Equipment: Glove Durability

BryzsCSteak

Sep 16, 2014
Braunschweig
www.facebook.com
I started playing hockey again last season and got some cheap Bauer gloves that turned out to be... let's say not good at all. So, during a trip to the US last spring I seized the opportunity to actually go to a hockey shop and try on a few others (barely a chance to do that here) and found a pair of Easton Synergy 80s.
While I love the fit it's really annoying that now, after half a season of playing once or twice a week (didn't start using them til this season), there's already a hole in the thumb of my top hand glove (the right one). Funny enough, the Bauer ones lasted an entire season with barely any signs of wear on the palms or fingers.
Basically, I got three questions:
- Is there a way to prevent this? I tape my stick at the top and thought about removing that save for the taped knob.
- Is there a way to save the damn thing now? Like I said, I love the fit and the holes are really small at this point. The gloves are absolutely fine in every other regard.
- What brands/models are known to have durable palms? Just so I know for my next purchase.

Hope you guys can help me with an answer or two :)

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
I don't have much of a problem with palm wear for two reasons. One is that I switched to Tacki Mac grips about eight years ago. I use the "wrapped" textured grip on all of my sticks and don't really notice the difference between that and tape other than it's not sticky. Some people say they find the Tacki Macs too thick. I don't, and even if I did the extra thickness is an acceptable trade off for dramatically increasing the life of my palms (http://www.tackimac.com). The other reason, and probably the most important, is that I dry my gloves completely before putting them away. Not only does drying your gloves thoroughly prevent them from smelling, it also prevents them from breaking down prematurely (same with skates).

There are a couple of different products out there that can help to repair or patch existing holes, but I don't have any experience with them (, http://www.thepalmsaver.com/
http://www.padskinz.ca). However, these are not really a long-term solution in my opinion.

As far as gloves that are known for palm durability, I don't really know of any. In my opinion, stock palms are not really built to last. I can't really recommend any for their durability, but I would say stay away from Warrior if that's what you are looking for. I love Warrior gloves and their stock palms have a nice feel to them, but they are thin and start pilling immediately.

Hopefully this is of some help to you.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
You may as well copy and paste leftwinger's post in here, because I wanted to say the exact same things!

I suggest looking for pro stock gloves, as they tend to have more durable (and imo, for the most part), more comfortable palms.

BryzsCSteak

Sep 16, 2014
Braunschweig
www.facebook.com
Thanks for the answers so far, guys!
I read about the Palmsaver but wasn't sure what to think about it. If they ship to Germany, I might give it a shot to try and save the current pair.
Pro stock might be hard to come by here, but I'll keep my eyes open for my next pair.

Still, if anyone else has got any advice on this, I'd be happy to read it.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I've heard that some pro shops can re-palm gloves with new material to save the rest of the glove if it's still in good shape otherwise. I've never gotten it done myself, and probably wouldn't trust any pro shops in Arizona to do it (and you probably won't have any luck over in Germany either).

Logically speaking I can't imagine there's a whole lot you can do with your stick to protect the gloves against wear without losing grip as a tradeoff, since grip is synonymous with friction, and I'd imagine that friction between your stick/stick tape is also what puts wear on the glove's palm material.

Personally I've had a pair of Bauer Vapor Xlite gloves I found on clearance for 3 seasons now, though I don't get on the ice much as a player these days.

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I just replaced gloves recently (Nexus 800 to 1000) and upgraded in the belief (or hope) rightly or wrongly that they will last longer. The palms are different and seem to have a sort of patch over where they usually wear.

I wonder though when Bauer now have the trigger quick change blade replacement system in their skates why they don't or when they will come out with easy swap out palms that you just swap a part out that just velcros on; because the rest of the glove is usually pristine and lasts and lasts. The technology wouldn't be a problem.

Suppose it's why the don't make light bulbs to last and last because they wanna keep selling them. Certainly swap out palms would be a great innovation.

leftwinger37

Jun 7, 2011
"Great Lakes State"
You may as well copy and paste leftwinger's post in here, because I wanted to say the exact same things!

I suggest looking for pro stock gloves, as they tend to have more durable (and imo, for the most part), more comfortable palms.

Ha, great minds think alike! :D

+1 on the pro palms. My pro CCMs and pro Reeboks have been the longest lasting I have ever owned. Nothing exciting; just regular tan nash, but double thickness.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Ha, great minds think alike! :D

+1 on the pro palms. My pro CCMs and pro Reeboks have been the longest lasting I have ever owned. Nothing exciting; just regular tan nash, but double thickness.

Haha.

Palms don't need to have fancy pads or grip print or multi-colored ivory or 'stretch' gussets, just simple double layered soft nash as you see on pro gloves. Much more durable and comfortable than the bells and whistles you see

BryzsCSteak

Sep 16, 2014
Braunschweig
www.facebook.com
It would be too easy for the manufacturers to just add a second layer I guess. I mean, it can't really be expensive. From a business point of view, it makes sense though, since people need to buy more gloves then.
Having forked over 100 bucks, which ain't exactly peanuts for me, I would expect them to last longer.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
It would be too easy for the manufacturers to just add a second layer I guess. I mean, it can't really be expensive. From a business point of view, it makes sense though, since people need to buy more gloves then.
Having forked over 100 bucks, which ain't exactly peanuts for me, I would expect them to last longer.

It adds another part to cut and another part to stitch. Not really a whole lot of effort, but it does add a step to the manufacturing process and does add to the cost of the glove, and gloves are very labor intensive as is. And a lot of players also prefer thin palms because it gives them better feel for the stick.

I do get your concern though, these things ain't cheap, and repalming costs $60 plus shipping, so that's not cheap either. I'd recommend higher end Mission Fuels, the palms on mine have lasted quite well, but unfortunately, Mission was bought out by Bauer several years ago and they're no longer made.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad