News Article: Globe Sunday Hockey Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
You're a riot. This is the most boring offseason if you're trying to discredit our Swedish scouting ability. :laugh:

I don't like knowing that I watch more hockey than our NHL scout. Do you find that unreasonable? I'm very good at my job, I work smart, and I put in the hours. I want the same thing from my NHL team's scout. I'm not saying he has to physically be in the building for every game he watches. I'm saying, he needs to put in the video time. And documentation, analysis, and follow-up. That's his job. I hope that's what's really happening. The article made it seem like he is only watching a few games a week, and that doesn't sound right. I hope that it's just the wrong impression, or the article is wrong, or that I'm wrong. I really hope I am wrong.

And as far as Swedish scouting, I don't put much stock into the northern European game. I just don't find it to be as competitive as the other leagues.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
What Swedish players are we talking about? And are you giving PJ credit for pasta? Please share your references.

Well...he did play in the Allsvenskan for Sodertalje...which is a Swedish league AND a Swedish team, so I would guess that our Euro scout who is based in SWEDEN and is of SWEDISH descent, probably scouted him. Who else would the credit go to?

From an article in June 2014 by Carolyn Switaj (Bruins.com):

----------
"You have to be good on defense, too. If you want to be a good hockey player you have to play for the team and you don’t play for the team just with scoring," said Pastrnak. "You have to do something on defense, and that’s something like blocking shots."

His willingness to put in the work was apparent to the Bruins' scouting staff. Gretzky and newly appointed Assistant General Manager Scott Bradley, along with scouts Dean Malkoc and PJ Axelsson, saw that commitment firsthand.

"He moved away when he was young; he wanted to be a hockey player," said Gretzky.
---------

When the B's drafted Heinen, the B's Western Canadian scout (Malkoc) got credit for that one. Does it work different in Europe with scouting?

The other two players one would think he had some input on were Johansson (7th Round 2014) who played in the SHL as an 18 yr old last season, and JFK who was in the USHL, but played for Sweden's Junior teams.

It would be more of a stretch to say that he may have clued the B's in on Cehlarik (who played in the SHL PJ's last year) or Arnesson, but it's not completely out of the realm of possibility.

What is your issue with Axelsson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad