and put up close to 1.00 PPG AHL seasons at the same age as Connauton. Sounds like a great prospect.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
We don't have as good of a prospect pool as the Pens and can't afford to deal them. Simple stuff

Connauton took a huge step back this year and I don't know if be will ever become a regular, and doubt he turns out as he is projected.

Keep in mind Connauton played under Arniel's staff whom is just terrible. They've done a terrible job with pretty much all of our d prospects on the wolves. Polask and Suave too a step back too. The guy made the allstar team last year to end up playing like this.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
We don't have as good of a prospect pool as the Pens and can't afford to deal them. Simple stuff

Connauton took a huge step back this year and I don't know if be will ever become a regular, and doubt he turns out as he is projected.

Well I think we should have made the deal. I think despite the off year he WILL turn our...but not as WE projected.

You look at Dallas, they can afford to have a young offensive kid on the back end. The problem is that we were trying to make him into a more balanced player. That may or may not ever happen, but there are teams like the Stars who can live with that on their NHL roster.

There are lots of UFA's in the next two years, we can turn around the forward corp at the drop of a dime although it will cost us a pretty penny. My bigger concern is that while we have developed defensive players into middling offensive production, we have yet to do the opposite.

ValidVick*

You might want to check out this guy named Marc-Andre Gragnani. I heard he won the award for the best AHL defenseman and put up close to 1.00 PPG AHL seasons at the same age as Connauton. Sounds like a great prospect.

So you're immediately writing Connauton off because he's looking like MAG? Brendan Dillon was putting up 14 points in 37 games while being a lower +- than Connauton and made the NHL and is in the running for the Calder.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Yup, same. I'd give this core one more run over a new coach without changing anything and if they fail again, blow things up and get young.

I'm way beyond that point. Waiting another year puts us in CGY Flame territory in that the return value for our top players is that much less. Do it now and actually get value back. Another year puts the Sedin's at 34yrs old and chances are their productivity falls even more then it has. Now is the time for bold moves. Waiting to do what needs to be done is what got CGY in the position they are in. Their future looks like garbage. No way I want to endure what that fan base is in for.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
So you're immediately writing Connauton off because he's looking like MAG? Brendan Dillon was putting up 14 points in 37 games while being a lower +- than Connauton and made the NHL and is in the running for the Calder.

I'm writing off Connauton because I watched him for 3 seasons now and don't just look at his points on a new team and declare him a good prospect.

Brendan Dillon is not an offensive defenseman with low hockey IQ. The fact is that even if Corrado carves out some sort of an NHL career, this team is stacked with much better D prospects (Corrado, Tanev, Price, McNally, etc.). People love to hate Bieksa around here —*Connauton is ten times worse in the hockey IQ and brain fart department with less offensive pay off (and no leadership, etc.).

Henrik To Daniel

Jun 16, 2012
Burnaby
The problem with trading the Sedins if you have to trade both of them which is a tough pill to swallow for a lot of teams at a combined cap hit of over 12 million

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010

who cares about brendan dillon

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
That prospect who probably will never see regular minutes in the NHL had 6 points in 9 regular season AHL games with his new team and his currently PPG in the playoffs

Give me a break. Big Whoop. 9 games does not make a career. That player will never be anything of significance in the NHL. He'll be a journeyman Dman, a call up guy, bank on it.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
This team's biggest need was scoring help and Gillis "addressed" that need by going out and getting an undersized centre who can't win a faceoff.

And hey look, even after getting a centre this team still can't score.

this is on our core players, you think if we had used our second on Torres we would be scoring a bunch more goal? They are complimentary players, put them with talent and they will do well, put them with crap and they will disappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad