Movies: Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery (2022)

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Awesome way to do a sequel and I’m glad this will have its own tone and narrative separate from Knives Out

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Ohhh I like it. I really enjoyed the first movie but thought a sequel wouldn't be as good. But to do more of a spinoff style movie with Benoit Blanc is fantastic.

Like the cast too.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
So they are going to release it in theater, I guess a good way to make as much money with how much the rights cost them.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Does select theaters only mean a few, or will it be released in theaters throughout the country, just not every theater?

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Does select theaters only mean a few, or will it be released in theaters throughout the country, just not every theater?
Could be just a few but I am not sure if that means a fixed amount. I know it's a lot less than a wide release.

Limited theatrical release is a film distribution strategy of releasing a new film in a few theaters across a country, typically art house theaters in major metropolitan markets

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Really liked the first one, saw it in theaters twice so hope this can recapture some of what made the first one so good.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I really enjoyed it. This whodunit format is a much better avenue for Johnson to employ his intended misdirection and and subversion of expectations. The only issue is once the movie unveils the central motive underlying everything
It is, ironically as Blanc himself says, very obvious who the killer is. And it's almost cheeky to have it be that obvious and disappointing with how the big reveal unfolds as a crushing disappointment to Blanc who was looking for a challenging mystery to solve. There's a playfulness to what Johnson was going for with Blanc hilariously solving the murder mystery game 5 seconds after Miles says it started. But for me, watching the movie unfold i honestly thought it would have been more compelling if one of the suspects at least had some hidden reason to want both Miles and Andi dead. But thats just a personal thing, I thought it was a smart twist on a stupidly easy murder.

What wasn't smart was twofold. Blanc goes to all the trouble to fool the island's invitees and the host by faking Andi with her twin to catch the real killer. They both obviously had a tape recorder with them. Why not have the tape recorder with one of them and provoke a clear confession out of miles? The napkin being burned shouldn't have been as big a deal as it was. Then the alternative is also stupid for the sake of an explosive dismantling of Miles but Blanc basically hands Helen a bomb to strike back at Miles. Something that could have killed literally everyone in the house. It was pretty dumb that everyone survived to begin with but Blanc is supposed to solve murders not help someone commit revenge killings. In real life if that explosion had been worse, Blanc would be on the hook for prison time for sure. And last there's a little suspension of disbelief with them confronting Miles when they knew he still had a gun and they were trapped on an island with no escape. With Ransom in the first movie they knew they caught him unaware and unarmed.

But those aren't heavy criticisms just things that struck me as not the best writing decisions. Still a great follow up. Strong performances all around, Johnson's capacity for criticizing the affluent is still amusing without being too over the top or overt. And the most important part that came from Knives Out, I still want more Benoit Blanc murder mysteries if Johnson is willing to make them. We need more movies that aren't action CGI fests that can contend with modern blockbuster cinema, especially ones that make the audience think. Some questionable writing decisions with the finale in a movie that was perfect up to that point but really good stuff otherwise. 8/10.

• Haha
Reactions: Pranzo Oltranzista

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
This whodunit format is a much better avenue for Johnson to employ his intended misdirection and and subversion of expectations.
There's no subversion of anything in a genre where you expect misdirection and your expectations to be played with. At some point, you'll just have to admit that what he did with Star Wars was far more interesting than this barely playful game of cool and attractive. For subversion to be happening, you need an established order to subvert, to question, and (not literally in cinema) to overthrow - you need casualties, and if you're part of them, it's hard to appreciate the subversive splendor.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I just saw this in the theaters. Liked a lot, more than the first
I watched it on Netflix, had a great time, enjoyed it more than the first. I think Netflix should consider, and probably will, a longer theatrical window for the next movie.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
There's no subversion of anything in a genre where you expect misdirection and your expectations to be played with. At some point, you'll just have to admit that what he did with Star Wars was far more interesting than this barely playful game of cool and attractive. For subversion to be happening, you need an established order to subvert, to question, and (not literally in cinema) to overthrow - you need casualties, and if you're part of them, it's hard to appreciate the subversive splendor.
That's what I'm saying. It's better suited. I didn't say it was some marvelous subversion it just suited the way the plot unfolded.

And as to Star Wars, I'm willing to excuse a lot. I defended every episode of Kenobi after airing save for one. Johnson's subversions in Last Jedi were only interesting in the sense that they were inane and unnecessary.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
This film felt like a string of inside jokes for one-percenter celebrities. The people involved apparently had a lot of fun making this thing and they appear to be arrogant enough to believe that everyone else should also care that Jared Leto once released a cologne for your balls or whatever. Hated this smug movie.

I still recall when Hollywood had some voices from working class backgrounds who could tell stories with appeal to ordinary people. Seems we're way past that.

The one interesting thing was the really cool futuristic multi-spherical striped armchair featured in the pool scene that reminded me of some of the furniture from James L Brooks's film How Do You Know. But it's a blink-and-you'll'-miss-it moment. That thing alone probably costs 50 thousand dollars. The film's embarrassment of visual riches only further reinforces its arrogance.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad