Post-Game Talk: GM 1 | Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers | Oilers Win 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
One thing the Canucks need to work on, ..is the PP.....Having 5 guys standing in one spot, isnt going to fly....Compare that with the fluidity and mobility of the Oilers PP.
The pk (and overall d strategy in our own end) bothers me too, in that other teams like Vegas have the forwards aggressively pursue puck carriers to force mistakes and limit time and room. We often give them opposing team more time and space than they give us, which is what results in such a tilted ice at times and the long shifts where we get caved in.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Game 1 Report Card

Offence: C
Defence: B+
Goaltending: A-
PP: C
PK: B-
Coaching: D

Both goals scored by defencemen on seeing eye shots, need to generate more offensively.
Since when is PK operating at 50% worth a B-. Discipline to avoid the box B-, actual killing of the penalties D-.

Marube

Oct 13, 2021
I am not sure what Green was thinking last night, the lines were horrible. I would like to see Hoglander and Garland with Pettersson. Both those wingers play well above their size and are excellent at puck retrieval, when you combine that with EPs ability to anticipate exit passes and the other team will never get the puck out of the defensive zone.

Pearson is not a top six player.

Why stick with the line make up from a failure of a season last year?

Hoglander-Pettersson-Garland
Miller-Horvat-Boeser
Pearson-Dickinson-Podkolzin
Highmore-Lammikko-Chiasson

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Does anybody know what D pairing Hog was up against mostly lastnite?

I wonder if Green is keeping him on the 4th line because he faces the 3rd pairing and can have more opportunities as opposed to facing the 1st pairing?

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Fixed..

PP: C-
PK: D

Both goals scored by defencemen on seeing eye shots, need to generate more offensively. Special teams must be better.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hoglander is going to be something.....plays the game with a chip on his shoulder, almost as if he's vowing to prove people wrong.

A first round talent who fell into the second round because of concerns about his size, shot, physicality, you name it. No one was expecting him to make it out of training camp last season.

But he's a supremely talented kid who plays the game with a relentlessness and a brashness, that's refreshing. All those lacrosse-style goals tell you he's not afraid to try anything out there.

The only thing you might quibble about is his separation speed.....But based on the opener, even that concern will soon go away. He looks to be a step quicker this year, and he's becoming the straw that stirs the drink on whatever line he lands on.

Going to be a fun player to watch, moving forward.

Reactions: Jimnastic

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
I have been critical of posters who just harp on about Benning and Green. OEL (though it was done with much the same thought process that was used to land Louie) looks like a great trade. It is always easier to suggest better ways of coaching when you are doing it from the bleachers.

However, every single one of your thoughts exactly resonates with mine. And it simply seems bloody obvious.

When we get BB back we should be deadly. Damn Hogs looks great. And Rathbone and Burroughs were awesome.

I thought the only question mark for this team was the defence. Damn, they looked solid against the best offensive line in the league.

One other note. EP40 was up against McDri several times and their line outplayed them, particularly at the start of the game. I thought EP40 was solid considering Miller had one of his horrible games and Chaisson was barely okay.
Thank you for the comments. I have played the game competitively so i am speaking from a non couch potato perspective .

I think EP was fine (as usual), the d was very strong and frankly we gifted 1 powerplay and had a Chiasson missed check that caused another goal

i dont hate JB but he has made some bad signings ….. pearson, Chiasson, loui and he hired 2 woefully under qualified head caoches

green on the other hand needs to go. The roster and talent has outgrown him

Reactions: Marube

Marube

Oct 13, 2021
Thank you for the comments. I have played the game competitively so i am speaking from a non couch potato perspective .

I think EP was fine (as usual), the d was very strong and frankly we gifted 1 powerplay and had a Chiasson missed check that caused another goal

i dont hate JB but he has made some bad signings ….. pearson, Chiasson, loui and he hired 2 woefully under qualified head caoches

It seems like Green is too attached to decisions he made in previous seasons. He has not grown with the team. He need to find a new gig and get a fresh start and JB needs to bring in a QUALIFIED fresh set of eyes.

Jimnastic

Canucks Diehard
Nov 13, 2017
Sydney

Based on his line assembly yesterday (for the first time) I will have to say I agree.

Reactions: CherryToke

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Free advice to our incompetent coach:

- bury Chiasson on the 4 th line
- get Chiasson off the pp
- move Pearson to 3rd line
- move hogs into Pearson’s spot
- move podz into Chiasson’s spot
- move Hogs to pp 1
- move podz to pp2
- get out of the basic static penalty kill 4 man box and pressure the puck
- learn to count to 5

pretty basic and obvious stuff to most people not named Green

moving pearson makes no sense to me. horvat and pearson are about the only forwards playing with familiarity and chemistry, and pearson gives horvat a wingman to go help him perform tasks n stuff. that is not a bromance i would mess with.

ep and miller i would leave alone for now, since i think it will keep miller honest and ep protected. or maybe try miller at centre, but not on any other wing until he gets his act together.

i would say the resting place of boeser, hoglander and garland is tbd. it is not unreasonable to want three scoring lines. it is also unreasonable to deny pettersson two scoring wingers. that maybe leaves horvat with dickinson for now.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
moving pearson makes no sense to me. horvat and pearson are about the only forwards playing with familiarity and chemistry, and pearson gives horvat a wingman to go help him perform tasks n stuff. that is not a bromance i would mess with.

ep and miller i would leave alone for now, since i think it will keep miller honest and ep protected. or maybe try miller at centre, but not on any other wing until he gets his act together.

i would say the resting place of boeser, hoglander and garland is tbd. it is not unreasonable to want three scoring lines. it is also unreasonable to deny pettersson two scoring wingers. that maybe leaves horvat with dickinson for now.

I don't think Green has figured out what to do with Garland.

Going with this as two stacked lines works :

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser
Hoglander-Horvat-Pearson

... but then you have Garland sitting on a 3rd line next to Dickinson and that is just a terrible match. So he tried putting Garland with Horvat, and that isn't really a fit either.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
I don't think Green has figured out what to do with Garland.

Going with this as two stacked lines works :

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser
Hoglander-Horvat-Pearson

... but then you have Garland sitting on a 3rd line next to Dickinson and that is just a terrible match. So he tried putting Garland with Horvat, and that isn't really a fit either.

Miller-Pettersson-Garland
Hoglander-Horvat-Boeser

It's so easy.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021

Pearson is slowing Bo down. Last season when Hogs was with them Pearson was always behind the play. He just is not a top 6 guy, unfortunately is being paid as one

i like Dickinson but in a fourth line role only

Last edited:
Reactions: B-rock

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
It seems like Green is too attached to decisions he made in previous seasons. He has not grown with the team. He need to find a new gig and get a fresh start and JB needs to bring in a QUALIFIED fresh set of eyes.
Amen

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
This needs the forward lineup:

1) Miller, EP, Boeser
2) Hogs, Bo, Garland
3) Podz, Dickinson, Pearson
4) Highmore, Juho, Dowling/Petan/Chiasson

pp1 EP, Miller, Bo, Hogs, OEL

Reactions: Marube

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Wow..........our Giraffe bought himself a lot of good will in my books after what he did to Keith last night.............of all the people to do it to he more than had it coming for that BS he did to Daniel in 2012.

Like that really was the highlight of last night for me..............

Looks at the calendar and yes it's 2021 but someone else will chime in when we play the bruins no doubt......

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Game 1 Report Card

PP: C-
PK: C-

Both goals scored by defencemen on seeing eye shots, need to generate more offensively.

Agree but it's pretty hard to get a read from this (or any team) after just one game but glad that we got the point.

Hopefully the road trip against some "weak" teams our weaknesses will become better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad