Confirmed with Link: Glass to Milwaukee

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.

Beyond the typical Twitter handwringing and proclamations that Poile has already given up on a youth movement, the move is sensible. Glass with one shot and poor faceoff numbers so far ... pretty much invisible. Nothing glaringly bad, but not what we flipped Nolan Patrick for performance wise. This also probably means that Olivier is about to return from IR or that we're about to see a callup later today.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville

Preds finally announce what the roster move. Glass down, Novak up.

So Olivier still on IR.
I don't see any issue with this. Should be a positive outcome for Glass. Forcing him into a new system as a center coupled with his overall lack of experience isn't really fair to him. I've stated before that I think centers, like defensemen, should probably spend more time developing in the AHL so they aren't forced to play wing or only get to play 8-10 sheltered minutes as center.
Hopefully he goes to Milwaukee, gets to play 20 minutes a night in all aspects of the game, comes back with a little polish and is ready to become an NHL center.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Good to see Novak get a shot. Guy had a good camp. 78 points in 91 AHL games. Over a point per game last season and 3A in one game this season

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Really not surprised by this based on what I saw in the last preseason game plus first 2 regular season ones. He just doesn't look like he belongs in the NHL right now. Hopefully some time in Milwaukee will help.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Carrying this over from another thread:

I don’t mind sending Glass down. I think it’s obvious he has some things to work on especially offensively and helping him re-gain his confidence in the AHL can’t be a bad thing.

With Glass down, I’d like to see Tomasino or even Novak as the 3C. I expect it to be Cousins but one can always hope.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Novak had a better camp than Glass; looked good on the eye test; would’ve made the team out of camp except Glass is a highly regarded draft choice that Poile had hand picked him to be 3C and he was penciled in before camp began. It didn’t work out yet. Now Novak gets a spot he probably earned. We’ll see if his good fall translates into real NHL games. Hope so.

Reactions: 101st_fan

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I'm still a bit baffled they chose both Glass and Tomasino over Afanasyev who looked the best of the three in preseason AND fits better in the bottom-six than either of those.

Reactions: OldFan

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Novak as 2C. Granlund to the wing. Tomasino 3C. Kunin down 3RW
I don't see anything this complicated happening.
When Hynes talks about line combinations he normally brings up pairs of guys that work together and then finding a third that fits in with the pair. That being said Granlund has played exclusively as a center for Hynes and he and Kunin are one of his "pairs" so that's two parts of that plan that just aren't going to happen.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I don't see anything this complicated happening.
When Hynes talks about line combinations he normally brings up pairs of guys that work together and then finding a third that fits in with the pair. That being said Granlund has played exclusively as a center for Hynes and he and Kunin are one of his "pairs" so that's two parts of that plan that just aren't going to happen.

Yeah it's a matter of finding someone who can replace what Jarnkrok was doing on that line really. I'd consider giving Trenin or Jeannot a look on that wing.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Yeah it's a matter of finding someone who can replace what Jarnkrok was doing on that line really. I'd consider giving Trenin or Jeannot a look on that wing.
They might do well there but I also feel like Tolvanen has been good there. He's getting shots off, playing full contact hockey, and showing up in the Dzone quite a bit. I personally would leave that alone for a while to see what happens.

Reactions: SouthNash

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Glass without a point in the preseason. 0 pts, 1 SOG, 2/11 (18.2%) at the dot in his two regular season games. Sending him down to get things moving in the right direction makes sense. Unfortunately what passes as a hockey writer in Nashville doesn't look at that depth .... just young player sent down so rail about "competitive rebuild" or "youth movement" not happening while Novak, an ELC player as well, gets the nod.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Glass without a point in the preseason. 0 pts, 1 SOG, 2/11 (18.2%) at the dot in his two regular season games. Sending him down to get things moving in the right direction makes sense. Unfortunately what passes as a hockey writer in Nashville doesn't look at that depth .... just young player sent down so rail about "competitive rebuild" or "youth movement" not happening while Novak, an ELC player as well, gets the nod.
I wasn't even going to bring up that foolishness from the Preds "beat writer". His time with and access to the team should be influencing informed opinions within the fanbase but instead he just regurgitates the ridiculousness he reads on Twitter.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
I wasn't even going to bring up that foolishness from the Preds "beat writer". His time with and access to the team should be influencing informed opinions within the fanbase but instead he just regurgitates the ridiculousness he reads on Twitter.

All of our blog writers want to be first and are incapable of recognizing a clearly incomplete transaction such as Glass down last night without a balancing move that wasn't known until the team announcements this morning .

A youth movement is never linear. Glass hasn't looked bad but he hasn't produced at all. He isn't getting the puck on net, not winning faceoffs, not making his linemates productive. Some time in the minors won't hurt him at 22 years old.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
I'm still a bit baffled they chose both Glass and Tomasino over Afanasyev who looked the best of the three in preseason AND fits better in the bottom-six than either of those.
Maybe Hynes doesn't believe in traditional bottom-six approach and Afanasyev was fighting for a top 9 spot or to replace someone on the herd line (traditional bottom six cropped into one line :laugh:)

I didn't catch any pre-season games, so I don't know if Egor deserved a look at the starting lineup over those two, just a thought.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I'm fine with this. Glass hasn't looked good so far.

I'm not worried yet about the return from the Ellis trade but... Let's hope he regains some confidence and is able to take a next step forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad