Pre-Game Talk: [GM 12] Canucks vs. Predators | Sat., Nov. 5th, 7pm, CBC/SN360 | Reserving for Ginger Papa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
WHEN: November 5th, 7:00PM PST

WHERE: Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC
TV: CBC/Sportsnet 360
RADIO: Sportsnet 650

Canucks Line-Up:

Hoglander-Horvat-Miller
Mikheyev-Pettersson-Kuzmenko
Pearson-Dries-Garland/Boeser
Joshua/Podkolzin-Aman-Studnicka

Hughes-Schenn
Stillman-Myers
OEL-Bear

???

Predators Line-Up:

???-???-???
???-???-???
???-???-???
???-???-???

???-???
???-???
???-???

???

Last edited:

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
The Bieksa effect:

You would always hear about how hard guys like Luongo, the Sedins, and Kesler worked in practice and the off season. When have we ever heard that about Bo, Miller, Brock etc? Petey at least, was working his ass off in training camp. Hopefully Bieksa’s message last more than one Practice

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I was thinking, last night, that both Garland and Hoglander need to start thinking like Mikael Samuelsson. Shoot from everywhere. Hoglander forces so many turnovers then looks to make a pass but waits too long. Garland does the same entry and button hook. If they could start taking low hard shots on net, they'll create so much more chaos.

Garland's shot attempts are down from 4.3/game last year to 2.5/game this year. SOG are down from 2.6 to 1.4.

... and so it is the wrist. Was reported as a 'hand injury' at the time.

Not good news as this is basically a chronic problem at this point. A broken finger or something would have been far better.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Mikheyev looks far better there than Hoglander.
I have not been impressed.

Last game was the first time he was able to connect a pass in the offensive zone on that line...

Garland's shot attempts are down from 4.3/game last year to 2.5/game this year. SOG are down from 2.6 to 1.4.

Not good news as this is basically a chronic problem at this point. A broken finger or something would have been far better.
It can be, but we don't know that just based on this.

Can you imagine if we got rid of Myers and OEL? We'd still have the same level of defense with an extra 14 million or so to play with!
whoops-whoopsie.gif

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I was thinking, last night, that both Garland and Hoglander need to start thinking like Mikael Samuelsson. Shoot from everywhere. Hoglander forces so many turnovers then looks to make a pass but waits too long. Garland does the same entry and button hook. If they could start taking low hard shots on net, they'll create so much more chaos.
Now that you mention it I think thats how ive been meaning to describe these two guys so far this season, and Hoglander even back to last season. They both force a lot of turnovers but do jackshit with the puck in the o zone which is always a let down

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
You would always hear about how hard guys like Luongo, the Sedins, and Kesler worked in practice and the off season. When have we ever heard that about Bo, Miller, Brock etc? Petey at least, was working his ass off in training camp. Hopefully Bieksa’s message last more than one Practice
Loui Eriksson worked his ass off.......to be the last person on the ice (and the first person off). You don't realize how much energy that requires.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

The hit by Islander Cal Clutterbuck broke the transverse process on Boeser’s L4 vertebrae. A transverse process is a bony spur that projects off the side of each vertebrae. The Canucks announced the next day that Boeser should recover in 4-6 weeks.

The scoring star from Burnsville, Minn., and the University of North Dakota said Wednesday that his recovery is on schedule. He also said a lingering injury of his wrist, which Boeser jammed Feb. 8 in Tampa but caused him to miss only one game, will not require surgery.

“It’s the same wrist but a different injury,” Boeser said, adding that his wrist should require only a PRP (platelet-rich plasma) injection and four weeks of immobilization.

His whole injury history is just weird and it's always downplayed. He really lost some mobility after that back/hip injury. His wrists are clearly mangled beyond repair with all these weird chronic issues that keep resurfacing every season.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
The Bieksa effect:

This is hilarious. And wild. And strange. I liked Bieksa's talk, but it's interesting to consider how he came up with those words, because they only make sense if he assumed that it was something the team needed to hear. Can you imagine a retired player saying something like that in the Tampa dressing room? In Boston?

I wonder whether he ran his speech by Boudreau, or anybody, and they said something to the effect of "yes, please, God, please say that."

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is hilarious. And wild. And strange. I liked Bieksa's talk, but it's interesting to consider how he came up with those words, because they only make sense if he assumed that it was something the team needed to hear. Can you imagine a retired player saying something like that in the Tampa dressing room? In Boston?

I wonder whether he ran his speech by Boudreau, or anybody, and they said something to the effect of "yes, please, God, please say that."

I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC

His whole injury history is just weird and it's always downplayed. He really lost some mobility after that back/hip injury. His wrists are clearly mangled beyond repair with all these weird chronic issues that keep resurfacing every season.

f***ing Virtanen left the gate open.

The worst thing that ever happened to this core.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I’d put money on it that the defensive metrics wouldn’t change

Then weaponize that cap space

I’m convinced that Burroughs could adequately replace either of them. Would still require two full-time guys next season but weaponizing that cap space is the whole point.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Stillman is literally their 4th best option for that spot.

Burroughs should be there. Or Rathbone. Or even Brisebois played far better in his games than Stillman has.

It's absolutely baffling.
Auditionng, can't trade someone sitting on the bench or evaluate IF the team CAN play without OEL or Myers, last year they lost when Myers was out, not quite as bad as when Tanev was out but still.
Can you imagine if we got rid of Myers and OEL? We'd still have the same level of defense with an extra 14 million or so to play with!
I get it you hate them, OEL's contract and what it cost the team will always be a bone of contention AND his game is regressing. If they did get "rid" of OEL there is no way the team can without paying a price.

Who would play with Hughes and take all the crap for mistakes Hughes creates if not Myers.

I doubt Bruce had to say a thing, it has been pretty well known for a couple of years that the room had a schism and was divided.

Versus the Preds, they came back from Europe and sucked for 3 weeks now they are starting to recover.

I doubt the game will be another pond hockey affair.

I wonder how many goalie interferences will be allowed, that was clearly interference.

Preds are a decent team better than their record, I think it is a loss

BTW .500 points percentage at US Thanksgiving is NOT the bar, playoff position is.

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018

I would guess the team asked him to talk about his team’s culture.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I dont think Bieksa would need to be coached or asked about what he would say. He's keenly aware of the issues with this team. He was the person who described this team as "gracious losers"

Bieksa took the opportunity to offer some sage advice to a team that needed it

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Sinistril

Oct 26, 2008
Both goalies have to be better..Even though we won last night, I dont believe that Martin can be happy with some of those he conceded.

You have to think this won't last long and the Canucks should quickly vault into a playoff position once the numbers average out. Considering how awful those numbers are, this is likely the low point of the season... and luckily most of those lost games were not against division rivals

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad