Pre-Game Talk: GM 15: Vancouver Canucks @ Chicago Blackhawks - Feb 19 - 5:30PM PST - SPAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Vancouver Canucks @ Chicago Blackhawks

Canucks' Record: 8-3-3 @ Blackhawks' Record: 12-0-3

WHEN: Tuesday, February 19, 2013
WHERE: United Center, Chicago, IL
TV: Sportsnet Pacific
RADIO: TEAM 1040

Vancouver Canucks' Starting Lineup: (unconfirmed)
D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Kesler - Kassian
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Weise - Lapierre - Volpatti

Bieksa - Garrison
Hamhuis - Edler
Ballard - Tanev

Schneider

Chicago Blackhawks' Lineup:
To Be Posted.

Game Notes:
- The Blackhawks will be looking to tie a franchise record best start to a season in this game with a victory.
- The Canucks have placed F Andrew Ebbett on waivers, leading to speculation that F David Booth will return from injury.

The Last Meeting:

Hawk Killers:
Daniel Sedin - 44GP, 14G, 26A, 40Pts
Henrik Sedin - 43GP, 13G, 26A, 39Pts
Alexander Edler - 21GP, 2G, 11A, 13Pts

Canuck Killers:
Jonathan Toews - 20GP, 5G, 10A, 15Pts
Patrick Kane - 21GP, 8G, 9A, 17Pts
Patrick Sharp - 25GP, 8G, 5A, 13Pts

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
And Schroeder stays! :handclap: :handclap: :handclap: And there was much rejoicing.

Good game for Booth to come back. We'll need his willingness to drive to the net in this one.

I honestly don't think there was any risk of Schroeder being sent down. He has earned a spot in the NHL.

Kassian on the other hand has been very inconsistent (as advertised). :laugh:
Last night he was playing like he wanted to be sent to the AHL.

Dado

This should be fun! Looking forward to it.

Schneider confirmed as the starter?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I would start Booth in favour of Volpatti. Weise stays. Allows booth to work his way up. Kassian shouldn't be demoted to the 4th line after 1 poor game. The lowest he should drop is to the 3rd.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
First time in forever that we'll be able to see Vancouver play with 4 legit forward lines. Really curious to see how opposing teams will handle the speed, size, and skill AV has to play with.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Pretty sure Kassian has run out of energy, at least mentally. The condensed schedule is likely not helping.

I also think that now is when all the rust has shaken loose from the players that didn't play during the lockout. You're seeing things level off. Now, the rookies will have to find a way to adjust.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
This should be fun! Looking forward to it.

Schneider confirmed as the starter?

Not confirmed yet, and I'm not so sure he will...Luongo's past performances in Chicago could tilt this in his favour. Neither goaltender was bad in their last appearance, but both admitted to letting in goals they should have stopped.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Also, some fightin' words from Captain Hank:

Sportsnet Pacific‏@SNETPacific
Henrik Sedin last night post - "We were all watching the Chicago game hoping they won so we could be the team that beats them." #Canucks
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I also think that now is when all the rust has shaken loose from the players that didn't play during the lockout. You're seeing things level off. Now, the rookies will have to find a way to adjust.

I don't know. I'm seeing him playing worse, not others playing better. He's not moving his feet as well, not finishing his checks as well. Taking an extra second to make decisions.

By comparison Schroeder has actually been looking better offensively and moving the puck faster compared to how he was earlier in the season.

IMO this is all mental on Kassian's part, rather than an issue of being tired physically. He's not to the point yet where all of the things he has to do (hit, fight, defense, scoring, passing, etc.) are coming naturally and the amount of stuff to process has overwhelmed him.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
^Agreed on both counts; Schroeder is looking a lot more confident with the puck. Whereas in his first few games he was purely concerned with making the safe play and quickly getting the puck out of danger, he's not afraid to make a move or two to free up some space and open up some plays now.

That line of Raymond/Schroeder/Hansen has been really tough to handle in the offensive zone as well, with their speed.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
And here's another question - who sits with Booth's return?

The likely candidate is one of Volpatti or Weise. Given that Weise was the one who got promoted in Kassian's stay last night, you'd think Volpatti would be the likely suspect. But IMO, he's a more effective hitter/fighter, and could be useful to have around if the Hawks decide they want to be ornery in this game.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I don't know. I'm seeing him playing worse, not others playing better. He's not moving his feet as well, not finishing his checks as well. Taking an extra second to make decisions.

By comparison Schroeder has actually been looking better offensively and moving the puck faster compared to how he was earlier in the season.

IMO this is all mental on Kassian's part, rather than an issue of being tired physically. He's not to the point yet where all of the things he has to do (hit, fight, defense, scoring, passing, etc.) are coming naturally and the amount of stuff to process has overwhelmed him.

I don't disagree, but I think the systems play around the league getting tighter has contributed. Most teams have cleaned up the mistakes due to rust. Found their legs. So the margins for error are less than they were. It only makes it harder to process the game for certain types. Some that battle consistency normally would play right into it.

Schroeder's high hockey IQ is on full display. He's able to continually make those adjustments, even with the tighter systems play. Good on him.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I would start Booth in favour of Volpatti. Weise stays. Allows booth to work his way up. Kassian shouldn't be demoted to the 4th line after 1 poor game. The lowest he should drop is to the 3rd.

I dunno, Volpatti is a better fighter than Weise imo and this game might need that, also their play recently has been about equal as Weise's Gretzkyness has seemed to wear off.

Although this may of been Kassian's first bad game, he hasn't looked good in a while, no sense in demoting a guy like Higgins who is playing better ATM. Your spot should be earned based on how well you are playing.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
And here's another question - who sits with Booth's return?

The likely candidate is one of Volpatti or Weise. Given that Weise was the one who got promoted in Kassian's stay last night, you'd think Volpatti would be the likely suspect. But IMO, he's a more effective hitter/fighter, and could be useful to have around if the Hawks decide they want to be ornery in this game.

Im agree with Volpatti over Weise, he seems like a more effective fourth liner, even if he isn't as good of a player if that makes any sense.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Cockyish. I like this. Now he just needs to follow through and win.

As long as he comes with a huge effort and takes responsibility no matter what the concequence, I like these types of comments. Gotta back up this kind of talk :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad