Friedman: GM’s Believe Florida Will Strongly Consider Breaking Up Their Core

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
From 31 Thoughts

6. When NHL.com’s Nick Cotsonika asked Dale Tallon how the Florida GM felt leaving the BB&T Centre after Sunday’s 3–0 loss to Calgary, Tallon replied, “I was pissed,” adding the Panthers haven’t been the same since a 4–0 defeat in Montreal on Feb. 1. (They are 5-9-2 since.) If Tallon is upset, you can only imagine how owner Vinny Viola feels. Viola dropped more than $100 million — from Sergei Bobrovsky to Joel Quenneville to Anton Stralman, etc. — and while attendance figures have increased a bit, it is still under 14,000 per game. The Panthers are in danger of missing the playoffs for the fourth straight season, and the question being asked is, “What are the consequences?” The are many potential changes on and off the ice, but what has other GMs buzzing is a belief the Panthers will strongly consider breaking up their core because the mix hasn’t worked. Was the Vincent Trocheck deal just the tip of the iceberg?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
They may move on from players, but not their core. Their core is basically just Huberdeau, Barkov and Ekblad. The other major pieces were just add-ons.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
As an Arizona fan, I can understand how the Panthers feel. Similar issues.

It feels very much like the core in Arizona is also failing. They brought in Kessel and Hall and aren't scoring any more goals than they did last year without Kessel and Hall. This year's team was upgraded across the board compared to last season's and the results are the same. I think both teams could use a major shake-up. As a result, I wonder if they might be a good match for change-of-scenery trades.

The Arizona beat-writer for the Coyotes at The Athletic, Craig Morgan, has stated emphatically on numerous occasions that Arizona was definitely in on the Trochek sweepstakes. So the two teams have had recent and serious trade discussions about core pieces already.

If they miss the playoffs, I could see Arizona considering seriously moving on from 2-3 of Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Alex Goligoski, Jason Demers, Derek Stepan, and/or Phil Kessel. Perhaps there is a fit for one or two of those names in Florida, with some core Panthers pieces coming back the other way. OEL is obviously the big-fish in that group. But I know that Joel Quenneville is also a huge fan of Niklas Hjalmarsson. So perhaps there could be something there, as well.

If Arizona misses the playoffs, and if Taylor Hall walks (which is likely if they miss), I fully expect them to fire their coaching staff, and look to make major shake-up trades. I could absolutely see OEL being a candidate in that. With Tocchet gone, Kessel would likely be open to waiving his NMC. I could see some salary retention options on some of the shorter veteran deals like Kessel, Stepan, Goligoski, etc.

Sorry for the long, rambling post about Arizona in the Florida thread. But I think both teams are at a cross-roads and might be in a position to pull off a blockbuster style trade with each other to really shake things up.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
tenor.gif

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Roster is sound, GM is better than people give credit for, the HC is the problem. Not enough buy in for what should be a dangerous roster to play against. Coach Q is not the same as he was in days past and isn't the right coach for this core anyway.

Reactions: Pepe Cahones

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
Theres some good pieces there :nod: Getting Huby would be excellent. I actually like Matheson too.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Tallon's one of the biggest con artists in the league. He's well on his way to doing the exact same thing to 2 straight organizations; got lucky high in the draft with lotto picks, and then burned away the future with terrible long term signings. The Panthers need a Bowman to come in and work his magic, because that team has issues and problems up and down that lineup.

Here's the good news though for Tallon: Driedger is back. If he can play like they did before his injury, and they actually play him over Bob, they could MAYBE salvage this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad