Gleason to Car for 1.2M?

bluedevil58*

Hi guys,

Canes fan here. Do you feel Gleason is worth 1.2M? I hated Gleason due to his contract but now that contract no longer exists so.....

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Hi guys,

Canes fan here. Do you feel Gleason is worth 1.2M? I hated Gleason due to his contract but now that contract no longer exists so.....

As a Canes fan wouldn't you have a better idea of his value?

IMO, 2m would be fair.

EDIT - Just saw they already signed him for 1.2, so yes he is worth 1.2. Odd question.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think he is. Solid bottom pairing guy. Hard to hate a 1 year deal for that low I would think.

bluedevil58*

I can't talk with other Canes fans. They hate Gleason because of his former contract.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
He's worth that gamble every day of the week. 1 year deal for almost the same amount as what's costing the Leafs in a buyout year. Fantastic value for Carolina.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
So I guess we did buy him out :laugh:

Anyways at that price you can't really go wrong. It's a no risk signing.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
That's a solid contract. When he came here he actually created an impact we were lacking. If not for the collapse he would have been recognized big time by Leaf fans.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
The problem with the leafs is that the team is run by accountants who shuffle contracts around like monopoly cards without much regard or consideration for the players hockey value.

It's obvious that ownership has imposed a cap which is below $69 mil this season.

That means that without a true #1C or #1D they need to win by committee and outwork their opponents.

The problem is that while coach randy preaches hard work he often rewards his favourites with bigger contracts undue ice time. aka Clarkson

If players on this team were evaluated based on merit then Phaneuf and Franson would both be gone.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The problem with the leafs is that the team is run by accountants who shuffle contracts around like monopoly cards without much regard or consideration for the players hockey value.

It's obvious that ownership has imposed a cap which is below $69 mil this season.

That means that without a true #1C or #1D they need to win by committee and outwork their opponents.

The problem is that while coach randy preaches hard work he often rewards his favourites with bigger contracts undue ice time. aka Clarkson

If players on this team were evaluated based on merit then Phaneuf and Franson would both be gone.

:laugh: I like where you're going with this. Happy fishing.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Interesting outcome.

Canes trade Gleason making too much at ~ $4 mil per to the Leafs.

Leafs buyout Gleason and take a cap hit for the next 4 years in the process.

Canes resign their former player for $1.2 mil now to a contract worthy of is contributions.

Carolina was able to creatively use the Leafs to correct their own contract mistake.

Now who can Nonis trade Clarkson to and try to do this same strategy?

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Interesting outcome.

Canes trade Gleason making too much at ~ $4 mil per to the Leafs.

Leafs buyout Gleason and take a cap hit for the next 4 years in the process.

Canes resign their former player for $1.2 mil now to a contract worthy of is contributions.

Carolina was able to creatively use the Leafs to correct their own contract mistake.

Now who can Nonis trade Clarkson to and try to do this same strategy?

Well except Carolina's still stuck with Liles, so if you mean the Leafs trading Clarkson for a similarly bad contract (Orpik?), then bringing him back for a year after a buyout... no thanks.

Also Clarkson's contract is buyout-proof, we've been over this.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
wasn't aki berg #8? so no, not too much of a stretch.

gleason knew how to play defense properly. however, his footspeed was too slow and the gap created by that being paired with rielly cause the large minus in both.

the leafs are moving more towards mobility, which i like.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Well except Carolina's still stuck with Liles, so if you mean the Leafs trading Clarkson for a similarly bad contract (Orpik?), then bringing him back for a year after a buyout... no thanks.

Also Clarkson's contract is buyout-proof, we've been over this.

I was just looking for a silver lining here. :wg:

Kyle Doobas*

Carolina was able to creatively use the Leafs to correct their own contract mistake?
You really believe that was their plan all along? :laugh:

It wasn't a 'creative' scheme to 'use' the Leafs. They traded a bad contract for another bad contract. We bought out the bad contract, and they signed him to a decent contract, while still paying Liles his $4.25M or whatever it was.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Tim Gleason is not worth $1.2M a year. He is way below a replacement-level player. He is not just totally bereft of offensive capability, as is easy to suggest, but a trainwreck defensively. The hockey prospectus puts him at -0.9 GVT defensively. He'll be one of the worst defencemen in the NHL again this year with Carolina. Even at the #6 hole.

Havoq

Havoq
Apr 24, 2013
Raleigh, NC

Actually, Liles has played very well in Carolina thus far. He fits into the system well and seems to be playing with a much higher confidence level. I think the move to smaller market was a great thing for him personally. Should be interesting to see how he comes out this next season after developing chemistry in the second half of last season.

Like Gleason was previously, I think he is making much more than he should - I'd much rather see him at ~2M-2.5M a year. However, I would not say we are "stuck with him".

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Low risk contract for a guy that can fill out your bottom 6 for cheap?

There's nothing wrong with that deal for Gleason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad