News Article: Globe Sunday Hockey Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Most entertaining quote in the article, IMO.

From Stephen Walkom;

"We know the guys that would be good at it. We just needed to get them to try it.â€

Personally, I don't think you do. But this is only based on watching how tragically poor the officiating has become over the past 15-20 years or so.

OutspokenMinority*

Most entertaining quote in the article, IMO.

From Stephen Walkom;

"We know the guys that would be good at it. We just needed to get them to try it.â€

Personally, I don't think you do. But this is only based on watching how tragically poor the officiating has become over the past 15-20 years or so.

that puts us at 1995-2000. was that the golden age of refereeing? if so, how long was that golden age? or was refereeing simply better all the time before that?

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
that puts us at 1995-2000. was that the golden age of refereeing? if so, how long was that golden age? or was refereeing simply better all the time before that?

I'd say the problems started when they went to the 2 referee system. Don't remember exactly when that was. 99?

All I know is that today's referees have no feel for the game at all, and are tremendously over reactive.

They practice too much preventative officiating, and don't allow for the game to flow like it did in the past.

The league has become soft, primarily because of how it is officiated. Now part of the blame must go to league management for that, but still, there are far too many situations over the course of the season where the officials have too big a hand in the outcome of games.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I watch more games than our scout, P.J. Axelsson.

I thought that myself-3 games a week doesn't seem like much.

But do you watch those games the way a scout probably does? I'll bet a scout pays much closer attention to a game than any of us do. Plus a scout is probably watching 3 or 4 particular players that his team is interested in, so there is no point in watching other games if they're not involved.

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
But do you watch those games the way a scout probably does? I'll bet a scout pays much closer attention to a game than any of us do. Plus a scout is probably watching 3 or 4 particular players that his team is interested in, so there is no point in watching other games if they're not involved.

I don't know PJ personally, so I couldn't say. But I do watch with a very analytical eye.

OutspokenMinority*

I'd say the problems started when they went to the 2 referee system. Don't remember exactly when that was. 99?

All I know is that today's referees have no feel for the game at all, and are tremendously over reactive.

They practice too much preventative officiating, and don't allow for the game to flow like it did in the past.

The league has become soft, primarily because of how it is officiated. Now part of the blame must go to league management for that, but still, there are far too many situations over the course of the season where the officials have too big a hand in the outcome of games.

there is no trend in refereeing that is ever anything but the wishes of league management.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I don't know PJ personally, so I couldn't say. But I do watch with a very analytical eye.

I'm not too sure about your abilities as a coach, GM, scout, player, or even water boy, but you are one of the most talented own-horn-blowers I've ever seen. You should be calling Keith Lockhart, not Jeremy Jacobs. :laugh:

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Any players in particular? Honest question, I know we've drafted a lot of Swedes, but not many are making it to the NHL level yet.

Pastrnak is the big one. Though he is a Czech, he played in the same team with Nylander in his draft year. Arnesson just came to Providence this spring. Cehlarik, Blidh and Emil Johansson have shown to be capable players in the highest tier of Swedish hockey system. For just two years and mostly late picks, that's a pretty nice return so far.

Last edited:

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
I thought that myself-3 games a week doesn't seem like much.

170 games is more than 3 games/wk for 52 weeks. It's more like an average of 7 per week in-season, with, I would assume, a good chunk of those being live. If you're going to that many games, I would like your leisure schedule and budget :nod:

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
170 games is more than 3 games/wk for 52 weeks. It's more like an average of 7 per week in-season, with, I would assume, a good chunk of those being live. If you're going to that many games, I would like your leisure schedule and budget :nod:

It's not enough. Consider the time investment players put in to training and actual NHL games. That's more like three games a day, minimum. Plus analysis and data recording.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
There's a reason for that. :nod:

Axelsson started scouting for the B's in Aug 2013, so he's only going into his third season. Pretty hard to make more than an impact than he has in two drafts (Pastrnak, Johansson, JFK this year). The B's drafted two guys from Sweden and one played in the NHL as an 18 yr old rook. This year's Swede came out of the USHL, but I'm sure PJ saw him on the Swedish U18 and 20 teams.

Three games a week (thinking SHL/Allsvenskan) is not that bad, particularly if he has a network of people (coaches, etc) that he uses to narrow down the guys he looks at. If you are smart, you can probably cut down on the leg work a great deal.

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
Axelsson started scouting for the B's in Aug 2013, so he's only going into his third season. Pretty hard to make more than an impact than he has in two drafts (Pastrnak, Johansson, JFK this year). The B's drafted two guys from Sweden and one played in the NHL as an 18 yr old rook. This year's Swede came out of the USHL, but I'm sure PJ saw him on the Swedish U18 and 20 teams.

Three games a week (thinking SHL/Allsvenskan) is not that bad, particularly if he has a network of people (coaches, etc) that he uses to narrow down the guys he looks at. If you are smart, you can probably cut down on the leg work a great deal.

What Swedish players are we talking about? And are you giving PJ credit for pasta? Please share your references.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad