Glenn Anderson

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
After the age of 27, Glenn Anderson's highest point total was 72 points in a season.
And that's still in an offensive era.

His career is a difficult one to judge. As great as he was in the playoffs, I think Esa Tikkanen was just as valuable. But he's not getting into the Hall.

Tikkanen had more overall impact in his career than Anderson ever did, he just didn't have the stats.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Tikkanen had more overall impact in his career than Anderson ever did, he just didn't have the stats.

I disagree with that. Tik can have a case be made for him for the HHOF although several would counter with that, but Anderson was a vital part of 5 Cups. You can't say that about Tik.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I disagree with that. Tik can have a case be made for him for the HHOF although several would counter with that, but Anderson was a vital part of 5 Cups. You can't say that about Tik.

That the problems stats aside it's really debatable on how vital Anderson was to those Cups.

One thing for sure Tik was more valuable in the Rangers Cup than Anderson who was on the end of his career at 33.

I guess his scoring hides the fact that he was never the even the 4th (or 5th which he might have been in one of those years but no one has yet to argue that very well yet).

Bottom line here is that we have a player who was basically washed up by 27 and his peak was during the highest scoring era in NHL on the highest scoring team and he was a support guy.

The only thing that even gets him in the discussion and the Hall was his playoff stats, I doubt we will ever see that combination again a pure perfect storm.

greatgazoo

Jan 26, 2008
Cobourg
SC Finals production during the Oilers dynasty:
Wayne Gretzky 26gp 16g 30a 46pts
Jari Kurri 31 14 24 38
Glenn Anderson 31 14 12 26
Mark Messier 31 9 15 24
Paul Coffey 21 7 15 22

There you can see that Anderson actually outscored Messier in the finals. Now, can we please move on.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
SC Finals production during the Oilers dynasty:
Wayne Gretzky 26gp 16g 30a 46pts
Jari Kurri 31 14 24 38
Glenn Anderson 31 14 12 26
Mark Messier 31 9 15 24
Paul Coffey 21 7 15 22

There you can see that Anderson actually outscored Messier in the finals. Now, can we please move on.

Yes I think we should. The whole debate of "well without his playoff heroics......" yeah so what? So we are judging a player based solely on the regular season now? I can name many players who are in the HHOF because their playoff career put them over the top. Off the top of my head:

Bill Barber, Billy Smith, Grant Fuhr (probably), Joe Mullen even a guy like Turk Broda

And when they get inducted: Gilmour, Vernon, Barrasso and possibly even Forsberg can thank their playoff heroics for making them HHOFers.

My question is, to the people complaining, what is wrong with that?

That the problems stats aside it's really debatable on how vital Anderson was to those Cups.

Read the greatgazoo's post

One thing for sure Tik was more valuable in the Rangers Cup than Anderson who was on the end of his career at 33.

I'll agree with that. Anderson was a shadow of his former self at that time

I guess his scoring hides the fact that he was never the even the 4th (or 5th which he might have been in one of those years but no one has yet to argue that very well yet).

No doubt in my mind Anderson was the best player other than Gretzky in 1987. Could have won the Conn Smythe. Other years he hovered around the 4th or so best. But look at that team.

Bottom line here is that we have a player who was basically washed up by 27 and his peak was during the highest scoring era in NHL on the highest scoring team and he was a support guy.

I disagree. He was superb in the 1990 playoffs. He was integral to the Leafs run in 1993 as well. In the regular season yet he lost a step, maybe he was pacing himself who knows, but even in his last NHL season he still scored a playoff overtime goal. A really crucial one I might add

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad