Glide turns when retrieving puck at the boards

night-timer

Apr 26, 2006
Sydney, Australia
I play the right wing. When I scoop the puck out of the boards with my stick, travelling fast, I then do a forward crossover or a glide turn. At higher levels of play, glide turns seem to be favored.

Whilst I can do all these moves, I am looking for a method, technique or advice to give me deeper knee bend on the lead skate. (The back leg is almost straight by comparison.)

A glide turn just seems to leave you less 'tangled up' than a crossover when you're near the boards or scooping up the puck around the back of the goal net. It's also a better stick-handling posture to be in if you want to quickly shoot the puck off for a pass.

It's times like this that I wish I had video footage of my skating to analyze my technique!

What is the weight balance on the glide turn, front (lead) foot is centered on the ball of the foot, while the back leg is weighted towards the heel?

Last edited:

Headcoach

Mar 29, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
www.passthepuck.net
A glide turn just seems to leave you less 'tangled up' than a crossover when you're near the boards or scooping up the puck around the back of the goal net.

I agree with you on this one. Gliding a high speed when you are digging the puck off the board is the way to do it. The major thing is....what you do with the puck, after it is on your stick!

Most players panic and throw the puck away because they are afraid of getting hit. Where the smart thing to do is hold on to the puck for a three second count. This count will give you the time to read and react to the play.

Once you have evaluated the play, then you can make the pass. Oh, by the way, the pass should be tape to tape.

Too many players go to the boards, grab the puck, then make the pass to there team mate in there skates, behind them, too far ahead...etc. Thus causing turn-overs.

Here's a good rule to remember....
The team that controls the puck the most.....wins! The team that has the most turn-overs....loses!

Head coach
www.passthepuck.net

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad